Pine tar -- how to carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
With an aim to making some pine-tar soap I bought a tin of the stuff the other day. I've been applying it to the odd cuts and nicks I get and it works great so I'm wanting to be able to carry a small amount with me to apply as-and-when. Any ideas people? A small tin like the Vaseline ones would be more than big enough but then I'd get a lot of mess on my finger when applying it. Perhaps a small syringe?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about one of those tiny wee glass jars that the girls get the lip balm in ?

I wouldn't have thought it would get that messy once it's gone hard though.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
I got a load of UNUSED medical specimin bottles on a group buy on another forum. One of those be any good??
You are more than welcome to one if it'll help...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

its gunky stuff, no doubt about it. Toddy kindly sent me some once and I know she had a devil of a job getting it into a smaller container.

My suggestion would be to put it in a urine sample tube (ask any pharmacist) and then use thouse wooden lolly stick stirers from Starbucks to apply it. the stick and tar can safely be burned or buried - both are just tree material.

Its messy stuff though - good for the 'osses 'ooves mind you :)

Go swift with the mould when you make the soap - it traces at bloody light speed.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - amazingly useful bits of kit.

For anyone else wanting pine tar, you won't find it. Stockholm tar is however the same stuff and very cheap from most equine shops :)

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found that if I made up a standard lipsyl base, but went a teeny bit heavy on the beeswax then I could add the tar to that and it would mould fine.
Effectively, I just made a pine tar lipsyl that I could use to apply to cuts and grazes.

*Don't* do this in any pot you want to use for cosmeticy things again, I found the scent almost impossible to remove.
If you melt beeswax and heat coconut oil and get them happily together in a disposable container that you can safely hold and pour from (poundstore, 2 for £1 microwave pots with pouring lips :), have the tar in it's bottle in a hot water bath so it's up to the same temperature. Then add tar to the wax/oil mix.
I found coconut oil better than my preferred almond or jojoba for this mix since it melts easier at skin temperature.

cheers,
Toddy

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Red,why will one not be able to find pine tar? Matt.S talks about buying a tin!?
Any idea what else ( if anything!) is added to Stockholm tar?
Thanks.
Chris.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stockholm tar is nothing but pine.
We buy it in gallon containers for the boatyard.
It's wonderful stuff, it kills bugs, fungi, bacteria, protects wood and ropes, and I have lost count of the number of clothes I have lost to it's use in the yard :rolleyes:
It's like syrup to handle, and like syrup it gets everywhere if you're not careful :)

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red,why will one not be able to find pine tar? Matt.S talks about buying a tin!?
Any idea what else ( if anything!) is added to Stockholm tar?
Thanks.
Chris.

Sorry CHris, I meant "I've never found it sold under the name of pine tar". I think thats generally only used to refer to the soap. Stockholm is what you want

Red

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thanks Red and Toddy!
Still on the lookout for a British pine tar soap maker since Red pointed out that my beloved 'Granpas wonder soap' used non-sustainable palm oil!!
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
You are,of course,right Red. I guess I have been putting off the inevitable!
( However,for a 'bushcrafty type' I can be quite kak handed!!)
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE