Pocket Bellows - Telescopic, Light Weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
Every time I go camping I spend longer than I would care to with my face stuck inches from a fire blowing in life giving oxygen, having a beard this sometimes proves troublesome! Whether it's raining or just damp wood sometimes it just takes too long to get a fire going. Every time I come back from an overnight-er or a weekend trip I end up looking for some sort of bellows that's portable, well I finally found something!

Enter ... Pocket Bellows!

bH5vrVO.jpg

So the idea is fairly simple, it's an aluminium tube that extends similar to a rabbit ears antenna. The rabbit ears fail to "lock" in the open position when you cut the ends off to allow air to pass through. So these guys re-engineered it. I bought three, one for me, and two for presents.

a2t8oqS.jpg

I haven't had a chance to test them out, but I've a week long trip planned for the week of New Years and I'm sure there'll be no dry wood available! I'm hoping to get some snaps and maybe a video or two of it working on the trip, if I do I'll post up a review.

http://www.pocketbellows.com/ You can find them online, though international shipping is only available via their eBay page. Have a look at their wet wood video showing it used in anger. I can't wait to try it out.

Has anyone else used one of these? or anything similar to it?

Oh yeah, not affiliated with these guys, just a customer, hopefully a happy customer, but we'll see !

~Dan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It looks like a good old fashioned blow poker - I use various ones made from old arrows and Elder, though, admittedly, none of mine are telescopic...

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
Ozzy - you can get them shipped internationally, though maybe a group buy would be more cost effective. http://www.ebay.com/usr/pocketbellows

I really wanted something light weight and portable, as I generally carry too much anyway. They recommend not to use it as a poker, but I'm hoping it's robust enough to hold up to a bit of abuse.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ozzy - you can get them shipped internationally, though maybe a group buy would be more cost effective. http://www.ebay.com/usr/pocketbellows

I really wanted something light weight and portable, as I generally carry too much anyway. They recommend not to use it as a poker, but I'm hoping it's robust enough to hold up to a bit of abuse.
I never use the blow pokers I have to push wood around, only to push air into the fire - my wooden ones do not even get too close to the fire (for obvious reasons!) :)

Reactions: Toddy

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Last edited:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Can't recall which book I read it in (possibly Kephart or Rutstrum; I'll have to look), but a different option is to take a short metal tube, hammer one end almost flat and connect the other end to a length of surgical rubber tubing. Obviously the metal part goes towards the fire :D Less to go wrong than with a telescoping one, perhaps.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just fetling a satchel for when the weather improves , adding a few light weight bits like a 4 layer square of silver paper to go under a twig stove ( protects the ground and once cooled its a easy way to dispose of ashes etc).

Anyroad I recalled this thread and for what its worth I ended up picking up a telescopic backscratcher from a pound shop or B&M and pulled the rubber grip and metal hand off it. Its wider than the radio control aerial and does the job nicely. I can't imagine a pukka Pocket Bellows works any better.

AtB

Tom

Reactions: Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
D'oh! Seams i posted this back in '14!

Anyroad, the things are still available on eBay etc although some look narrower and have fixed pen clip ends which won't be so useful/suitable.

Atb

Tom

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I do like a good thread resurrection and I am also a latecomer to the pocket bellows advantages. I just bought a designed one in the tube as I felt it was a little bit fatter in diameter and the tube itself was handy to keep it clean to use on my mouth whilst living in a fire kit bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE