Platypus Bottles - A Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have an idea rolling around in the bottom of this empty vessel I call a mind but I need some information.

Does the Platypus collapsible bottle have the same thread as a standard fizzy drinks bottle or have they designed it with one of their own?

What I'm actually wondering is whether they will fit these.

funnelcloseup1.jpg

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Just tried the cap from a standard 2ltr coke bottle and it fits fine. The platipus cap fits the coke bottle too. Seems pressure tight as well. So your idea should work ok. As should the tube one for normal pop bottles.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland it actually states on the write up in that link that the funnels fit onto platypus water carriers!
And you can buy platypus containers in Millets and most other camping shops.
I have never seen the funnels though!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
They do a hoser for the platypus to convert to a Camelpak type thing. Not cheap but nice to throw the bag in your pack and not have to mess with bottles.
I was kind of hoping I could convert a 58 patt not sure how much use that would be though?
Dave

i think you will find yu cant get teh Funnels over here as Woodland organics are the importers for HH and they only bring in a very limited range 2 types of hammock the snake skins and the Hex fly
ther website is down currently so i cannot check http://www.woodlandorganics.com/

i emailed them about the Super shelter kits and again its direct from them

unfortunatly its a std $30 per order for PnP and fees etc to the EU not really good if you want some cheap funnels.]

you could try making one by glueing a pop bottle top to a funnel etc

ATB

Duncan

Hi List,

Funnel works well.

I created a DIY funnel some time ago in Guatemala. Loved the Platy because of the interchangability with soda bottle caps!

Later on I went without the funnel and just use eiter one or two caps glued/taped together.

Hope the pic's will clear things up, the links should work, still figuring out how to show the pic's direct...)

I have attached my platy's to my tarps that way and it works well enough without a funnel for me. Cheaper, less volume and weight too ;-)

GuestViewImage.asp

GuestViewImage.asp

GuestViewImage.asp

Just my two cents...

Grtz Johan

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Why not just get some cheap funnels from pound shop or wherever, cut the length of the spout a bit, drill some holes around the rim to hang it, then epoxy to a soft drinks bottle lid? :D

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
now that other peeps are using them, how the heck to you dry them out without smelling like a well used pair of socks!!?:eek:

The platypus's ?? - always struggled with this myself... though with no sense of smell i can't tell you what they smell like :dunno:

I used to wash them thouroughly, then blow into them to inflate them, then hang them upside down in a warm place, but the last time i did that i got some mildew growing inside.

I've since rinsed them in a weak solution of bleach, and am currently trying a new method....

When i come back from a trip i wash them as usual, then let them drain overnight. The next day i squeeze most of the air out, put the lid on... and store them in the freezer. My thinking is that it will be too cold for any bugs to survive, or it least it will stop them growing. Next time i need them, take them out, give them a quick rinse, and then use as normal.

I'm keen to hear any alternative suggestions.

Cheers
Steve

had a brief flash of an idea today so had a try

2 pop bottle tops back to back then use a cut of pop bottle as the funnel

screwq throu the middle of the tops into a small slug of plastic for strength

or you could lace the string/wire rounf them both (just thought of that one) :sulkoff:

drill throu some holes and seal roung with glue

btop2.jpg

btop1.jpg

thes wher just small pop bottles but the lids are the same

Almost exactly what I did, although I was/am still unable to show the pic's ;-)

But as said before... try 1 soda cap, clear out the top a bit (large hole), string a piece of cord through it (top of the sides), clip it to the/an end of a tarp and voila..

Due to the initial collected water, it will drop down (weight), from there you don't really need the funnel anymore......

That way you just carry 1 extra bottle cap (saving weight, space and money ...)

Grtz Johan

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I've got a big zip platy, dries pretty quick and without the smell.

I generally use milton tablets in it though to make sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE