Ponassing Trout (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Caught 2 beautiful Rainbow Trout whilst out fishing yesterday, but only managed to cook them today.
I ponassed one, and the other was BBQ'd by the parents :rolleyes:

As you can see, I also pushed a small potato into the embers also, but that didnt turn out to be such a success :eek:

And here's me, had to get a photo of myself in :D

Ponassed Trout, with cracked black pepper and a generous dose of mayonnaise - truly scrumptious

I've cooked fish like this a few times now, and I think its wonderfull.
The fish stays nice and juicy and gets a lovely light crust around it, along with a faint taste of smoke.
If you havn't already tried this way of cooking, I hope I have encouraged you too try it :)

Thanks for reading,
Dan

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive tryed it a few times and its great. Nice one Dan.
Even better when you've been living off a few roots and nuts for a few days. Its a real bonus, and I eat fish more regularly now as a result. Popped one on the bbq this weekend myself.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oooh, that's making me hungry just looking at it. It's one of my fave ways to cook fish. I drizzle a little butter over it too.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Cheers guys, I had wished that I picked up some Wood Sorrel to give that subtle lemony flavour, but I didnt :11doh:

To prepare the fish I more or less copied off Mearsy when he was in Alaska -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiU4DMt5Dc (shows you about half way through this clip) - but to remove the back bone I reached to the base of the spine using my thumb and forefinger, then 'nipped' the spine away from the flesh all the way down the fish. Hope this makes sense.
And I was only left with a few bones, of which I just picked out. And didnt have to pick any bones out my mouth after cooking :D

Dan.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have been wanting to try that for a while but have not got round to it yet. I think you have just given me the insperation I needed. Thanks for sharing.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Every time i open this thread i look at the fish and just drool myself into some sort of dazed stupor.
i MUST try this soon.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
That trout looks delicious mate , what a brilliant way to cook them
I'll be trying that oot defo .. cheers for sharing ...

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I always looked down on this as one of those things that Mears does, so the herd follows. After trying it though, it is the best way to cook fish without a shadow of a doubt! I love how it crisps up and yet underneath remains moist and flavoursome. I personally crack a load of coarse sea salt over the fish before propping it up, but not too much. ;)

Cledan99

Apr 24, 2010
mid wales
Well I've done this too, and although its been done by RM a few times, My first experience was in a book called the encyclopedia of north american indian tribes.
I always smear honey over my trout after removing the bones...This locks in the moisture
As to the best way to o this I can only say the secret is in lots of practice.
I was about to post my pics , but it seems I can't:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE