PIt Roasting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
RM does just that on one of his country tracks shows. Lines a pit with hot rocks, puts in the rabbit wrapped in burdock leaves, some more hot rocks, then a woven rush (i think) mat over the top and piles the soil back on.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
How time-critical is this method? (general question relating to any size meat)

If you open up the oven and the meats not cooked, can you just bury it again or do you have to make another fire??

From The link supplied by Mungo it would seem you can't overcook the meat and it can be left for 6-8 hours..

Anyone got any experience of this?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
When I was on exercise lionheart in Germany in 1985 (i think :rolleyes: ) we caught a wildboar and pit roasted/hanghi it. I've cooked fish and chicken this way since a few times but by far the biggest animal was the boar. We left it for a good 12 hours or so and it was a bit patchy so we jointed it (should have done that in the first place but what did we know benifit of hindsight and later knowledge an all that,) and took off the cooked meat re-heated the rocks and re-buried the joints for another 8 or so hours which did the trick. That's how we did it as far as I recall and although it sounds like a long time an adult wildboar is a large animal. So yes of course if it isn't cooked thoroughly enough, get it buried again. You'll just have to wait a little longer for supper, although a fish (2 hours depending on size) and a rabbit roughly the same I'd say.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
No a rabbit would take a bit longer than fish as meat takes longer to cook. For something small like a rabbit you would have to wrap it up in burdock leaves first because otherwise the meat would shrink if you used bare rocks and no coverage. For something such as deer or wild boar preparation is a must otherwise you may end up cooking it for hours and finding it is no where near done :D .

Deer is best cooked in parts such as pit oven cooking the legs and then smoking the rest of the meat into jerky. If anyone watched ray mears wild food (repeated tonight at 7 tonight) then he does exactly this. And he gives some great tips on how to construct the oven.

Hope this helps.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
falling rain said:
although a fish (2 hours depending on size) and a rabbit roughly the same I'd say.

Yes pound for pound meat takes longer to cook, but an 8 - 10lb pollock or salmon for example would take roughly around the same time as a rabbit I'd say.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We did it this weekend funnily enough :) "www.survivalschool.co.uk" review pending :D

We had 2 rabbits in a pit aproximately 2 feet deep by about 3 feet wide. You can use a variety of leaves to wrap the skinned and gutted rabbit in but spagnum moss is also good. The moss/leaves etc are to stop it drying out but also to stop the hot rocks burning the meat on contact. The bottom was layered with a liberal amount of red hot stones straight from the fire, then the rabbit wrapped in what ever, then more stones, then the soil back on :) Cook for Aprox 2 hours at least to be on the safe side.

Oh and some kind of marker to stop you digging up the whole forest :)

The instructor also mentioned leave a vertical stick in the pit then pulling it out and adding water to act like a steamer but not tried so cant give any more info. Also some stuffing in the cavity might make it a little tastier maybe some fruit etc as i find bunnies a little bland....

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bushcraft4life said:
No a rabbit would take a bit longer than fish as meat takes longer to cook. For something small like a rabbit you would have to wrap it up in burdock leaves first because otherwise the meat would shrink if you used bare rocks and no coverage. For something such as deer or wild boar preparation is a must otherwise you may end up cooking it for hours and finding it is no where near done :D .

Deer is best cooked in parts such as pit oven cooking the legs and then smoking the rest of the meat into jerky. If anyone watched ray mears wild food (repeated tonight at 7 tonight) then he does exactly this. And he gives some great tips on how to construct the oven.

Hope this helps.

Are you talking from experience here matey? As I've had no experience of rabit shrinking any less when wrapped than when just put in. As far as I know all meat shrinks when cooked, that's why restaurants give steak weights before cooking on the menu :confused: . The difference to my mind and from my experience is that if you wrap the meat then you do not have to bother weaving the top layer to keep the sand/soil out of your food but if you don't wrap than you either make a woven grass/reed etc matt or eat gritty food.

There's also going to be far more meat on a rabbit sized salmon than on the rabbit so although fish may cook faster they may have about the same cooking time.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
bambodoggy said:
Are you talking from experience here matey? As I've had no experience of rabit shrinking any less when wrapped than when just put in. As far as I know all meat shrinks when cooked, that's why restaurants give steak weights before cooking on the menu :confused: . The difference to my mind and from my experience is that if you wrap the meat then you do not have to bother weaving the top layer to keep the sand/soil out of your food but if you don't wrap than you either make a woven grass/reed etc matt or eat gritty food.

There's also going to be far more meat on a rabbit sized salmon than on the rabbit so although fish may cook faster they may have about the same cooking time.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Yep i am dude :D. I have found in my experience for the short amount of time i have had it :) , that the hot rock touching directly the meat can cause a bit of shrinking. As for the bit about meat taking longer to cook than fish. Give me a break guys i said ''a bit'' :rolleyes: .

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bushcraft4life said:
Yep i am dude :D. I have found in my experience for the short amount of time i have had it :) , that the hot rock touching directly the meat can cause a bit of shrinking. As for the bit about meat taking longer to cook than fish. Give me a break guys i said ''a bit'' :rolleyes: .

Fair enough mate but I wouldn't worry too much about the meat shrinking ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE