photography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
thanks AA i see what you mean about the picture 1 looking wonky, picture 3 thanks i will get some of the foreground in next time, i like the idea of drawing the viewer into the picture, picture 4 yes it does look a bit blury doesnt it, it was probebly because the landrover was vibrating as the engine was on, picture 5, i will have to look through the manual and find where the focus button is
i will test it out again tommorow hopefully, any ideas what to try?
thanks leon

Anything that takes your fancy...it don't cost nothing :D

Try:
Landscapes
Urbanscapes
Moveing objects
Close ups
Portraits
Self portraits with the timer

Literaly anything and everything :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

get a perfect (and I men perfect) picture of a single leaf. Thats it. Don't care what species. Living or dead. But it must be interesting, sharp, perfectly exposed (think bright sun) and worth looking at. Just that. One leaf. I suspect you will need to fill the memory card. Twice. Who cares? Just one, perfect, sharp leaf.

Red

In fact I'll take a (new) one too if you like - what about you AA? One leaf? Up for it?

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok one leaf red - i take it i use the macro setting for this ?, AA i will try every setting there is if time allows, the camera has a choice between 2 sec and 10 sec cant wait to try it
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup probably macro setting - try without if you like - get a feel for the camera! But I need to be able to feel the leaf by looking at it....smell it in fact....pin sharp, like I could know the tree by seeing it.

You want me to do one too or are you just gonna go for it?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes you do one to and then i can compare, any tips on how to get it perfect and pin sharp, what settings etc
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, your camera - you sort it out ;)

Try macro, with and without flash, go for a walk, find a leaf WORTH photographing - shape, colour whatever. I may sling a tripod too and try with and without.

Shoot with sun in front, sun behind, sun to the side. Shoot hundreds of that leaf! Have you got the patience?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
shall i leave it on the auto setting ?
ok so im going to try:
macro on
macro off
flash on
flash off
sun behind
sun in front

how many shots should i be taking ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
shall i delete the photos as i go along or at the end, if i do it at the end i will get confused lol
leon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
leon-b said:
shall i delete the photos as i go along or at the end, if i do it at the end i will get confused lol
leon

I'd say don't delete any, save them all to your PC, you will be able to look back and see were and why you went wrong.
back them up to a CD, I mean what does it cost for a CDs a few pence?
that way you will always have them to learn from.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
how much shall i post on here ?, i have a load of cd's i will store them all on there
leon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
leon-b said:
how much shall i post on here ?, i have a load of cd's i will store them all on there
leon

I’d use some thing like photobucket www.photobucket.com It is free and easy to set up an account, it also means that you could post small thumbnails in a post (it even does all the coding for you) People with slow connections don’t like lots of pictures in a thread as it takes ages to load. It also means that to a point you can show people higher quality pictures.
Five or so thumbnails per post will not bother most dial up connections.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the next thing im in the market for is a tripod, how much can these be picked up for and can anyone reccomend a goodun
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think image shack can post thumbnails, i read something about baiting for birds of prey and then photographing them, do you just throw down some food for them ?
leon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
leon-b said:
the next thing im in the market for is a tripod, how much can these be picked up for and can anyone reccomend a goodun
leon

If you plan to do lots of landscape photography, then a tripod is a must. But the better the tripod the more it will cost, and the more it will weigh. There is a trade off on stability and weight.
ebay is a good place to start, I've used both a slik and a Velbon tripod, they are heavy (3lb or more) but sturdy, sturdy enough to take the weight of a camera bag suspended underneath to prevent the whole lot from being blown over in a storm. Saying that I don’t use a tripod at all now, preferring a mono pod. Mono pods are portable and stow better, so unless you need to have one I’d avoid buying one until that need makes itself known. Learning to brace yourself against things like fences, trees, building and of course trying things like laying down, and resting the camera against something solid. I think you would be better of buying an off camera flash gun before buying a tripod.(IMHO) as I have found a separate flash is used more often than my tripod, especially if I’m traipsing about the woods.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i like this talk about monopods as i want something that packs small
have you got any info on shooting birds as they are flying, would i use the continues shoot mode on my camera ?
leon

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
leon-b said:
i like this talk about monopods as i want something that packs small
have you got any info on shooting birds as they are flying, would i use the continues shoot mode on my camera ?
leon
I have (as far as I as remember) never taken shots of flying birds unless the odd seagull that flies in to the frame when I am taking pictures so no I know nothing about how to photograph flying animals. I have taken hundreds of shots of remotely controlled prop powered and jet powered model airplanes. Does that count?
Personally, I’m a keep “pressing the shutter on manual” type photographer, on my camera the loss of quality with the multi frame sequence is just too high. To get the frame rate the picture quality drops from a 2560 x 1920 tiff file to a 1024 x 768 jpg file.
I guess it depends on your camera, if the quality is good enough for what you want then do it, if not then try something else.

Oct 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hey Leon-b and all

Wish I read this thread sooner. Looks like you found a great camera. I have been a professional photographer for quite a while now.http://www.timeless-photo.ca/ If u have any questions about photography please let me know. As for a few tips here are some to get u started

Just like your bushcraft knife, always put your camera lens cap on and put in it your camera bag when not in use.

Try a diffrent angle, we usually see the world standing up and straight ahead. Get down low and shoot up, lay down, get up high and shoot down.

When taking photos of people or pets stand back and zoom in.

When taking macros use a tripod.

When taking landscapes use a tripod.

When taking night shots use a tripod. ( see where this is going :)

When you get the photos on your computer try changing them from color to Black and White. Your may be suprised how good they look that way.

Take lots of photos and ask questions if you need to know how anything is done.

Glad to see your trying all the settings on your camera thats the best thing u can do to learn. You can see on the night shot of your chimnea the shutter stayed open longer than the auto setting and let more fire light in. Looks good keep it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE