How to make a Glue Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Glue Stick Tutorial

There are a few ways of producing a glue stick, this is but one. There are also other ingredients you can use to make the pitch. Experiment yourselves it's good fun.

Cut a piece of elder and remove bark and pith, this will leave you with a hollow tube. Cut two small hazel plugs to fit.

clip_image1.jpg

Grind down some charcoal with a rounded stone.

clip_image2.jpg

Ideally the charcoal should be reduced to a fine powder.

clip_image03.jpg

Gather up some pine resin using coltsfoot instead of your pockets!

clip_image4.jpg

Place flat rock on the fire stones, once warmed add the resin. (Be careful in your selection of rock as they might explode) My favourite rock had a bowl shape hammered out of it but it grew legs on a course last year and went walkabout.

clip_image5.jpg

Once the resin starts to melt down scrape it into a heap and add a little beeswax. Any impurities should be scraped to one side.

clip_image6.jpg

Now add some charcoal powder and mix.

clip_image7.jpg

Gather and push into elder tube.

clip_image8.jpg

Make enough pitch to fill chamber and cap it with the other plug. It's a great way of carrying the pitch in your kit bag.

clip_image9.jpg

When you need to use it simply heat over the fire and spread.

clip_image10.jpg

clip_image11.jpg

clip_image12.jpg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Nice very nice:cool:
I'm Going to a big pine forest on the west coast of France next week and was going to make a load of pitch sticks it now looks like i'll be taking some elder tubes with me too :D
I have to say your craft skills are amazing what are you going to show us next Patrick

James

~Dan~

Sep 19, 2005
:) very nicly done patrick i am going to have to try it out once i get my hands on some more pine resin

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Patrick: You are a terrific craftsman. Your work is superb. Had a question though. Why is it necessary to add charcoal to the pine rosin? Wouldn't it work without it? Please provide more tutorials and pics as I can't get enough of them.....Bruce

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Pine resin is a brittle almost glassy substance, the charcoal changes the properties of the resin (I don't understand the chemistry) so it's no longer brittle.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I don't really want to sound like an idiot but how do you get the pith out of the elder?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Ralph said:
I don't really want to sound like an idiot but how do you get the pith out of the elder?

Tell him just because he's elder it doesn't mean he's wiser :lmao:

Oh! sorry. You said get the pith out, not take the pith....

Use a long pointy thing like a wire coathanger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE