Pictures of Maine Northwoods Scout Trip (PicHeavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
The following pictures have been taken over the past few years camping with the boy scouts in northern Maine wich is the northern most state In thge New England region of the US. Much of the state is unpopulated and owned by paper companies for the harvest of puplwood. The paper companies allow a variety of use and even lease some of the land for recreational use. Our scoutmaster is lease holder of a small cabin and a little land on a large remote lake. We spend a week camping, canoeing and hiking with the scouts every year. WE are about a 20 minute ride from Baxter State park which is either the start or the end of the Appalachian Trail depending on how you look at it.

This is my campsite aside of the lake.
mycampsite.jpg

Here is a young bull moose we saw on one of our excursions out of camp. This section of road is famous as an area to watch moose.
youngbullmoosecrop.jpg

A young bear about the size of a St Bernard dog on the same section of road.
croppedbear.jpg

A section of the Penobscot River they do a lot of white water rafting on this river. In the distance you can see Mt Katadihn.
bigeddy.jpg

This past year we canoed about 1 1/2 miles to a small island to watch the sunset here we are heading out.
paddle.jpg

Here is the view of the sunset from the island which is really not much it has two stunted trees growing on it and a pile of rocks but it is the sandiest beach on the lake.
sunset.jpg

This is a shot of us heading back to camp. I wish I could take credit for the shot but it was taken by a friend.
canoe.jpg

Here is a picture of a scout that I taught how to do friction fire using the bowdrill method, all materials were gathered locally. The hearth and spindle were both aspen with shredded inner bark as the tinder bundle.
fire.jpg

One of our other activities was baking biscuits in a reflector oven that I built. My mouth is watering just looking at them 15 scouts went through 40 biscuits and still wanted more.
biscuits.jpg

As this is a popular trip and flat rock free space is at a premium I tried something new. A byer Mosquito Travellor hammock and tarp form Campmor. I was very pleased.
tentbrian.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Well now... if and when I sell up here, I think I've found a new home.. :) looks really great there. I am envious of you.. :D

Cheers, Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE