Pod hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
At the BCUK meetup, I was lucky enough to borrow a Pod hammock from Tony

Although equipped with bivvy bag and mat, I jumped at the chance of trying a hammock - I've never slept in one

So I hot-footed off with the hammock and found a shady, secluded spot to sling it:

Picture18.jpg

This took all of 5 minutes due to the locking straps (no knots required) and carabiners - the only thing to think about is how tightly to stretch it; as pictured turned out to be fine

I then jumped in, managed not to fall out again, and found it to be very comfortable

I slung my hootchie close to the hammock as we were expecting rain (yes, Simon, it did rain on Friday night :eek:):) and stowed my gear underneath:

Picture14.jpg

And what a lovely couple of nights' sleep I had, tucked up in my sleeping bag, reading Graves' book by the light of my headlamp, listening to the rain pattering on the hootchie

One of these is defintely on my must-buy list (but after I get myself a camera, these pictures were taken with my phone :yikes:)

Many thanks for the loan of the hammock, Tony - perhaps you can put up the details of where to get these (I forgot to write it down :roll:)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Is that a Swedish army trangia I see in the second picture, under the hammock?? :wink: :eek:): Pretty good pictures, if you think of that they're taken with a cellphone... :biggthump

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Yeah cheers Tone!

The first night I was using a cheapo hammock that looked like a string vest. I woke up the next morning with my toes touching my forehead (well thats what I felt like)

Tone kindly lent me the smaller single person pod and I have to say I was well impressed, the second night was bliss and although I deflated my Thermarest to mould to my body I found it had popped out from under my body and could feel the cold on my left when I woke up.

All in all the Pod was a great bit of kit and really turned it round for me in the comfort stakes.

Thanks once again Tone

Paul

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Don't thank me! Thank Dave from Bush Kit Bush Kit He was kind enough to send a couple of samples for the Meet Up and for us to review.

It was good that multiple people have got to sleep in them, Dave Farrant slept in the Pro Pod at the Gathering and he had a great nights sleep :biggthump

We'll have more of a review on it over the coming months.

Thanks guys

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
boaty said:
Yep, great bit of kit - kept me supplied with hot coffee and really great meals :super:
Well, Swedish Army Mess Cookers are like AK-47's! They're reliable, robust, cheap, and there's a lot of them in circulation......!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You need a cover of some sort as it's not waterproof. I presume that this allows for breath-ability.. They've brought out a tarp for it but I've no idea if it's any better than a basha you can pick up anywhere. i will give Dave a call and find out more about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE