Pocket carry munchies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Newly discovered this year was Cadbury Brunch Bars. Was a £1 for box of 6, but seems recently now £1 for box of 5.
Cereal bar, only half covered in chocolate.

And still https://traditionalsweets.com/ , though their travel tins aren't what I'd call pocket size.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I quite like kelp. We used to chew the stalks of the stuff when we were kids down at the shore, like chewing on a stalk of rhubarb, except not tangy, just sort of salty/make your mouth water, sort of. Hard to describe.
As a youngster I used to munch a stalk or so of raw rhubarb when I fancied an afternoon off school!!

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
A bulk buy of cheap(er) bananas when the local supermarket has them on sale, plus a dehydrator and a few minutes work, equals lots of yummy banana chips to bag up in reusable ziplock bags. If you have more chips than bags, store the rest in sealed jars for later use, if they last that long……

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Not read this whole thread but my local Pakistani grocers often has offers on big 700g bags of what they call luxury fruit and nut mix, two for twelve quid and its bloody good, loads of walnuts, cashews, sultanas, almonds. Bought for baking but realised that a small bag of that was easily lunch on a hike, maybe add a muesli bar from Lidl or any cheap supermarket offer, an apple and you’re done.
Teaching granny to suck eggs I guess but if you dont know Asian supermarkets are usually way cheaper for lentils, dried pulses and spices.

Reactions: Toddy

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
We get a lot of spices etc as you say from Wai Yee Hong in Bristol, not bad prices
They ( and otehr oriental supermarkets) often carry skyflakes, which are great crackers, plain and unsalted and great bread substitute, great with peanut butter and chocolate spread. perfect for DIY MRE. With not travelling anywhere for ages, been using Aldi mini breadsticks instead.

Best place if fond for dates and otehr trailmix type stuff is Home Bargains....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a franchise business in the city, the "Bulk Barn." And, their prices are at least 10% best in the city. They have all sorts of dried everything and a great variety of nuts. I found it easier to buy bulk stuff and blend it all in a BIG bowl to make bags of it. Alleviates the boredom of so much of the time on grouse hunting trips. Of course the damn birds show up when you have your hands and face full.

O'Henry chocolate bars have toffee and peanuts etc inside. The freshest stuff is made finger-sized to hand out to kids on Hallowe'en, end of October. Hunting on a day with -10C, frozen O'Henry bars are a heavenly treat!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to do challenge walks where you walk for 26, 40, 50 miles or any distance above usually 25 miles. I also did long walks in my own too. I'm someone who goes from loads of energy to dead on my feet if I get my nutrition wrong. Like the time I was steaming along on a challenge walk I did every year and really enjoyed. I was heading for a fast time then another issue I had kicked in. That's where if I'm putting effort in and don't eat a little and often I struggle to eat anything. I did the last quarter in twice the time I did the first three quarters. Since then I switched from cereal bays to fig rolls.

I used to tip two packs into two bags with one in pack and other in pocket of coat. Once the first v was empty I got the second one out. It worked well but occasionally it didn't. I won't elaborate but it was awkward in the hills. Still a good hill snack in moderation. Two packs isn't moderation!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I stopped carrying trail mix around with me hiking when I suddenly realized how fat I was getting despite loping about all over the place. But, I do have to eat something at about ten miles or I stop enjoying as everything becomes a bit of a slog. So, just raisins and oatmeal now. Cut out the nuts and smarties.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My personal preference if we are driving around a lot game-spotting, is apples and stinky cheeses. Cheap kids' lunch box drink boxes. While I don't hesitate to wipe my hands on my hunting clothes, the sweet stuff is just too sticky.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
O'Henry chocolate bars have toffee and peanuts etc inside. The freshest stuff is made finger-sized to hand out to kids on Hallowe'en, end of October. Hunting on a day with -10C, frozen O'Henry bars are a heavenly treat!

I just had to look that up as it sounded appetizing, untill I saw it was Hersheys and american, ive been bitten too often by things pretending to be chocolate, especially american or polish "chocolate"

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm not concerned. The makers of O'Henry have factories all over North America.
There are watchdogs of concern over the truth in ingredients. The threat of extreme litigation keeps them in line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE