Places to Camp in the North

Apr 5, 2009
UK
hi all, im new around these parts so hi!

I have been into Bushcraft and all the associated goodness for a short while now, except I really don't have much experience when it come to getting out there and 'doing it for real'. Anyway the only thing that is really stopping me is the location, just don't know where is available to do these thing.

What i am looking for is somewhere I can hike to (3 to 20 miles) that I can build a small lean-to shelter and have a decent open fire, with annoying any farmers, game keepersm aristerrcrats, the police ect... preferably a wooded area.

Could any one point me in the right direction to such a place, preferable in Yorkshire or Scotland.

It is much appreciated
Thank You

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There is a campsite at Grizedale Forest in the Lakes that allows fires etc. Not sure on the Natural shelters though. I think you will have trouble getting permission for that kind of thing. That is why most of us use tarps instead. No damage, transportable lightweight etc.

Welcome to the forum BTW. Enjoy it.

Mark

Where are you located?

Apr 5, 2009
UK
Thanks for the quick response

yeah, that is what I was actually interested in, buildings things like shelters out of wood ect, I would of course take it down once finished. I would like to be as far removed from campsite style camping as possible (if not completely) as I have been doing that for years and have grown bored with it, especially as many sites are like hotels with tents, the last one I went to had an arcade and swimming pool.

I don't mind travelling further afield, if there are such places.

BTW: I live in york area.

Thanks

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There's always this list of campsites that allow fires. The one in Halifax even let people gather wood from the wood it backs on to... ...very badly!

Rukins was quiet when I went and having a fire by the stream was lovely.

I'm afraid if you want to camp out in a forest you were born in the wrong social class. It's illegal unless you're rich.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

Cheers for that mate. Very helpful.

Apr 5, 2009
UK
There's always this list of campsites that allow fires. The one in Halifax even let people gather wood from the wood it backs on to... ...very badly!

Rukins was quiet when I went and having a fire by the stream was lovely.

I'm afraid if you want to camp out in a forest you were born in the wrong social class. It's illegal unless you're rich.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=4

Wow that sucks, I guess the government or whoever think people are content with hotels for relaxation, I would much rather but in the out-of-doors, than in any 5 star hotel.

Has anyone ever ask the aristerrcrats and land owners if you can stay on there land, I would mind paying for the privilege. I might just do that.

before this through I was under the impression that in Scotland with the right to roam also applied to camping as long as it didn't turn into a dwelling.

Apr 5, 2009
UK
Scotland is the land of opportunity in this lark.

Even there though shelter building is frowned upon unless done very responsibly and taken down with equal care.

So it is possible, any recommendations as to where?

As I said I would even think about making something that I would disable on leaving, nothing ruins a walking more than seeing beer cans or nappies chucked into a bush or field.

Thanks Very Much. :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've been thinking more and more about going up to scotland for a trip this summer, and have been looking at the four long distance footpaths. I'd be interested in hearing recommendations, as well.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Aviemore to Braemar via the Lairig Ghru is a classic walk, but the last Yorkshireman I met at Derry Lodge having come through the Lairig Ghru said he wasn't going back that way because it was too tough!

God knows how he got back to Aviemore from Braemar by public transport. I think it's Braemar->Ballater->Aberdeen->Inverness->Aviemore, by a mixture of bus and train. It was a couple of years ago and for all I know he may still be travelling!

You can also go from Aviemore through Glen Feshie and follow the Geldie Burn to White Bridge and North through the Lairig Ghru.

Have a look at the maps for the Cairngorms - there's lots of routes through the glens and you can also take in some tops. The water's all good from the burns, but don't trust it if it's near any of the bothies.

If you do decide on the Cairngorms, I can give you the O.S. coordinates for some good camping spots.

Jim

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Blair Athol to Aviemore then back on the train

edit: just found this:

http://www.scotlandbackpacking.com/blair_atholl.html

a circular trip

I'd considered that one myself, but I understand that Glen Tilt is a bit dour with mainly landrover tracks.

I've passed the Shelter Stone several times and had a look inside, but it's well used by people that don't take their litter home, and as a consequence is a bit sordid. I prefer to get up to Loch Etchachan and camp there - it's a real beauty spot and handy for Mcdhui and Mheadhoin.

There's good camping at 3000+ft at the Wells of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau and one or two nice spots in Glen Geusachan (as long as the weather is dryish and water isn't streaming of the boiler plates!).

There's level ground and good water high up in Corrie Dhondail at the head of Glen Einich. You can then take the stalkers' path up onto the Braeriach Plateau and take the 4 Munro's - Braeriach, Angel's Peak, Cairn Toul and Devil's Point (don't bother dropping down for the Corrour Both, it's hideously sordid and the local water's contaminated!)

There's other good spots in the Cairngorms I've camped in but not listed above. If you plan a route, let me know and if I've camped there I'll give you the info..

Don't expect to have an open fire in the Cairngorms - there's little wood and it's 'bad form' because you may start a peat fire which can burn for days and cause enormous damage.

Writing about it's making me itch to get up there again this year (which I plan to do)!

Jim

Apr 5, 2009
UK
wow, there are some good ideas here, although I reckon the figure of eight walk starting at Athol might be a little to intense for my first trip, although I reckon I might give it a go next year.

However I spent much of today pouring over some OS maps, I reckon I might start at Arrochar and Tarbet and stay in Kenmore Wood for the night, then go and give Ben Vane a try.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Cheers for that mate. Very helpful.

No problem. :)

As I said, Rukins in yorkshire is the nicest one I've been to. The field we camped in was in a narrow valley with a stream in the bottom and trees alongside it. They had spots along the river bank where people had made fires and we re-used them. The owners weren't particularly friendly, but were no hassle either, and sell firewood. It would be great in the middle of summer because you'd have shade first thing.

The one near Halifax was weird people go into the woods behind the site and chop dead and live wood. Trees all around had been maimed by people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE