Pocket carry munchies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I buy dried fruit, almonds and nuts in big bags from BuyWholefoodsOnline. For a full day out in the hills, a 500 ml tub of dried fruits and mixed nuts is enough for the two of us, with plenty to spare. I normally stick to 2 dried figs, 2 dates and 1-2 handfull of mixed nuts as my total ration, but on a very long day out, I may have a few dried apricots or dried blueberries and some more almonds too. I am always amazed at how little is needed and it’s so easy to carry and eat. This is usually the only food we bring with us for a day hike, so not in addition to anything else. If I do bring sandwiches, fresh fruit or buns or something, then I only take a small tub of dried fruits and nuts.

Reactions: Toddy and TLM

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yeah, but it’s not really chocolate. There are other countries that say ours isn’t either but I’m ok with that!

Exactly, I generally only eat Lidl or Aldi chocolate , or german/belgian in general. A lot of the mainstream UK choclate now tastes awfull, i think its the aerican owners want to make it more in keepig with american recipes. Bit like american cookie recipes. I think id starve if I went to US. Apparently chlorine injected in to chicken, and loaves of bread have sugar added. !

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
With halloween approaching, keep an eye out on tesco especially as they have lots of small packets reduced just afterwards. I got several bags of mini skittles, worked out 5p a bag, lasted years.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Of course there's a little sugar in yeast bready formulas. That's for the yeast to ferment. That's so the dough fills with yeast farts for leavening. DIY.

All really big bakeries are the same.
The "bread" is a mechanically whipped foam of flour and water. Salt, yeast and sugar are added as "flavorings." Next, into the travelling oven so fast that the foam can't break and fall. You will find the explanation in McGee.

When I am unprepared to make my own bready things, I can order my needs from any one of several artisan bakers in the valley. Must admit for the quality I get, I might just as well quit making my own bready stuff at all.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Of course there's a little sugar in yeast bready formulas. That's for the yeast to ferment. That's so the dough fills with yeast farts for leavening. DIY.

All really big bakeries are the same.
The "bread" is a mechanically whipped foam of flour and water. Salt, yeast and sugar are added as "flavorings." Next, into the travelling oven so fast that the foam can't break and fall. You will find the explanation in McGee.

When I am unprepared to make my own bready things, I can order my needs from any one of several artisan bakers in the valley. Must admit for the quality I get, I might just as well quit making my own bready stuff at all.

when we make bread its about a teaspoon of sugar with the yeast to get it started
whethr its 8oz or 1lb of flour

sometimes a teaspoon of treacle for flavour depending on the recipe.
teaspoon salt for flavour i agree
But why add sugar for flavouring, doesnt make sense unless your making scones or brioch or buns..

the whipped up foam of flour and water sounds dodgy

I had a bad experience with warbuttons bread that I saw on offer for 30p, big mistake, lidl and aldi farmhouse bread at half the price of warbutons so much better. we get that for toast or a quick sandwich but proper bread is always home made. especially in winter as its almost time to get the range going.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The whipped foam of flour and water is fact. The other things are flavorings.
I always start my yeast in the usual warm water with brown sugar not matter what the bready thing might be. I have a multigrain "Best-For-Bread" grain mix flour that's too expensive at 100% so I usually make it up as 20% of the flour weight. That number is recommended in Gisslen: Professional Baking (culinary text book).

Next best thing here is the fresh Hallowe'en candy. I need a sack of the little OHenry choc bars to freeze.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Morrison’s used to have smoked almonds which were fab. Sadly no more!!
Smoked almonds are nice. Sadly we can't get them here, so I have started making my own with very good results.
I also like to carry a few sticks of biltong for a snack. Just cutting thin slices with my knife when sitting down for a rest, or having a pocketfull of ready made slices when walking

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Morrison’s used to have smoked almonds which were fab. Sadly no more!!
Pretty much all the supermarkets had Blue Diamond Smoked Almonds. Can’t find them anywhere now. Sainsbury’s do a ‘version’ that are horrible fake flavoured things, ignore them.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Exactly, I generally only eat Lidl or Aldi chocolate , or german/belgian in general. A lot of the mainstream UK choclate now tastes awfull, i think its the aerican owners want to make it more in keepig with american recipes. Bit like american cookie recipes. I think id starve if I went to US. Apparently chlorine injected in to chicken, and loaves of bread have sugar added. !
It’s not really American makers, Cadbury’s wasn’t even recognised as chocolate by the EU for years due to it being mainly vegetable fat. The best chocolate was always EU, like Lindt or Suchard. That was the luxury stuff that is now freely available in the likes of Lidl, and most shops to be honest.

Erm, Chorine isn’t injected into chickens, it’s used as a wash to kill Salmonella and Campylobacter. There was a bit of a fuss about it at the time, but please get your facts straight, it’s not injected into the meat. I could live without chicken meat to be honest, I don’t even like touching it, it’s a bacterial nightmare. Probably why it’s best heavily seasoned and deep fried, then it’s excellent.

After the birds are slaughtered and the carcases eviscerated, they are examined and then undergo a “final washing procedure”, where chemicals are applied as a spray or wash on the processing line, “or as an addition to the water used to lower the carcase temperature”.

Obviously there are sweet type breads, like brioche, or the good old English bun. I’m fairly sure if you went to America you’d find a choice like you do here, or could check the ingredients. Though, good luck getting Blue Diamond almonds, I miss those.

Biltong. I make mine, at least 40% salt, rest of it is up to you. I have some decent South African traditional stuff vac packed in the cupboard that’s really my favourite so far. It’s so easy to make, goes a long way even if added to soups. Chipotle flakes and smoked garlic with brown sugar works a treat too, good trail food alongside nutty apple and cinnamon flapjacks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE