Poaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
Had a quick look but can`t find any threads about this subject, please forgive me if I missed any.
I`m 48 now and grew up with a dad who was a poacher. He was what I call an old school poacher..he did it chiefly to put food on our table during hard times and to make some pin money which he did by selling salmon to a wee fish shop in Helmsdale and the occasional haunch of venison to the local polisman who would then turn a blind eye. (note..the police have definately changed character over the years!!)
Nowadays I keep hearing about folks called `poachers` and the damage they do, the carnage they leave behind, but to me those folks are not truly poachers in the sense I know it.
They hit the highlands in vans and shoot indiscriminately, usually red deer, leaving behind dying injured beasts and taking meat from whatever actually dies regardless of quality, age or health.
I`ve driven past such sites where deer heads litter the ground, and blood is spattered yards in every direction. It`s horrendous.
Ditto the gamefish poachers who decimate lochs and rivers in just one night.
Dad would take what we needed...a couple of salmon, an elderly deer to last us a wee while. He was good at it and taught many a young local lad the art of poaching and responsible poaching..that is, don`t take more than you need, always clean up after you, and never leave a wounded creature behind.
Oh, and how to avoid the ghillie and gamie.... :D
I think the old fashioned poacher is dying out now, if not entirely gone. I see no auld fellas around the countryside following the deer paths or lying alongside a river bank guddling for fish (something dad was expert at and taught me to do)
and this may be partly due to the increase in what are now called countryside rangers patrolling and not, like the village polis of old, turning a blind eye to the family poacher, but prosecuting even the laddie taking the occasional pheasant.
I`ve often been accused of over romanticising poaching, the old style, that is.
But, the fact remains I grew up in a poaching family and when times were hard, as they often were, it saved us a great deal of genuine hunger.
And yes, those old poachers did have a code of sorts, and would have much to tell in the way of conservation that modern so called poachers wouldn`t give a damn about.
After all, simple common sense means you have to conserve a resource you want to keep coming back to....
They also knew more about the countryside and it`s inhabitants than many a modern ranger does nowadays, their ways seemed somehow more leisurely and the times they spent watching their prey and the surrounding landscape paid dividends in their understanding of how wildlife lived and functioned, and they were quick to spot any troubled areas and changes.
I know that modern political correctness means I have to say, I am not encouraging poaching in any way and this post is simply an anectodal trip down memory lane.
But I`d just like to raise a toast to the poacher of old, who had much to teach us about bushcraft, feeding ourselves from the land without raping the area, and in watching nature unfold and work in a seasonal rythym.
Dad`s dead now, he died at the end of last year. But I still remember what he did and taught, and with each change I see in the Highlands and how they are run around me, I gain more and more respect for those ways that were the legacy of older, more fitting country ways that are in danger of vanishing altogether. :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I think thats the difference, modern poachers haven't a clue and rampage wildly doing some serious damage, poachers past would take what they need (most would at least) and be quiet about it and do it neatly and quickly.
sustainablility was a requirement because you may have to rely on that resource again later on so charging in and taking out 10 deer would be a really bad idea.
i've eaten game bird at my grandparents where my nan has caught the look in my grandfathers eye and she's then berated him because he's not young anymore and shouldn't be out bagging birds!

poaching is illegal but its a way of life and has been for many people.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
Fantastic post, and a great way to remember your Father as well, I love many of the old books on the subject,

I also have had dealings first hand with the new style organised poachers, and its horrifying to deal with, mutliple refridgerator vans, quads, high power rifles, and in some cases people have lost upto 400 game birds in one night, and 20 deer from one site, the scary thing is the distance that people will travel now, we have had people caught in Cambridgeshire that had travelled from Newcastle!

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Fantastic post, and a great way to remember your Father as well, I love many of the old books on the subject,

I also have had dealings first hand with the new style organised poachers, and its horrifying to deal with, mutliple refridgerator vans, quads, high power rifles, and in some cases people have lost upto 400 game birds in one night, and 20 deer from one site, the scary thing is the distance that people will travel now, we have had people caught in Cambridgeshire that had travelled from Newcastle!

:eek:pure financial greed !-common thieves thats all they are !- those people can,t be called `poachers`surely thats the differance ,one for pot = poacher in my eyes!!

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
your right its actually a serious organised crime now, large groups of people involved and the backlash if you stand up to these people is even more frightening

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
excellent post. i do like a bit of 'foraging for the pot' myself, just the odd bit but never a red!
lovely way to remember your father

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
Brought back happy memories of my own dad. :)

As you say, different values, we always had a couple of rabbiting dogs in the house when I was a kid, I'm talking 1950's/early 60's. We lived in a pit village surrounded by countryside, the local rabbiting men never asked for permission as such from the farmers, but it was understood that so long as respect was shown to the crops and livestock, it was OK to work the hedge bottoms.

Happy days.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
What a great post. As previously mentioned, if you read some of the old Paochers books you get a real understanding of how much 'bushcraft' or countryside skills they had to know to be able to do it sucessfully over the years. Many of these books are available on Google Books & other sites, which are well worth a read. The old school poachers, for the most part, only took what they needed & did so with respect for the countryside. They seemed to be a very inventive lot (by necessity) with often clever & subtle ways of taking the game they needed to put food on their kitchen table. That is why many of us like the romantic idea of the skilled poacher out a dawn going about his business.

The other side of the coin is the taking of lots of animals for profit with no consideration for the stocks or the countryside in which they practise their deeds. Reading those 18th & 19th centuary books on poaching it seems that there have always been gangs going out to the country (useually from the city) to get as many deer, fish, game birds, eggs etc.. as they could before going back to town to sell them for a fat profit. The difference today is that they can do more damage in a short amount of time with a silenced rifle & can travel further to do it. It seems that this activity has a long tradition within some groups of people, along with hare coursing, that is still going strong today. They seemed to be joined by some of the newer arrivals to our shores who see this as profitable business; we have seen a lot of long lineing of rivers & beaches round here which are taking large amounts of fish, for example.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Great post! What your dad was doing was perfectlly honourable and to be admired. Poaching the way youur dad did it is just a continuation of subsistance hunting and foraging. Way back in the middle ages the nobles prevented the people from using their ancestral hunting rights, so that they could have exclusive ownership of game for sport hunting. The poacher was just someone who said "sod you" and continued to exercise his or her right to use their skills to exploit local resources to put food in the pot. Really enjoyed your post, you might like "Jack's Shed" forum BTW.

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
Many thanks for the replies guys. :) (and for the link to Jack`s Shed caliban :) )
Near me we have a couple of locals who still rabbit occasionally, it was heartening to see them bring their sons a month ago to show them how.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I know this is a bit of a tangent but i know a chap who does a bitt of rabbiting and ratting and he has such problems getting on land because people are very suspicious because of the lack of respect generally shown. But I also know landowners (in a different area) who cant find anyone to help keep the nibbly ones down!

It is a sweet memory post but as with many things talked about on the Forum relies on the individuals to be respectful and know enough not to do something daft, which often people think they do but it turns out otherwise. It is true that if more people were better informed it would help, id love to be able to put a bunny on the table now and again.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There is a new way to poach pheasants and it involves driving country lanes. Only time our family could or could not have poached - ;) - cmight have been the time we winged one on way down to family. A stiff clout round the head and it was in the car and on its way to a turkey and pheasant pie for the whole family (was Xmas and it made the countless turkey meals afterwards a bit better). Of course I deny all knowledge of what I have just typed if there's any officers around.

My family down WIltshire way earnt a lot of pheasant by beating. That is always an honest way to get game. Of course they only get the birds because the people shooting are more about the sport than the food. If they didn't give them out they'd probably go to waste. Still think they got absolutely sick of eating pheasant but when times were hard they had to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't landowners have a legal responsibility to keep rabbit popultions down. So I'd have thought a rabbiter would be welcomed on a lot of farms. Mind you round here you get spells of loads of rabbits then one saturday or sunday there's a lod of shotguns going off and the rabbits are no longer all over the place getting run over and other grusome ends.

Only skinned a shop bought rabbit once and it was so easy. The pheasant was hung from a set of step ladders in a greenhouse while it was plucked. Was easy to pluck except for some of the wing feathers. Of course I was only about 9 then. I still remember the pheasant and turkey pie. Best pie my Gran made and she was a good pie maker too.

I might be against the flow here but I don't rate hare coursers as anything like old school poachers but are as bad as wholesale poachers IMHO. Hare coursing is wrong to my eyes. Hunting of any kind should be about the food not the sport. As soon as pleasure becomes the greater part of it then it should stop or change back to its origins. I'm sure I'll get abuse for this from some saying it is not the country way but I say to you the original poster's Dad was what it is about not the people on horses blowing horns and chasing after hounds or people in a field in Merseyside watching dogs race to catch a hare (which most often they don't catch). Some country traditions have gone wrong IMHO and others that are right are dying out. Where's the justice in that?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Good post there Trish.

Brought back many happy memories of my own Father and Grandfather's poaching - God rest their - by now - "sun tanned" Souls.

One was from Sligo and the other from Skye.

Going poaching with them was like watching Victor Maclaglen and John Wayne play Dominoes. They bickered so much they made more noise than seagulls at a landfill site.

Thank God we had a Co-op nearby... :D

Liam

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Poaching is a way of life in certain parts of the U.S. as well. It has also taken a nasty turn here. There was a time, not too many years ago, when State game wardens did not go about armed. Now they do. The poachers or in most cases, "out of season" hunters have become more and more belligerent--and of course are armed. After a few cases of game wardens being shot and killed, they are, as far as I know, armed in most, if not all states. A sad state of affairs, and further evidence of the decline of modern society.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
What a fantastic post!
I have only done some poaching 'by accident' lol.
I had permission on some land for rabits and pigeion. But (and no one ever belives me!) just as I was 'swinging ' for a shot at a pigeion, I partridge flew up and got shot instead!.
I was only 15 at the time and was terrified that I would be thrown in jail!
I hid the dead bird and left.
When I told a shooting friend, he said 'Don't be so bl**dy daft got get the bird'!
So I did and had it for tea.
BTW have you noticed that no matter how well you shoot an animal, YOU always end up with the piec of meat with the shot in it! lol
Alan

As said by many others here, brought back memories of my Father. He was brought up in a very small rural area where "poaching" was the norm. Every day he would fetch something for supper. Salmon,trout,sewin,rabbit,pheseant . One story that I loved as a kid was he and a friend had "borrowed" a stick of dynamite from the mine sheds and after they lit and threw it they remembered they had not wrapped lead around it to sink it. The bank gave way and they got soaked. My uncle and grandfather on my mothers side also had a similar upbringing. they were from big family and every day on the way home from school or church they would go tickling for fish in the rivers.they would always have a clout for getting wet and dirtybut a pat on the back for getting the supper in.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
As raping nature with stolen dynamite wasnt bad enough, adding lead to ensure long term damage?? damn you father must hate you!
Dosnt sound like a memory to glorify to me and i hope you got smarter since you where a kid, if not may you have no or severely damaged kids to ensure your fathers will.
This storie seems to me, to be exaclty what the subject poster goes against in he's view of poachers.

I hunt kill and eat what nature offers me, the rules of nature is not always the same as the law of man so to me for it to be poaching somebody have to own it (not counting the king, here) by either growing or breading it. I have only poached two fish (two diffrent orcations) in my life and i eat both of them as i had no fresh meet, everything else have been provided by nature or state licensed.

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Metallic lead has very stable and has little bioavailablility. Its toxic effects are commonly misunderstood and exaggerated. Also I doubt a single instance of dynamite-fishing will do any more ecological damage than a little bit of gill-netting.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Metallic lead
Is there any other kind?
has very stable and has little bioavailablility.
Have you thought about how that corepond with animals being able to evovle? and that you should proberly not make it unstable and avaible in your bio habitat for that exact reason?
Its toxic effects are commonly misunderstood and exaggerated.
To my knowledge human scientists have been unable to detemin a lower level of lead exposure as untoxic in regards of brain cognition, but please enlighten me!

Also I doubt a single instance of dynamite-fishing will do any more ecological damage than a little bit of gill-netting.

If you use lead counterweights you might be right or else its an absurd logic to exscuse severe polution with mechanical devestation?!?! besides gill-netting is heavely regulated because IT IS considered a major factor to ecological damage! and would in any woodcraft sense or sustainble lifestyle, be totaly idotical anyway, even if you only did it once!!!

If you cant see the diffrence in what the subject poster described and what this storie describes i feel sad for you and the nature around you and for those who use it.

Some people poach to get food on the table, others to get money in the pocket, the first having an interrest in preserving nature the other to devestate it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE