Pine Tar Soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I just ordered another few bars and some of the shower gel. For £7.50 a pop the shower gel had better last longer than the soap bar!

Thanks for the mini-review red.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Had a lovely bath last night and used the pine tar soap for the first time. It lathers up well for shaving and it works well as a shampoo. I found it didn't lather much when washing with it though, but when I used the wife's scrunchy, it was better.

I also noticed that my skin didn't feel as dry and stripped of it's oils that I usually get from ordinary soap. There was no scum floating on the bath water either but it was dirty (I'd been in the workshop all day). On the whole I did feel clean and refreshed and it cleaned my hair nicely too.

The bar didn't soften in the water either. Hard as iron (well nearly). I'll see how long it lasts in the next few weeks but I'm provisionally very pleased with it. Ten bars should last me a while.

I'm going to experiment with hand washing socks and skiddies with it and see if it also works well as a laundry bar.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bumping this one as I bought a brace of soap (!) from RM.com just the other day. I shower, don't do baths as I get to hot in them, and have to say the bar is holding up really well. I drain it after each use and it seems to be lasting ok. A quick skim through my hair leaves enough to work up into an amazing lather, and afterwards I feel really clean. It seems to be getting rid of all the grime from work so I am really pleased with it, and afterwards I stink just like I've left a nice fire in the woods, so a bonus there! The missus hates it, but I'm not bothered about that!

I'm thinking that one of those string bags used in the washing machine to pop the soap in would work for draining it after use, and that it could also work as a scrubber too! Hanging it up to dry would certainly help the bar last a little longer.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Want to try some of my home made for comparison mate?

I'll be doing some larger batches in a month or two as the nights close in but I have smae small bars left from the last batch if you want a comparison?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Certainly, any excuse to stink like a fire! I quite like the smell though, funny how blokes do but women tend not to. Is yours smellier than Grandpas' or less smelly? Either would help, less to please 'er indoors and more would be great for that man smell that all blokes should wear!

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Don't mean to be insolent, but I'd love to get my hands on some of your home-made stuff it there's any chance please...

this site is good for getting selections, http://www.carbolicsoap.com grandpas is 2.25 each and postage is cheep. no connection but used regularly and had good service. the extra large bars are good value and you cut the size you want.

i did notice that the carbolic soaps dont have carbolic in them any more, my nan still has a case from the 60's so no doubt would be classed as a chemical hazard now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly, any excuse to stink like a fire! I quite like the smell though, funny how blokes do but women tend not to. Is yours smellier than Grandpas' or less smelly? Either would help, less to please 'er indoors and more would be great for that man smell that all blokes should wear!
Send us your addy mate and I'll post some over

I'll do you a bar next batch Jambo - maybe wait for Spams review first though :)

I don't use shop bought soap as it has palm oil in it and I can't bring myself to watch rainforests get cut down so no basis for comparsion I'm afraid - you'll have to tell me :)

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
PM to follow. Cheers Red, very generous of you and I look forward to a good scrubbing! :D I'll happily post my findings, I think this will be my first home made soap I'll ever use so I'm quite excited. Sad innit!

:D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've used Wrights coal tar soap for years,does that have palm oil in it?

Tried Granpas pine tar but found it didn't last long at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE