Poor blackbird, I think

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Heard a noise in the garden of a bird tweeting, sounded like it was in distress. Looked out of the window to see what I initially thought was a pigeon, surrounded by a load of feathers. Assuming it had been part mauled by a cat I was just pondering what to do when it moved and I saw it was sitting on top of another bird, a blackbird, I think. On closer look, even though I didn't have my glasses or a camera, sadly, it wasn't a pigeon but some sort of bird of prey. Before I could fetch anything, it flew off, carrying the smaller bird with it.

Nature, red in tooth and claw...

Any idea what the raptor could have been? Didn't look like a kestrel but not really an expert. Certainly wasn't big enough to be one of the local buzzards

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sounds like a Sparrowhawk to me, they love mugging songbirds in confined spaces: Size fits, too; same size as a pigeon and looks much like a cuckoo.................atb mac

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you thought it was a pigeon it was certainly a sparrowhawk. Hopefully the blackbird went back to to feed the hawk's chicks, it's that time of year :). Life lives on life. You must have a really good, balanced wildlife if the hawk (top predator) thinks it's good hunting there :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
We had a grandstand view last week of a sparrowhawk flying round a neighbours bush trying to get the bluetits.

A friend of my wife used the expression "feather grenade" to desribe the moment a sparrowhawk strikes; red in tooth and claw indeed...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
How exciting... Shame for the blackbird, of course, but we've got a small suburban garden that normally has two dogs trashing it

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I was sitting watching our chickens pecking away near the seed holder with a few sparrows around them, then a squark and one of the sparrows was snatched away by a hawk.. Chicken looked very surprised (and possibly thankful)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE