Polishing titanium.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is nothing new or difficult I just want to highlight how easy it is.

Some people, my son and to a lesser extent myself dislike the feel of coated/blasted titanium in the mouth. a first world problem I know. Anyroad today i had a go at polishing the bowls of a couple of long handled sporks. The coating comes off dead easy, a few seconds on the poishing wheel got most of it off and a few seconds more with a smaller diameter wheel with white final polishing paste in a drill got into the bowl of the tighter curved one finished the job. OK I then hand finished it with some Autosol on a rag but that was just me faffing. They are almost as shiny as the bought factory polished one but i couldnt do a pic that did then justice,

Qk3FJo2.jpg

The third one up is just to show a unpolished example and the top is the Vargo caribiner clip job i removed the spring from to make a pot lid lifting hook. I can't imagine ever wanting one on a lanyard, its hardly big enough for a racing spoon!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Snow Peak titanium Foon arrived arrived acouple of days back so I taped off the handle a d took it to the bench polisher and then a felt disc in the Dremmel to do the inside of the bowl where the big wheel wouldn't reach. I used white paste made for final polishing hard metals like stainless steel.

20211006_182121.jpg

Bottom one in pic. It feels a lot better in the mouth. I got it for shovelling in ramen. Unfortunately it will no doubt be used on chips and beens more!

ATB

Tom

PS I just couldn't work out what the markings on the back of the handle were about. I googled it for about a hour but no one could tell me, then a son walked in looked at it and emediately said "R is for rice, W for water. You put the rice in the pot , push the handle until it hits the bottom and the amount of water you need to add to that amount of rice is shown " , 'gave me a look that made me feel senile and wandered off looking for food...

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's nothing ! I once spent a full day polishing 450 inert 7.92mm rounds to fill 2 BESA belts to go with a couple of deactivated guns I once had. The belts were so pretty and shiny we used to use them , a 100 link of 7.62 and full belt of 30-06 for a M1919A4 as Xmas decorations. All gone now but I do still have a unissued bronze bomb disposal team shovel all polished up and Renaisance Waxed up on a beam I use as a reflector for a candle holder I made.

AtB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE