Camp Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I went on another trout fishing trip to the Jackson River (20-22 April). Here is some of my grub:

On Wednesday evening I prepared an potato soup in my Swiss Army mess kit over the fire. Here are the ingredients from top; left to right. Dried parsley (sprinkle or two to taste), 1 can (12 oz) of evaporated milk, salt / pepper, 1 1/2 cup of diced potatoes, 1/4 cup of carrots, 1/4 cup of celery, 1/2 cup of onions and 1/2 cup of chopped cooked ham.
DSCN1812.jpg

Sweat the onions and celery in about a tablespoon of butter.
DSCN1818.jpg

Add to the celery and onions the potatoes, carrots, ham and 1 1/2 cups of water. Simmer on a medium fire for about an hour.
DSCN1819.jpg

Then add a sprinkle of parsley, salt, pepper and the evaporated milk. Simmer for 15 minutes and serve with crackers or bread.
DSCN1823.jpg

Mess call! Soup and crackers. Sorry, not a steady picture.
DSCN1839.jpg

While I was eating soup, I put my dessert on to boil / bake. I did the prep while the soup was simmering. The Bakepacker grid in a 2 QT pot with one inch of water. The "just add water" choccy chip muffin mix and an turkey roaster oven bag.
DSCN1830.jpg

Use just enough water to "mix" the mix in the bag.
DSCN1831.jpg

Place the bagged mix in the pot and spread over the grid. Fold the excess bag loosely down on top of the mix.
DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1834.jpg

Cover and boil on a medium heat for twenty minutes. Then take off the fire and let set for 5 minutes before removing lid.
DSCN1835.jpg

The big choccy chip muffin is done.
DSCN1840.jpg

I had some of the muffin for my dessert and saved the rest for my quick breakfast Thursday, before heading out to fish for trout. My breakfast of tea, choccy chip muffin, instant grits and cold ham on bread.
DSCN1846.jpg

Thursday evening's meal, Tea, trout, instant mashed potatoes, veggies and bread. Sorry the picture is a little out of focus.
DSCN1865.jpg

I had a great time fishing and preparing my meals. Thanks for looking.

Gordy

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for the kind comments Martin, Cliff, Neil, Ch@rlie and Simon. I like fixin' good camp food and trying different things.

Gordy,
Associate Across the Pond (AATP) Member of the Midlands Sergeant Major's Mess :D

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
P.S. - Apologize for the mess kit "Mess up"! Swedish Army mess kit. It is almost as universal as the vaunted Swiss Army Knife, though. I rush my thoughts sometimes. :nutkick:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Looks great, thanks for sharing. I've just finished a curry but I'd have a go at some of that now if I could! How did you catch the trout Gordy? Fly or spin casting?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Grits is like porridge made with ground corn instead of oats; good stuff it is to, mates of mine fry off grits in bacon fat too.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Gordy...that meal really looks terrific,i will try your potato soup and chocy muffin next camp..and i really like your plastic Mug !,i was in the 1-502 INf. of the 101st long time ago...heck i still have and use my G.I. messkit as well..use it almost everyday,having my dinner in it now as i write this...great post thanks for the pic's...vince g. 11B Inf....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
How did you catch the trout Gordy? Fly or spin casting?

These were caught with spinning tackle. I used to fly fish quite a lot, however, I can no longer wade the streams. The rocks on the stream / river bottom will contribute to me breaking the metatarsal bones of my feet. The complications of my foot deformity have forced me to change the way I do things. I still use the fly rod when I fish from my kayak or canoe, though.

Sniper - John, rik_uk3 has it on the grits and SM2000 describes it well too! These were just instant for a quick eat and go meal.

Vince G - Brother Widowmaker, it is quite possible we were in the Regiment at the same time! I was there from 85-Dec 88 before being force aligned to MI and the 311th. Sergeant G. consider yourself coined, the coin on the left is serial numbered and entered into the official Strike Force record. Shoot me a PM with your details!
scan0001-6.jpg

scan0002-3.jpg

Strike Force!

Gordy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A fellow stove collector and all round nice guy sent me grits all the way from New Jersey with various recipe ideas lol. I mentioned Twinkies to him once and had a box of 48 turn up a week later too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE