pike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yes, they can be quite tasty too although the flavour is quite delicate and easy to ruin. Anything above 6lbs live weight will be more fish than even quite a large family would be able to eat in a sitting.

Needs careful preparation as they have an unusual skeletal structure which includes a free floating 'rib' which sits between every flake of flesh - called a pin bone. They're a nightmare to remove!

The belly flesh tends to be very thin and not worth bothering with but the back is two long, thick strips of muscle which run the whole length of the fish. Stillwater pike tend to be quite slimey, newspaper is about the best thing I've come across for removing it, if you're handy with a filleting knife skinning the back fillets is best, easy too as the skin tends to be very thick for a fish.

The French have long abandoned pike as a filleting fish and cook them as a sort of fish cake come dumpling called a quenelle (quenelles de brochet being pike dumplings) made from the shredded and sieved fish after it's been poached.

There are ways to debone a pike other than pushing it all through a sieve but they tend to be quite wasteful of the fish - if you're not averse to picking the bones out as you go along they're a fine eating fish provided you don't over flavour them. If you're fishbonephobic, definitely look elsewhere!

Cheers,

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Yes, they can be quite tasty too although the flavour is quite delicate and easy to ruin. Anything above 6lbs live weight will be more fish than even quite a large family would be able to eat in a sitting.

Needs careful preparation as they have an unusual skeletal structure which includes a free floating 'rib' which sits between every flake of flesh - called a pin bone. They're a nightmare to remove!

The belly flesh tends to be very thin and not worth bothering with but the back is two long, thick strips of muscle which run the whole length of the fish. Stillwater pike tend to be quite slimey, newspaper is about the best thing I've come across for removing it, if you're handy with a filleting knife skinning the back fillets is best, easy too as the skin tends to be very thick for a fish.

The French have long abandoned pike as a filleting fish and cook them as a sort of fish cake come dumpling called a quenelle (quenelles de brochet being pike dumplings) made from the shredded and sieved fish after it's been poached.

There are ways to debone a pike other than pushing it all through a sieve but they tend to be quite wasteful of the fish - if you're not averse to picking the bones out as you go along they're a fine eating fish provided you don't over flavour them. If you're fishbonephobic, definitely look elsewhere!

Cheers,
Have a look here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS_cHdKS-_A

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
Pikes are relly good tasting if done correctly. Depending on the water they live in they can have a muddy flavour but it is not always so.

Gut, scale and wash a pike with a weight of 1,5-2 kg (less than 4,5lbs) - bigger ones are best made into quenelles! Put real butter inside and outside, sprinkle salt and lemon over and inside it. Put it in a ovenproof dish with onions and some more butter (onioins are optional and you could also put other veggies in there) and chuck it in the oven. Serve with potatoes and a good sauce (or just butter and salt) and your there!

Bon appetit!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
When youve killed and gutted the fish leave to soak in salted cold water for at least eight hours to get rid of the 'muddy' taste. Very delicate but pleasent eating. Enjoy.
Crowe

We used to soak them in milk overnight for the same reason.

If you catch them regularly, it may be worthwhile having a wee word with your local Chinese takeaway.

The Chinese (not all of them) find them a delicacy and may appreciate a gift of one. I did this at my local and the homesick hard working staff in the kitchen were over the moon.

1 biggish pike = 1 takeaway meal. Fair swap!! :):)

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
We used to eat quite a few river pike which are I think better than lake versions! Anyway, after preperation we would poach them then when cool pick over the meat removing yet more bones, add salt, pepper and parsley, roll in breadcrumbs then fry in butter: Pikecakes!!
Incidentally, type in Northern pike on youtube and there;s a few videos on how to bone out more successfully!!! Good luck!

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Google "Blackend Fish" Pike done this way is my Favorite here in Canada. Another way if your not too proficient with the Fillet knife taking out the "Y" bones, Is to poach the fillets, then flake and use for Fishcakes ( my other favorite way ).
I plan to try this after my ice fishing trip this week ( If I get lucky enough to get one big enough to keep! )
POOR MAN'S LOBSTER
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

□ 3 qts. water
□ 1 med. onion
□ Salt
□ 1/2 c. lemon juice
□ 3 stalks celery
□ 3 lbs. Northern pike, cut in 2 inch pieces
□ 1/2 lb. butter
□ Garlic salt
□ Paprika

Place water, onion, salt, lemon juice and celery into a 4 quart pan and bring to a boil. Add pike and reboil 3 minutes longer.
Drain and place fish on cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt and paprika and broil 2 minutes. Serve with melted butter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE