Pictures of new project under Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi everybody i thought i would give you a glimpse of my best knife ever under construction it gives you an idea of how i go about making my knifes thay are mostly done with a hand file in a home made jig this blade has taken around 4-5 hours of filing on both sides to achieve the 3/4 grind the pictores give an idea off the proses truly hand made the first picture shows the design of this knife that's what it will hopefully look like when finished

Me139.jpg

here is knife waiting to be cut and shaped out of 4mm 01 carbon steel billet
Me140.jpg

billet blank has know been cut and shaped ready to file
Me141.jpg

here is the blade clamped in my home made jig
Me142.jpg

and here is the blade nearing its final stages of finish i have decided to give this blade a hammerdin the forge look i think it will look fantastic polished my next step is to drill the holes for the handles and decided what patterns to go for in configurations off the different woods and brass etc ill keep yous posted know I've got your attention :lmao:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Stanley
Looking good so far.

Are yo doing a fulltang of a sticktang as it may be harder to build as a fulltang with that pattern

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Stanley
Looking good so far.

Are yo doing a fulltang of a sticktang as it may be harder to build as a fulltang with that pattern

Hi alf im doing this knife as a full tang it would off been quiet easy to do a stick tang with that handle configeration.this is where it gets a bit Serra's i have figured out witch way to construct the handle to get the affect i whant i will also be using hidden pins to keep it all together:approve: ill post a thread to show you how Ive constructed the handle before fitting cheers :D

stanley

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Could I get some better pictures of your jig please? I really strugle to get a good bevel on a blade (so much so, that it has just taken me 3 evenings of around 2 hours a night to fix one).

New blade looks phenomenol.

Chris

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi Chris now what you mean been there got the medals:( think i better hurry up and place pattern rights for this jig:rolleyes: it works very well all the knives i have done have come out exceptionally well with a bit off practise some knifes Ive done in 1 hour the one listed here took around 4 hours because off the high profile on blade ill post some better pictures and measurements cheers

stanley

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Stanley, that green pete guy has a very similar jig - great minds think alike and all that.

Maybe I'll post my new one later, I had a slight problem in that I set out to put a bit of a "belly" in the blade, as I like Bernie's design, unfortunately (well, fortunately) and not intentionally - it looks worryingly like one of Bernie's!

Luckily, I've explained myself to him (and offered to change it) and he's kindly let me off :) I'd imagine, if you put mine and his together they really wouldn't look that similar but it was enough to worry me! I'll show you all soon, unfortunately I can't handle it for a bit after my little axe related accident.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE