Photography (Macro lens)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 1, 2006
derbyshire
A 180mm can be a very useful lenght to give you the distance from the subject. The other option and cheaper is extension tubes which can be used on most lenses. But in by my experiance the 60mm canon is brilliant lens closely followed by the 90mm tamron macro. Remenber 60mm =90mm and 90mm=135mm on your camera which gives you abit more to play with.

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
Butterflys are one of the easyer things to sneak on, the current camera i use has a fixed lens of 38-380 equivalent, (although i do shoot 35mm SLR with a tamron)

for the macro mode on this these are my focusing distances

7cm macro mode (38), 120cm (380)
so at minimum zoom i need to be around 7CM and at max 120CM, usually ill get close in and work on minimal zoom

3cm 'Super Macro' mode (no zoom)
This is something im not sure u will have but iv still managed to sneak up on butterflys with this one (dragon flys are another matter)

When using reverse lens macro my focusing is right down to mm and the amount of shots u will need if the thing moves u have to start all over again.

Each lens will have its own point that it will focus at and differing DOF (amount of area in focus) usually the more you pay the better you get, your best bet is to take your camera to jessops and try out a few lense (both dedicated macro and tamron zooms with macro capability) take a coin out your pocket, put it on the counter and fire a few macro shots on each to test out the focus distance for varying zoom, DOF and image size You then have something you can take home to compare results and decide. For shooting butterflys and such Macro filters will actually provide acceptable results at a fraction of the price, For me a dedicated macro lense is something i would only consider using for shots such as detailed ants climbing a blade of grass, flora fauna bugs n creepy crawlies can all be shot with macro filters and/or a tamron zoom (macro) lens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE