Pictures from my winter woodland over nighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
didn't take a lot of pictures but here is a few of my camp.

A lot of people i know set up the fire first but i always like to get my tarp up first and get my kit under it just in case it rains and it did,i got the tarp up ground sheet down and unrolled my bed roll,i put the self inflating mat inside my bivvy bag and that was home for the night.

The next job was to get my fire going,i took enough chopped wood to last a couple of hours.
to get the fire going i laid down some small split pieces of birch and used birch bark as my tinder,one strike with my steel and i was away,i then located some more fire wood and stashed it in a dry place near my camp.

I got a brew on and settled in as the weather was getting stormy,i had 3 coffees and got some food on the go,Yumm.

I was so warm with the tarp set up to favour the fire and i found a nice flat piece of wood to used as a heat reflector,id also blocked both ends of my tarp with pine and laid pine on the floor of my shelter.
I was that warm i slept on top of my bed roll all night.

My backpack and shoulder bag ready to go.
003-11.jpg

007-5.jpg

The sharps i took.
012.jpg

005-10.jpg

Shelter set up.
002-1.jpg

Bed roll sorted.
004-3.jpg

Fire on the go and the front of my tarp propped up to favour the fire.
012-1.jpg

Getting a brew on.
009.jpg

Brew with a shot of whiskey
010.jpg

Cooking my dinner.
015.jpg

016-1.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Are another liker of the Swedish army canvas pack, ive got one myself and used it on my overnighter last weekend great bits of kit, great stuff! and nice photos,plus a supper id go for.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Are another liker of the Swedish army canvas pack, ive got one myself and used it on my overnighter last weekend great bits of kit, great stuff! and nice photos,plus a supper id go for.
Yep i ldo like that pack i must say,its waxed now and look real old school.
003-14.jpg

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Excellent photos there, Sticks.

You've got a great set up there, and all in a smallish pack too.

I love my swedish bag too, great bit of kit.

I'm intrigued by your bedroll, home made is it? I've always wanted a Duluth one but thought it too big to lug around on a bimble.

I attach a tent/sleeping bag under my "swede" like you have, good to know a bedroll will fit.

And I love that kettle.

Thanks for sharing,

Liam.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Liam(miyagi)you can easily fit a bedroll under the swedish pack, ive got a blanket,stitched up the bottom and sides to make a type of sleeping bag,and the canvas from somemore of those old german two man shelter havles that ive cut and shaped to make a canvas cover all rolled up tight fits easily under the pack.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi Sticks, looks like a great set up to me there

Can I ask, the smaller bag is a Swedish gas mask bag isnt it? At least thats how I have seen them on the bay and all, is it a good bit of kit? It sounds a bit small on the descriptions I have seen.

Also, have you taken the metal frame off of the pack, in one picture at least I cant see it when I thought I should. The reason I ask is I really would like to get one of these packs but the metal frame bothers me as i am a long backed 6'6"-er and metal frames invariably kidney punch me!

All the best
Dave

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Excellent photos there, Sticks.

You've got a great set up there, and all in a smallish pack too.

I love my swedish bag too, great bit of kit.

I'm intrigued by your bedroll, home made is it? I've always wanted a Duluth one but thought it too big to lug around on a bimble.

I attach a tent/sleeping bag under my "swede" like you have, good to know a bedroll will fit.

And I love that kettle.

Thanks for sharing,

Liam.

The bed roll consists of a modified bivvy bag,a home made ground sheet and a self inflating mat.

MOD bivvy bag with a zipper added from an old NBC suit,makes it easier to get into and the zipper has flaps on the inside and outside so keeps any drafts out.

Before.
001-11.jpg

after.
004-9.jpg

Ground sheet made from an old cheapo tarp with a foil blanket glued and stitched into place.
003-9.jpg

002-12.jpg

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion

Can I ask, the smaller bag is a Swedish gas mask bag isnt it? At least thats how I have seen them on the bay and all, is it a good bit of kit? It sounds a bit small on the descriptions I have seen.

Also, have you taken the metal frame off of the pack, in one picture at least I cant see it when I thought I should. The reason I ask is I really would like to get one of these packs but the metal frame bothers me as i am a long backed 6'6"-er and metal frames invariably kidney punch me!

All the best
Dave
Ive had the Swedish gas mask bag for years and really like it.Its good for those day hikes,its small but as you may have notice i tend to get a lot in my packs and bags:D

No the frame is still on my pack,im 5ft.11" and find the pack to be very comfortable,more so than some of the modern packs ive used,but if you have a long back id see if anyone you know has one you can try out but saying that there really cheap on ebay and if it doesn't suit you you can always sell it on.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Now that's brilliant!!

Heath Robinson eat your heart out - who said make do and mend had gone.

I've still got my old issue kip mat but tend not to use it.

I use either a cheapo Tesco sleeping bag as a kipmat/insulator, or one of my 80's moonbags.

My jacket is rolled up as a pillow. The other 80's moonbag (with the foil lining) I sleep in and strategically place my dog to cover draughts/warm cold spots.

That's two "pack down small" sleeping bags that cover a multitude of sins.

I have to admit to being very impressed with your set up.

Thanks for sharing Sticks. :D

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

All the best
Dave

Hi Dave,

Jojo on here passed his pack onto me, as like you he's a six footer and it's not comfy for him.

Liam

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Now that's brilliant!!

Heath Robinson eat your heart out - who said make do and mend had gone.

I've still got my old issue kip mat but tend not to use it.

I use either a cheapo Tesco sleeping bag as a kipmat/insulator, or one of my 80's moonbags.

My jacket is rolled up as a pillow. The other 80's moonbag (with the foil lining) I sleep in and strategically place my dog to cover draughts/warm cold spots.

That's two "pack down small" sleeping bags that cover a multitude of sins.

I have to admit to being very impressed with your set up.

Thanks for sharing Sticks. :D

Liam
I really enjoy making and customizing kit rather than go spend an arm and a leg on the latest Gucci kit:)

I think the most expensive piece of kit i have bought was my firebox and strictly speaking i didn't buy it my Wife did as a present for packing in smoking:D

Sounds like you've got it sorted,I had to laugh at you strategically place dog comment goodjob

Glad you like the set up:D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I really enjoy making and customizing kit rather than go spend an arm and a leg on the latest Gucci kit:)

Huge sense of satisfaction!! Gucci kit? Spoken like a squaddie.

I think the most expensive piece of kit i have bought was my firebox and strictly speaking i didn't buy it my Wife did as a present for packing in smoking:D

I'm thinking of stopping smoking, ask her if she'll buy me one too!!

Sounds like you've got it sorted,I had to laugh at you strategically place dog comment goodjob

Aye, he has his uses, anyway he owes me for rescuing him. In fact he owes me for chewing up the house, the carpet and every pair of socks I own.

Glad you like the set up:D

Very impressed by your set up Sticks.

I've seen folk (no names, no pack drill) lug expedition sized amounts of kit for a weekend bimble. It can take folk years to refine their load/kit as you have done.

Thanks for posting the threads that you have, dunno about anybody else but they've been a revelation, to me at least. :D

All the best,

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE