plastic bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was wondering is anyone has done anything cool with plastic bags? Here in Wales they're introducing a 5p charge on all plastic bags which is why I'm thinking about them at the moment. I've made strin/rope with them before and obviously I've carried things in them and used them as a temporary shower.

Anyone else use them for anything other than carrying your shopping or got any ideas on what to do with them that's useful?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know the bush loom thing ?
Well it weaves plastic bags too, turns them into really good boot mats :) Thick and squishy enough to let the soles dry out and the mud fall off on something easily shaken out.
It's a good one for kids to make :) Easily done on a peg loom too.

cheers,
Toddy

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
I've found that a lot of plastic bags start to break down after a year or so these days - I've stumbled across a few that I'd tucked away in various cupboards and when I go to remove them they just tend to crumble apart, so I'd not use them for anything long term!

Mack_ire

Try instructables.com, great site to browse.
Over here in the wet emerald isle the government taxes bags at 44c (est 40p), but it's great to see less bags blowing around the countryside or caught in ditches.
Most people have "bags for life" - heavy duty plastic bags which last for three to six months or folding plastic boxes for shopping, you will very quickly adapt to this when shopping and will store some in boot of car, (paper bags don't like our wet climate).
The loom was on this about a week ago.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/...m6t&cof=FORID:11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=plastic+bags

http://dirttime.com/?p=854 for the loom - not the same as the one posted here can't find that one.

Regards,
Mack

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You could do some makeshift fishing feathers from them.
Melt a blob and let it set around the hook and trim it. It should be able to withstand a couple of hits.

Thinking about it, I have used a small piece of clear bag to replicate a shrimp casing when tying some trout flies.

Last edited:

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Why do you use plastic bags in the first place? Use your backpack to carry shopping, no need to use plastic bags.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
roll two up and then weavem them like rope do and make enough rope for about eight foot then you can make a sirvival braclet and or you could tear them in to strips and then make 20 foot of thread and the use them when leather working instead of waxed thread and yes i have seen this dunn it was on a program about africas homless and there ability to recycle and how most of the people who live in the perticular slum they visited worked on a dum finding materials to recycle and make things out of then sell

one of the best things i ever saw was a plastic bag and 2 litre coke bottle pair of sandles

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why do you use plastic bags in the first place? Use your backpack to carry shopping, no need to use plastic bags.

Most of the time I use re-usable heavy cloth bags (50 cents each on base or $1 off base) Only problem with the backpack idea is I cain't afford 6-8 backpacks to hold my shopping ($50 or more each)

For recycling the plastic bags the obvious comes to mind as has been mentioned; re-use to carry things. Also they are the perfect size for bathroom garbage bin liners.

Any excess gets put into the recycle bin for professional recycling.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Going a bit off topic I was suprised in Wales to find the cooperative had launched a plastic bag which can be used in a composting caddy. I came I saw I blogged http://www.waark.com/2011/09/913/

They've just started to seep down to south Essex now, but cost 6p. I don't mind having them because they fit perfectly in a caddy.

Downside? only a couple: they feel a little weaker and have no holes in the bottom for obvious reasons, but I thought this was to stop suffocating children?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Going a bit off topic I was suprised in Wales to find the cooperative had launched a plastic bag which can be used in a composting caddy. I came I saw I blogged http://www.waark.com/2011/09/913/

They've just started to seep down to south Essex now, but cost 6p. I don't mind having them because they fit perfectly in a caddy.

Downside? only a couple: they feel a little weaker and have no holes in the bottom for obvious reasons, but I thought this was to stop suffocating children?

Your plastic bags have holes in the bottom?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :) or just up the sides a little.
Stops children playing with them from suffocating.....well, so we're told :)
Even the bags things like shirts come in have the wee holes in them.

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They make good stakes in the snow, fill 'em with snow and tie to the handles.

I use them at work every day to keep my paint brushes wet and clean and as lids for the paint pots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE