Pine Tar Soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't forget that the "overly exploitative" Mears dot com is only free shipping on orders of ten pounds and under. One penny over and the cost starts to rise at a disproportionate rate! :rolleyes:

PS. The sloe gin as given me typers crap, like typers cramp but different! My spelling is atrocious, I'm hitting the wrong keys, basically I'm a mess! Plus, three hours of playing guitar along with Maiden (Both six string and bass, and I never knew I could play bass!) after a long spell away from stringed instruments means I have raw nubs for fingers! I'll be on form tomorrow!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - give me a few weeks though - I have a new petzl E+lite head torch to review and a big box of freeze dried food to use and evaluate too - once they are done its winter soap making - will be done before end of November for sure - in time for being a skinflint with presents!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent - good news :)

Don't think I'll make the olive oil again though - don't like the texture of the lather - seems a bit greasy feeling to me?

Red

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Try Wilkinsons, or Wilko's as we call it, they seem to carry old pine tar soap, for those who hate the smell, they also stock some shocking old fashioned lemon citrus soap, the mossies dont like that either, worth a try!

Adam.

Cheltenham Wilkinson's have never heard of it! They have got the Wright's Coal Tar soap with "Coal Tar Aroma" but you can get that anywhere.

Better try Ray's place.

Gareth

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've used Reds' Pine Tar soap a few days on the trot now and have made a few decisions on it. Firstly, the bar was solid and didn't have the slightly greasy coating that the Grandpas' stuff had out of the packet. So far, it has stood up to use in the shower well and hasn't worn down a lot, Grandpas' isn't as worn down as others have mentioned though, so they are definitely on a par with durability! Reds' smells nice (to blokes!), but it lacks the slightly smokey smell of Grandpas' which I do like. Grandpas' just nudges into the lead with that point, for the time being.

Cleanliness wise both Reds' and Grandpas' soaps do a grand job. Reds leaves my hair squeaky clean, as does Grandpas', but I cannot run my hand though my wet hair with Grandpas' but I can with Reds'. Not entirely sure what that means, I think Reds' may be having more of a conditioning effect on my hair. Both can be used for general hair washing as well as body scrubbing. Both seem to be very good at cleaning deep down too, not just getting rid of surface crud but the ingrained stuff.

Which is the most ecologically sound? I've spent some time thinking about this and don't know enough about the process to be able to make a decision. Grandpas' is made on a grand scale with palm oil and then shipped around the world to us. Red makes his at home with products that should hopefully have a minimum impact on de-forestation. I found that Reds' soap stings the eyes a bit more than Grandpas', a test I will not be trying on the other soaps as I found that out by sheer accident! I looked at the ingredients and caustic soda is one of them. I have no idea if this is harmful after the soap making process is complete and if it is neutralised once getting into the sewage treatment plants. Energy used to produce the soap again is an unknown. Maybe I'm looking into this too much! :rolleyes: I'd say Reds' soap "carbon footprint" must be smaller when you take into account the shipping of Grandpas' from USA to Woodlore, then on to the end user, so Red wins there.

At the end of the day, I think that both are winners in their own rights, Reds' for the conditioning of the hair (it feels like I've just stepped out of a salon! :D) but Grandpas' for the smokey smell. Both clean you up proper good and make you smell like a proper woodsman! :D

Finally, price: 2 quid from Woodlore for Grandpas', Reds' came from his place in the south to mine in four hours (!) via Royal Mail and he didn't charge me a bean. I've no idea if Red will be selling it for a small profit, to make up the price of his supplies or just do it for the karma, but it is definitely worth trying to get a hold of a few blocks if you can.

Many thanks to Red for the soaps, I've still got the other two to try out, I have no doubt they will clean me up good and proper, gonna have to get gunked up and try them out.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the review Spam :)

Worry not about the caustic soda. All soap is made by a chemical reaction (saponification) between a stong alkali (Lye / caustic soda) and a fat base. The alkali is removed in the process.

As for palm oil, there is no palm oil in any of my soaps or indeed any other ingredients from non sustainable sources - its one of the reasons I make my own since I have a passionate dislike of the destruction some of these apparently innocuous ingredients cause. I did use a tiny amount of benzoin in that batch which will probably account for the eye sting - its a natural resin so no harm done.

I don't sell soap for legal reasons at the moment (I need to have each recipe chemically tested first and its not worth it right now) so its just for fun and for mates.

Glad you enjoyed it - let me know what you think of the other recipes when you try em

Red

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
By the way, the free delivery on Mr Mears website, does this mean I'll be waiting untill summer for the arrival of my pine tar soap?

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Wow, well I recieved me delivery of Pine Tar Soap today. I only ordered it Tuesday and its here two days later on a free delivery! I am impressed.

On first impressions it doesnt smell of pine as much as it smells of smokey tar, but when you wash with it, it lathers up nice and theres a great clean fresh pine smell. I wouldnt recommend it for nights out on the town, but a great bar of soap to sling in the washbag for camping or another outdoor activities.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Based on the feedback on the last batch of pine tar there's a new recipe on the go in the kitchen right now :)

I'm using the base I used for the very popular "bushcrafters body bar" but pure stockholm tar rather than the insect repelling essential oils.

Be interesting to see how this one turns out :)

No tutorial yet since its an unproven recipe - but Imayneed to presume one of the "testers" again

Red

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I've been using the American stuff off ebay for a while now, it lasts longer than the Grandpa's but doesn't seem to lather quite as well, though I wouldn't say there's much in it. It definitely lasts longer.

The only major downside is it's not as cheap as it was with the exchange rate being what it is now. :(

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I like what is known as "grey" soap over here. It is the most basic soap you can buy and is really only for poor people :) It gets a good lather for shaving, is biodegradable, washes me and clothes and is pretty hard. This means it lasts about 4x longer than fancy moisturising soaps and seems to work just as well.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got the bug after making the new recipe pine tat - did a batch of "Bushcrafters"with ground seaweed instead of the noraml dried herbs - gave a nice colour as well as a hint of seashore. In fact that inspired me to do a "seashore" soap next time - seaweed, sea salt and an appropriate oil. Also did a "woodsman" batch - pine needle, cedarwood and a touch of lavender.

Just need to wait a month for them to cure now and we'll see what we have!

Red

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
You need to go into production and satisfy my soap needs Red!

I like what is known as "grey" soap over here. It is the most basic soap you can buy and is really only for poor people :) It gets a good lather for shaving, is biodegradable, washes me and clothes and is pretty hard. This means it lasts about 4x longer than fancy moisturising soaps and seems to work just as well.

I work with a couple of Polish guys, I'll have to ask them about it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE