photography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate, i'm going shooting tommorow so i might get a few photos, im also going offroading tommorow afternoon so i will post a few pics on the landrover thread
the more i use my camera the better i get to know all the buttons, it may take me a while to know how to use every button though
have any of you got any advice of stalking animals execpet for staying downwind
leon

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Stalking animals?? - leave the camera at home!

seriously, stalking animals is a big skill in it's own right...and from my own experience, trying to learn to stalk at the same time as trying to learn how to take the picture is too much at one time.. by the time you've got the camera out of the bag and fiddled with it, the animal's legged it

i've now taken to stalking the animals (there's a fox i see in the field behind my house, and deer, and a barn owl that hunts regularly) without a camera... this (i hope) will allow the stalking bit to become 2nd nature, and i will learn the animals habits, where it goes, and when, so i can get myself into a good hidden position and wait for the animal to come to me.

Then i'll start taking the camera out with me to try and get the photographs :)

that's my 2p worth, hope it helps
Steve

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well animals are creatures of habit. They have routines, just as humans do. So if you see something crossing the path one day, go back the next at the same sort of time, sit down and make yourself comfy. ITs suprising what you get to see if you just sit still and quiet for long enough.
Good luck :)
rich

Dec 22, 2006
Rural Oregon, USA
Excellent thread,

I would like to add some comments on wildlife photography. Yes stalking is probably the hardest skill to master. Blinds near trails are great. Also not mentioned is "Calling", which is mimicking distress calls, mating calls or other noises animals make such as "lost calf". The neat thing about calling is that the animals come to you. Distress calls are great for animals of prey (predators) and depending on animals in your area can be very dangerous. As the animal approaches you can photograph them, sometimes at very close ranges.

Easiest entry to calling is to use a electronic caller, I use both. There are many hunting sites that cover the calling, but a camera works very well instead of a firearm. Where dangerous game is present one should think about safety and self protection. You many never know what predator will answer to your call. I have had desert hawks, coyotes, mtn. lions, owls ect answer a cotton tail rabbit distress call, even someones pet dog.

Other aspect of out door photography is also flora and land scape. There are many books on these topics. The real secret is getting out there and doing it.

Best,

H.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
so if i set up a hide using an old tarp or something and call for the animals i wish to photograph i have more chance of getting that shot as opposed to stalking the animal
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i was just reading the paper and saw my picture of the marshes in there A5 size, yipeeee
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep you have! You can but Roe deer calls quite cheaply that will call them in if you are careful - try attelborough accesories or Deben

Any chance of a photo of the paper open to the page with your piccy in?

Red

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I'm just posting to say that I finely got my new camera :D . It's a Fuji-film s6500, and it is brilliant. I only got it yesterday so haven't had much time to play with it but it looks like it's going to be grate to use. I can't wait to get out and start snapping, now all I need is for it to stop raining and blowing a gail and I'll get out there :rolleyes: .

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hi Leon, photography is addictive isn't it? Bought a Nikon D50 middle of last year and whilst I havent had masses of time to really learn I generally take it out and just snap as I'm walking in the hope that I'll get a few decent pics.

Here's a few that I quite liked:

TreeRoots-Small.jpg

Tilley-BW.jpg

Swans-2heads-small.jpg

Swan.jpg

birdie.jpg

Itchen-1.jpg

Let me know what you think

Matt

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
leon-b said:
nice, feel free to post your pics on here
leon

Thanks, I haven't managed to get out with it yet, I've had a cold the last few days :( , but I remembered what British Red said about leaves. So I took a couple (60) :eek: pics of a leaf I found in the house. Now I know what Red meant about getting the perfect picture, it's damn hard :rolleyes: .

But here are the best so far.

Those are some lovely pictures Lithril, I really like the tree and the two swans, I hope I can produce something nearly as good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE