Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If it was this one then it was mine

PITCH1.jpg

I did the tripod out of wilko clothes poles. Need some adjusting as they sank into the ground but other than that they were fine, left me loads of room and I used a IPK sheet as a groundsheet.

Reason for the tarp as well was I'd seen the forecast and wanted a dry admin area :rolleyes:

Very nice, is there a way you could put the feet of the tripod on the bottom of the tent? Like putting an eyelet in to slot it into? That would solve the sinking problem.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very nice, is there a way you could put the feet of the tripod on the bottom of the tent? Like putting an eyelet in to slot it into? That would solve the sinking problem.

You could do that but it wasn't that much of a problem to deal with. I just pushed the ends into the ground til they were firm and adjusted to the new length required.

That's the advantage of using the adjustable clothes props, they extend up to about 8ft :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could do that but it wasn't that much of a problem to deal with. I just pushed the ends into the ground til they were firm and adjusted to the new length required.

That's the advantage of using the adjustable clothes props, they extend up to about 8ft :D

Do you still need to lash them together at the top Steve if you use the extending poles ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Easier if you do lash the poles together.

I've put rubber walking stick ferrules on the bottom of my poles,gives good purchase on drier ground but will still dig into softer.

As for co2, I reckon if you leave the bottom of the entrance open then that should allow the gas to escape as it sinks.

Have it fully open then no problem.
The tent should hold heat door open or not, if the source of heat is continious and it's not windy I reckon.

Try some of those co2 indicators when experimenting with stoves.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do you still need to lash them together at the top Steve if you use the extending poles ?

As Tom said Rich, it's a lot easier to keep them lashed.

I did that first then measured them against one of the edges of the poncho (from peak to eyelet) to get a rough height. I spread them out into a tripod and put the ponchos over the tripod. I then pushed the poles into the ground so they were seated firmly. Once that was done I just extended the poles the little bit that was needed for final adjustment.

If the weather's decent tomorrow I'll get it out in the garden and take some pics for folks :)

I've put rubber walking stick ferrules on the bottom of my poles,gives good purchase on drier ground but will still dig into softer.

That's a good idea, I'll have to see if I can get some before next weekend

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just check my scotch-eyed auger and it fits the wilko poles perfect. I'm going to play around with some split logs with a recess in to take the poles on soft ground.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Just got a new one of these on ebay - £22.95 + post. So I guess prices are coming down on 'the bay'. Can't wait for it to arrive. The same guy has a grade 1 at £12.95 buy now (as of the date of this post) - Gregorymilitaria - 100% feedback etc.

Might be worth a look for any one interested

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Well after reading this thread with much interest i couldnt resist any more and brought one.I paid £19.99 including p&p from ebay so i am quite happy with that:) Now got to waterproof it ;) I feel like i followed like a sheep but could not help it. Baaa Baahhaa:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I think even I would be interested in that group buy!
f it's anything like the same quality or internal space as the US army pup tent I'd like one!

the cone shape should allow wind to flow past most of the tent, not sure I'd wear it though ;)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Used mine in anger this last weekend in Monmouthshire, near Llanthony. Heavy rain proved little problem for it, and no added waterproofer either. Canvas of that type shouldn't really need it after the first wetting anyway.

I am still tempted by the tripod suggestion though, just to eke out a bit more space. Of course then I may need to waterproof it as the poles will be touching the canvas inner !

A better cut groundsheet might also look a bit better than the oblong I chucked inside.

And if it can cope with last weekend I shall use it through the winter very happily. Perhaps the main advantage is the speed of erection. I hate messing about with poles on more complex tents, usually in the rain, whilst you and your kit get a soaking. With this you're in shelter in a few moments.

Next trial will be on Cader Idris, lets hope for some snow.

Richard

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I used mine at Rough Close last weekend, there was plenty of the wet stuff and I haven't treated mine yet. I did the internal tripod and worried about water wicking in from the canvas sat on the poles... there were no issues at all. The only water in the tipi was from my boots on the groundsheet. Happy days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE