Poncho vs Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 13, 2010
Lancaster UK
Hey just trying to work out what is the best option. Here's what I have in mind either one of the Decathlon Tarps or one of those Dutch Army ponchos.

As far as I can see after postage they both work out the same. This will be used in conjunction with a a bivvy bag with a view to later (maybe a years time) get a hammock though that is just a pipe dream for now.(uk) spring summer and probably early Autumn.

They both work out at roughly the same price after P&P. I mean the advantage with the poncho I suppose is that I won't need a coat.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=126&products_id=1689
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/tarp-3243880/

Thanks,
Oliver

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
A poncho will be too small for a hammock as well, so I would go with the tarp. Even a 3x3m on the diagonal is a bit small if it is really bucketing it down when you are in a hammock, IMHO; it's OK but a bit more round the edges is better, from my limited experience. You cant go wrong with a 3x3 DD Tarp to begin with & they are cheap enough; spend the extra £10 & you wont regret it.

Also a ponch sounds good but if it's your shelter then you have to take it out with you, whatever the weather (assuming you always want some shelter available for when it rains); if it's cold you would have a thicker coat on anyway & in the summer it may be too hot. Just something to think about, from my limited experience.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Actually I have both; The poncho as a raincover while on the move and a tarp for the same purpose when stationary.
The poncho is great, because it fits over me and my rucksack, but is, as said, a bit small to sleep under. The tarp is large enough to sleep under, being 3.5x2.7 mtrs.

Jan 10, 2011
cornwall
if you can get a bigger poncho take an umberela as well and you are sorted.

i use a ventile poncho this is my shealter and jacket and with gaiters on you dont need waterproof trousers. umberlas are amazing you can get a 70 mph umberla from ebay for £18

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got the decathalon tarp, threw the poles away, and used it quite a bit with a bivvy bag. Now got a hammock but not used it yet. I have used my walking poles when there has been no where to tie it off.

Rob

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have spent many nights under ponchos, but now use a DD tarp which is much bigger and lighter.

Get yourself a DD or similar, and a set of water proofs. That way you can sleep in comfort, with plenty of space for cooking / admin and still be free to leave your shelter when it rains.

Simon

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have the Decathlon tarp, It's very good for the price.
Given the choice for shelter, I'd have the tarp every time.
Ponchos are a little small to make a decent shelter in poor weather.
I generally take a poncho as well.
If the weather really deteriorates, I can rig up the poncho as a wind/rain break when I make camp.
The downside of using a poncho as a shelter, which often gets overlooked, is that if the weather is bad when you're making camp, you have to take off your shell layer to make your shelter.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
With a bit of jiggery-pokery a tarp can be used as a poncho/cape, I have used my Hilleberg as such.

Some poncho's can fasten together, so if you carry two ponchos or are traveling with someone else then you have the option of bolting two together to cover a larger area.

Another alternative is to make your own 'ideal' tarp/poncho/cape combination, see this thread on another forum for some ideas.

:)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I sleep under a tarp but carry a poncho in my rucksack on day-long bimbles to shelter under in inclement weather. Weighs next to nothing gives you a pleasant environment in which to have a brew.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
For me - Poncho = Groundsheet, Tarp = Shelter. My poncho is a coleman 3 in 1 camping jobby - but it's fleece lined so nice and snug. Makes a good pillow and a makeshift hammock underblanket too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE