Human Tent Pole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Here's a thing then.
Was out with a friend today.
It was blowing a hoolie and frequent rain squalls were coming in.
I had a poncho. Friend doesn't like ponchos.
It came to that point when it was time for a break, but the weather wasn't letting up. It was far too windy to set the poncho up as a tarp.
So what I did (and what I've done on several occasions) is set the poncho up as a tent. With me as the tent pole.
This has the added advantage that you don't need to take it off to do so.
All you do is sit down, and then stake out the four corners with a peg, with you acting as a central pole.
I've even found you can withdraw your head out of the hood to do things (take a swig from a bottle, eat your sarnie) inside the tent and protected from the weather.
Of course, this is a one-person only 'tent'.

My friend, who is otherwise anti-ponchos, was freaked out by it and said he was now going to buy a poncho.

Am I the only one who does this? I can't believe I am.
So, a simple question - have any of you ever done similar? Or if this a new idea to you too?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Whilst in the army in Germany, driving armoured vehicles we did much the same when driving/ commanding the vehicles, better than a water proof jacket!

Reactions: Lavvujim

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Bedouins do this with the heavy coat they wear, they usually use a stick as a pole, normally the one they use to drive the camels, when caught in a sand storm they simply sit down and convert their coat into a tent.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
It’s a survival strategy with a tea candle to generate warmth.
I recently attended a concert at the Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl. We had a light (and much needed) rainfall. I brought my two polish shelter halves and was nicely cocooned with my girl and a bottle of wine.

Reactions: Lavvujim

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I'm amused to read this, as just yesterday in torrential rain I briefly became a 'Tent Pole' with surprising success...:)

I was in the wood clearing a potential Bivvy site of low undergrowth, Brambles etc: The day had turned grey with half a Gale blowing, so I rigged my Poncho as a Tarp shelter, just pegged down one side and Bungeed the other side up to Bushes for shelter while I made a brew.
Down came the rain...eventually as the evening approached I made the decision to move. Packed the Bergan, loosened the hood drawstring and stuck my head through the Poncho, still anchored to the ground and Bushes...:laugh:
It is possible..although it helps if you are using stretchy Bungees. From there, protected by the Poncho from the rain it's possible to un peg and un hook and simply walk away.
Arrived home in the continued downpour with wet legs, but only from below the knee down..:thumbsup:

Reactions: Kav

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I'm amused to read this, as just yesterday in torrential rain I briefly became a 'Tent Pole' with surprising success...:)

I was in the wood clearing a potential Bivvy site of low undergrowth, Brambles etc: The day had turned grey with half a Gale blowing, so I rigged my Poncho as a Tarp shelter, just pegged down one side and Bungeed the other side up to Bushes for shelter while I made a brew.
Down came the rain...eventually as the evening approached I made the decision to move. Packed the Bergan, loosened the hood drawstring and stuck my head through the Poncho, still anchored to the ground and Bushes...:laugh:
It is possible..although it helps if you are using stretchy Bungees. From there, protected by the Poncho from the rain it's possible to un peg and un hook and simply walk away.
Arrived home in the continued downpour with wet legs, but only from below the knee down..:thumbsup:
It's good to see you somewhere, hope all is good?

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Ponchos, wool blankets, fjelldukens, bothy bags, tarps, palatkas , boat coats, space
blankets, Mors’ supershelter components- For all of our sophisticated kit a big piece of cloth is just as valuable as that custom knife.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's the same principle that's used in group shelters: you and your fellow sufferers grab the edge of the shelter and then, in a seamless, coordinated effort(!), lift it up and over yourselves, sitting down on the edge. The fabric gets held in place by as many 'poles' as you have and it's amazing how quickly you collectively generate a real fug in there. Great for short breaks in rubbish conditions, particularly when out on the mountains. I think they still make them and in a variety of sizes, from 2 to 12 person shelters.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE