photography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
British Red said:
In fact I'll take a (new) one too if you like - what about you AA? One leaf? Up for it?

Red

I'm up for it for sure. I'm back at work now and it looks like the weather 'aint gonna be good enough until at least Monday.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Kona said:
Try a diffrent angle, we usually see the world standing up and straight ahead. Get down low and shoot up, lay down, get up high and shoot down.

Yes one of the photos I'm most proud of was taken like that, it was only taken with a little Olympus automatic camera but it looked really good.

And I always take lodes delete the ones that are obviously blurred or out of focus as im going, then put the rest on the computer and pick out the best ones on there. Its not like I know anything about photography but it works for me :) .

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
im busy today so i dont think i will be able to test the camera out again, kone thanks alot for those tips
how do i photograph something thats moving ?
on my camera settings there is auto,anti blur,natural light, portrait, landscape,night mode and movie. then there is m,a,s,p what do these stand for ?
thanks mate and welcome to bcuk
leon

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
leon-b said:
im busy today so i dont think i will be able to test the camera out again, kone thanks alot for those tips
how do i photograph something thats moving ?
on my camera settings there is auto,anti blur,natural light, portrait, landscape,night mode and movie. then there is m,a,s,p what do these stand for ?
thanks mate and welcome to bcuk
leon

M= Manual, full manual control of the camera
A= Aperture priority
S= Shutter priority
P= Program <full auto>

Moving subjects.

Either fast shutter speeds to freeze the subject on a prefocused area. Or pan with the subject using either fast speeds to freeze the action or a slower speed to blur the action. Both can be effective.

PS......if all else fails......read the instructions :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
what do i use these for ?
manual
aperture priority
shutter priotity
program

thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have finished my chores and im going out with my camera in about half an hour, the weather is rubbish but the rain is holding off at the moment
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im back, i took lots of photos and deleted most of them, un fortunately i didnt take a pic of a leaf but i will soon
pictures will be up soon, i think i will post them in list to learn as i dont was to make it hard for people to open this thread
leon

Oct 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
leon-b said:
what do i use these for ?
manual
aperture priority
shutter priotity
program

thanks leon

Hey Leon-b

The Manual setting lets u pick your setting(shutter speed and aperture). Its like an over ride for the auto setting, the camera on auto picks what it thinks is the best setting. Sometimes what it thinks is the best may not be the best so this setting lets u pick what u think is the best.

Aperture priority - sets the camera to give u the highest aperture it can.

Shutter priority - Again it sets the camera to give u the highest shutter speed it can

Apeture is related to how much of a photo will be in focus. The numbers can range from 1.4 up to 64. The higher the apeture # the more that is in focus. So if you are taking a photo of a forest full of trees and some trees are 5 feet away and some are 200 feet away the higher the apeture # the more trees in the photo will be in focus. So this setting is perfect for landscapes.

Shutter speed is the amount of time the camera opens up to let light in. It's numbers are representing fractions of a second. So the higher the number the faster the camera opens and closes. This is the ability to freeze action or blur action. So this setting is great for people, animals, cars or anything that moves fast.

The realtion of Apeture and Shutter speed is inversely related. If one goes up the other goes down. So its kind of a trade off one or the other. Fast shutter speed or lots in focus.

The Program mode picks a shutter speed and apeture in the middle. Not the fastest shutter speed but not the slowest. Not the biggest apeture but not the smallest. Just something in the middle. Good for around the house, friends and family type pictures, general photography..

I hope this helps. I tried to explain it the way it was taught to me. Sometimes its hard to forget what u know and try to explain it so everyone can understand. Ill try and put some examples up as well

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Kona said:
Hey Leon-b

The Manual setting lets u pick your setting(shutter speed and aperture). Its like an over ride for the auto setting, the camera on auto picks what it thinks is the best setting. Sometimes what it thinks is the best may not be the best so this setting lets u pick what u think is the best.

Shutter priority - Again it sets the camera to give u the highest shutter speed it can

Apeture is related to how much of a photo will be in focus. The numbers can range from 1.4 up to 64. The higher the apeture # the more that is in focus. So if you are taking a photo of a forest full of trees and some trees are 5 feet away and some are 200 feet away the higher the apeture # the more trees in the photo will be in focus. So this setting is perfect for landscapes.

Shutter speed is the amount of time the camera opens up to let light in. It's numbers are representing fractions of a second. So the higher the number the faster the camera opens and closes. This is the ability to freeze action or blur action. So this setting is great for people, animals, cars or anything that moves fast.

The realtion of Apeture and Shutter speed is inversely related. If one goes up the other goes down. So its kind of a trade off one or the other. Fast shutter speed or lots in focus.

The Program mode picks a shutter speed and apeture in the middle. Not the fastest shutter speed but not the slowest. Not the biggest apeture but not the smallest. Just something in the middle. Good for around the house, friends and family type pictures, general photography..

I hope this helps. I tried to explain it the way it was taught to me. Sometimes its hard to forget what u know and try to explain it so everyone can understand. Ill try and put some examples up as well

Excellent thanks for that,

I had something similar done at work this afternoon, then i had to deal with a customer. When i came back i had timed out and lost the lot! :( i wasn't looking forward to retyping it
:You_Rock_

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Kona said:

not exactly, at least on all my cameras, one of which is a fuji S5000 ;)

Aperture priority : this will allow you to choose the aperture you want. the camera will then calculate the shutter speed required for a correct exposure.

Shutter priority : this will allow you to choose the shutter speed you want. the camera will then calculate the aperture size required for a correct exposure.

Manual mode will allow you to set both, but it's down to YOU to pick a combination that gives a correct exposure!

i should think leons gonna be suffering from information overload at this rate!!

HTH
Steve

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
bikething said:
i should think leons gonna be suffering from information overload at this rate!!

HTH
Steve

I don't know whether he is but I shore am :eek: :lmao: . Grate info though, well worth a nether reed through I'm shore :You_Rock_ .

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BTW Leon,

Has anyone told you how much your interest and asking questions has contributed to this forum?

If they haven't, let me tell you that your interest and enthusiasm adds a lot to this place - and we all learn from reading the answers to the questions you ask. Thank you little bro.

Red

Reactions: g4ghb

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd like to add my support to Red's comments - You have added a great load of knowledge to us all without realising it

for example the canon site posted bt Bikething is probably the clearest site explaining photoghraphy i've found. It dosn't go into great detail but covers enough to explain the basics

rep to you both! - to red for realising and saying the obvious that we have all overlooked and bt for the site link :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks kona you seem to be very knowledgable on photography and thanks very much red for what you said
keep the info coming
leon

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
BTW Leon,

Has anyone told you how much your interest and asking questions has contributed to this forum?

If they haven't, let me tell you that your interest and enthusiasm adds a lot to this place - and we all learn from reading the answers to the questions you ask. Thank you little bro.

Red

Very very true, leon you ask the questions a lot of us wonted to know but couldn't be bothered to ask, and your enthusiasm inspires us to get up and doing. On behalf of all us lazy sods I thank you :D :You_Rock_ .

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks which doctor, i do ask a lot of questions but it does help me alot and hopefully it helps a few others
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just sent my sunset picture and another one to the local paper, they put a pic in there everyday, maybe it will get in
leon

Oct 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
bikething said:
not exactly, at least on all my cameras, one of which is a fuji S5000 ;)

Aperture priority : this will allow you to choose the aperture you want. the camera will then calculate the shutter speed required for a correct exposure.

Shutter priority : this will allow you to choose the shutter speed you want. the camera will then calculate the aperture size required for a correct exposure.

HTH
Steve

Thanks your right I think thats the way it is for most cameras. And your link is great as well very easy read.

Leon-b, I agree keep your questions comming they are great. Your knife making questions helped me out a ton. I also love how u have had your camera for only a few days and already sent some photos to the paper keep it up :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE