Pine Tar Soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
All I can really find over here is Grandpa's pine tar soap, which seems like good stuff anyway, but I'm curious if anyone else makes/sells the stuff over here in the U.K.?

What's everyone on here's opinion of the stuff, a fair few people seem to use it.

Where does everyone on here get theirs from? I've ordered some from Outdoorcode, but it's ten days and counting and it's not here yet. At £1 postage can't really complain I suppose...

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I bought some handmade from a US based guy on the 'Bay. All gone now and can I for the life of me remeber him?!

All I can say is, it was awesome stuff - I tried Grandpa's but it's nothing like.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I like the Grand Pa version and use it whenever can.

I'm the original Mr Sensitive Skin and it is very good ( for me ) in that respect. Makes a fair shaving soap too.

Spoke with the manufacturer and they advised Ray M was the chief UK purchaser from them.

Do find it wears down quite fast. Didnt think I was that frequently clean.... then again I've a lot of 'area' to cover!:eek:

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Try Wilkinsons, or Wilko's as we call it, they seem to carry old pine tar soap, for those who hate the smell, they also stock some shocking old fashioned lemon citrus soap, the mossies dont like that either, worth a try!

Adam.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
It wasn't this mob was it?

Have you tried this stuff Red?

I use Grandpa's Old Pine Tar soap and for 10 bars of the stuff it adds up, although its one of the best soaps out there. I used it exclusively during my trip to the Ardeche this year and didn't get bitten once, whilst others got nicely eaten alive:yelrotflm . Surprised me as it's usually the other way around.:bluThinki

P

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Phil,

Got a delivery of the handmade pine tar soap from the US today - you up for a direct comparison with he Grandpas stuff? I'll send you a bar to test if you like? PM me.

Stuart

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I got the bars of Grandpa's a few days back, granted I'm not the smallest bloke but I've only used the stuff six times in the shower and it's almost half gone!

Is this normal? I really like the stuff but it's going to cost me a sodding fortune and be a royal pain having to order the stuff all the time if I keep on going through it at this rate!!!

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Cheers mate.

I'm kind of tempted to get some of the stuff off ebay now to compare it. I love the Grandpa's stuff, but it's wearing down at a amazing rate.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
My 10 bars arrived this morning from the ebay seller. Looks good, smells nice and I'll be giving it a workout later tonight.

Good value for the money and a seven day turnaround from the States, can't be bad.

Eric

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Well I never thought I'd be putting my opinion of toiletries on a bushcraft forum but here goes anyway... :rolleyes:

My impressions of the ebay stuff:

Doesn't foam a huge amount unless you really work it up into a lather (but perhaps that's my West Yorkshire water??) - which could be an advantage if you are washing with limited water and don't want to have to wash off a load of suds. That's just my preference though.

It's not quite as pine tarry as I expected - but probably adequately so. Feels quite 'fatty' and doesn't leave your skin dry.

It is *useable* as a shave lather, but perhaps a bit drying.

Does a passable job on my beard.

I like it for the price - but perhaps wish it had a bit more stink.

The wife likes it.

I'll see how it compares to the more expensive Grandpa's version.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE