Polishing titanium.

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

tombear

Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This is nothing new or difficult I just want to highlight how easy it is.

Some people, my son and to a lesser extent myself dislike the feel of coated/blasted titanium in the mouth. a first world problem I know. Anyroad today i had a go at polishing the bowls of a couple of long handled sporks. The coating comes off dead easy, a few seconds on the poishing wheel got most of it off and a few seconds more with a smaller diameter wheel with white final polishing paste in a drill got into the bowl of the tighter curved one finished the job. OK I then hand finished it with some Autosol on a rag but that was just me faffing. They are almost as shiny as the bought factory polished one but i couldnt do a pic that did then justice,

Qk3FJo2.jpg

The third one up is just to show a unpolished example and the top is the Vargo caribiner clip job i removed the spring from to make a pot lid lifting hook. I can't imagine ever wanting one on a lanyard, its hardly big enough for a racing spoon!

ATB

Tom

tombear

Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Snow Peak titanium Foon arrived arrived acouple of days back so I taped off the handle a d took it to the bench polisher and then a felt disc in the Dremmel to do the inside of the bowl where the big wheel wouldn't reach. I used white paste made for final polishing hard metals like stainless steel.

20211006_182121.jpg

Bottom one in pic. It feels a lot better in the mouth. I got it for shovelling in ramen. Unfortunately it will no doubt be used on chips and beens more!

ATB

Tom

PS I just couldn't work out what the markings on the back of the handle were about. I googled it for about a hour but no one could tell me, then a son walked in looked at it and emediately said "R is for rice, W for water. You put the rice in the pot , push the handle until it hits the bottom and the amount of water you need to add to that amount of rice is shown " , 'gave me a look that made me feel senile and wandered off looking for food...

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

tombear

Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That's nothing ! I once spent a full day polishing 450 inert 7.92mm rounds to fill 2 BESA belts to go with a couple of deactivated guns I once had. The belts were so pretty and shiny we used to use them , a 100 link of 7.62 and full belt of 30-06 for a M1919A4 as Xmas decorations. All gone now but I do still have a unissued bronze bomb disposal team shovel all polished up and Renaisance Waxed up on a beam I use as a reflector for a candle holder I made.

AtB

Tom

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.