Pop Can Stoves/Burners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Most of us know how to make these and have probably had a play with them at some point in time, but at the moment im on a real Alcohol stove kick as ive been trying to build a lightweight brew kit to use whilst out on bimbles.

So having had my day outside scuppered by the rain, i made a couple of pop can stoves, i was also lucky that the shop (Asda) had some cans in a lovely striped Orange Peel colour - just the job

Each stove is made from the a couple of base sections, there is a wall inside that is cut from the side wall of the can and a series of holes drilled at regular intervals around the top of the tin, usefully, the paint job on the tin, also helps with the spacing of the holes.

DSCN5332.jpg

once made, i put in just enough fuel to cover the convex inner section and lit them up, they bloom surprisingly quickly and as Hugo can attest from last week, this style of burner also boils a cup of water pretty quickly as well, albeit not as quickly as the side burning stove i also had with me last week on our bimble.

DSCN5338.jpg

I prefer this style over the typical penny stove, as it doesn't need a separate priming pan and i feel it is safer, sure, it also burns fuel quicker, but as im only going to use it/them as part of a lightweight kit to boil water in for a brew or to rehydrate some food, it fits the bill perfectly, my whole brew kit, including a small bottle of fuel (enough for four 3/4 pint brews) but excluding water, weights 8oz.

Few of the others ive made recently in order to try and find a style & size i like the most, from top burners that need a pot stand to side burners that don't

DSCN5348.jpg

Im still undecided as to which on e i like the most, each has it's own merits, perfect excuse to keep playing i guess.:rolleyes:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Rain stop's play seam to be norm at the moment, but it does give us outdoor workers a change to tinker with some indoor projects!:)
Nice job my old mate!, Look forward to seeing one of these working on wednesday! (weather permitting):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE