Pocket carry munchies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A friend went to Costco and gave me a big bag of smoked almolds. Yum. But I think I scarfed a kilo whilst watching an episode of Boardwalk Empire, the salt of which also made me drink rather more rum than I had planned. Talk about Nutty Slack next day.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
I have never smoked almonds, sounds like a rather dodgy roll up to me.
Nothing dodgy at all, unless you try to stomp them into a Peterson or Stanwell smoking pipe or roll them up as you say, or something like that....never tried that... :cigar:
They are actually quite easy to make.
All you need is a smoker (homebuilt or factory made), aluminium foil or tray, almonds, some peanut oil (or similar oil with a more or less neutral taste) and some salt.
Depending on humidity, temperature (both inside smoker and outside temp), and amount of almonds you smoke them for 30 minutes up to 2 hours. You want to hot smoke them, not cold smoke. I prefer around 1 hour or slightly more, with a temperature of 90 to 120 degrees C. (depending on outside temperature – if I smoke them during winter here in Norway, I get best results with a temperature in the higher end).
For a small portion (actually too small….these munchies go fast) use 250-300 grams of almonds, a spoonful of oil and amount of salt to your likening. Mix in a bowl and pour them on a piece of alu foil formed as a tray and place in the smoker. Adjust smoke and heat and wait. You may want to «stir» the almonds after about half an hour or so – especially if you are smoking a large amount (considerable more than 250 grams). When the almonds are finished smoked, they will be soft when you take them out of the smoker. Let them cool, and they will be “hard” and crunchy with a perfect taste of….well….smoked almonds.
Be careful with the salt. A small amount go a long way. I know some people prefer to salt after the almonds are smoked, but I prefer that the salt is smoked together with the almonds.
For those who like a somewhat hotter variant, just use some cayenne pepper or chili together with the salt. Personally, I prefer them with salt only.

Reactions: Toddy

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK
It's been funny shopping online for foodstuffs instead of going to the shops myself.
Our household is vegetarian, and one of us is lactose intolerant and another is gluten sensitive, so lock down could have been very difficult.
Thankfully my pantry was well plenished and we've managed fine, well, once Dove's Farm decided to skip the chancers buying up the GF flour in the supermarkets and selling it at ten times cost on eBay, and supplied catering sized packs to folks.

I have found some really excellent suppliers though :)

One was Real Food Source. Based in Falkirk they supply whole foods, like nuts and dried fruits.
Today's deliver was mostly mango products.
Dried mango slices ....2kgs thereof .....and we're already guzzling :rolleyes2: and wee eco packs of mango balls, with coconut. Himself is very pleased :)
He's just said that a handful of the dried mango in his pocket and it'd be brilliant when out for a walk.
So, good stuff :)
Happy to recommend.
The wee mango and coconut balls are very tasty, and Himself's already well into the pack.
I think I might buy a selection and put them into folks Christmas parcels instead of yet more chocolate stuff.
It gets a tad ridiculous when we're still eating Christmas chocolate and Easter eggs are due too.

What else is good to stuff in a pocket for a munchy when out though ? I like nuts, but a lot of folks teeth won't deal with nuts.
I like to forage, but sometimes something easy to hand just suits.

M
Popcorn...the sweet stuff. Feather light, so hardly anything to carry and I find it works a treat. Nuts would be usual but they are quite heavy.

I always carry something sweet for those moments where it's cold, wet, going dark and you just need something to cheer you up on my walks, and quick energy. Amazing how mood and energy is totally affected by a warm drink or a sweet.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Popcorn...the sweet stuff. Feather light, so hardly anything to carry and I find it works a treat. Nuts would be usual but they are quite heavy.

I always carry something sweet for those moments where it's cold, wet, going dark and you just need something to cheer you up on my walks, and quick energy. Amazing how mood and energy is totally affected by a warm drink or a sweet.
I usually have a small bag of fruit jelly sweets in my backpack. I don't really like them, so I won't eat them unless I really need the extra energy boost (but then they are great) and they'll last "forever" in the hip belt pocket. :)

Reactions: fingertrouble

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Make your own. Curried and roasted walnuts or pecans, which ever you can afford. My kids declare that the grooves hold more spice than some bald nuts like almonds.
Measure all this before you start. It is so quick, you can eat in 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Find a deep pot & big spoon and a big sheet pan.

- 4C pecan or walnut halves
- 2 tbsp veg oil in the pot
- 2 tsp cumin seed + 2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-4 tsp curry powder as you like
- 2-3 tbsp soya sauce (light or dark, you decide)
Ready?
>Heat the pot, add the seed until it begins to pop.
>Add the nuts and begin to stir non-stop.
>Add the curry powder and salt, keep stirring.
>Sprinkle the soya sauce, stir, it's the glue to stick the curry to the nuts.
>Heated through? Smoke? Toxic fumes?

>Off the heat, spread on the sheet and into the oven 8-10 minutes.
>Watch as they burn easily.
You're done.
Two batches and the pot is so cruddy and smokey, you have to wash up to start over.

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK
I usually have a small bag of fruit jelly sweets in my backpack. I don't really like them, so I won't eat them unless I really need the extra energy boost (but then they are great) and they'll last "forever" in the hip belt pocket. :)
Wine gums was my classic. They do eventually go off though...I found that the hard way...ugh. Even in a plastic bag.

So do Tic Tacs, my replacement but it takes longer in the plastic box. They fade white, which is odd and lose their crunch, they go soggy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE