Pitch Mix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Just finished reading Patrick M's tutorial on making a pitch stick. I need my ignorance assuaged.....Why is it necessary to put charcoal into the pine rosin in order to make the pitch? Wouldn't the rosin and a bit of beeswax suffice to give sufficient adhesion and flexibility? Waiting to hear..........Keep Your Powder Dry.....Bruce :confused:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It'll be fine with the bee's wax buddy....the charcoal is used only because the resin can be a little brittle on it's own when it dries. so as long as you use either with it you shouldn't have a problem... I'd say charcoal was used as there was plenty of it about and so it was free :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
My problem is collecting the resin.How do you get it from the tree to the coltsfoot. :confused: :confused:

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Best to allow the resin to harden into lumps which can then be easily collected. One can then melt it down. If you want to get it when wet, scrape it off the tree with a stick.....bit messy. Bruce

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
thanks, thats all my questions answered. By the way ash works just as well as charcoal and it is a lot easier to get. :) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE