phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 25, 2013
Northern ireland
I was wondering if most people simply bag up their own phone or has anyone tried some of the ruggidised phones..? If so who has found what phones good outside

Cheers

Steve

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I use 2 otterbox cases for my iPhone, I use a rubber one most of the time but I have a defender for if it's likely to get banged around. Both work well though they aren't waterproof.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mine just gets chucked in a dry bag if I'm canoeing, then clipped to the front thwart with other important stuff like my baccy and a lighter :)

If I'm hiking I use a mini Aloksak and just put it in a pocket in the pack, too many p's there sorry

Once I'm out it gets forgotten about until I need to check-in with the wife, if it stays on I get bombarded with emails and sms alerts from work.

will not take a phone that has work contacts on it, bought a £10 tesco one and it goes in a thick lidle freezer bag, family and friends have that one. No email either. If it does get soaked, trodden on, forgotten or slips through a hole in time I dont much care. I do have a small laminated card with all the numbers on though - I am now of the age where no phone = forgotten numbers :(

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Small ortlieb pouch, plus defender case for the trusty phone. Camping in Scotland can be wet with hints of sunshine, although this summer beats the trend.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Otterbox defender which is on the iPhone all the time (I'm clumsy!) :) Then I add a sealable plastic bag in the canoe or if the weather is especially inclement.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I use a Motorola Defy mini, it's waterproof and supposed to be tough, it goes kayaking a couple of times a week and has swam several times with no ill effects, it also cost less than £100, so I have to say I'd recommend it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
will not take a phone that has work contacts on it, bought a £10 tesco one and it goes in a thick lidle freezer bag, family and friends have that one. No email either. If it does get soaked, trodden on, forgotten or slips through a hole in time I dont much care. I do have a small laminated card with all the numbers on though - I am now of the age where no phone = forgotten numbers :(

I do like that idea of second phone,. Work for my self and never seem to get away without it.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2100-Solid-Extreme-Mobile/dp/B0027I8DT8

I have one of these - it was free (on contract) 4 years ago. Wouldn't pay 80 quid for one, but it does the job - it's put up with a lot of abuse and wet (from 'thin rucksack in the pouring rain' to total immersion). The keyboard is clunky and the predictive text isn't great, but it works ok as a simple phone and text device and the battery life is good. It also takes away the temptation to spend time fannying around with a smartphone when I could be doing something more useful.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2100-Solid-Extreme-Mobile/dp/B0027I8DT8

I have one of these - it was free (on contract) 4 years ago. Wouldn't pay 80 quid for one, but it does the job - it's put up with a lot of abuse and wet (from 'thin rucksack in the pouring rain' to total immersion). The keyboard is clunky and the predictive text isn't great, but it works ok as a simple phone and text device and the battery life is good. It also takes away the temptation to spend time fannying around with a smartphone when I could be doing something more useful.

Will have to keep an eye out for a cheapo one. Removing that temptation is something that would be good, that along with friends n family only knowing the number.
Thanks.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Me and SWMBO have iphones and bought smallish Peli cases for them, you can't use them when inside obviously (who makes a call from the hills anyway?), but they're pretty much indestructible and totally waterproof. Only take them for possible emergencies and for me and the dog to call home when on walks of a few days.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I only have the one phone. Doesn't really matter; I just leave it in the truck when I'm out in the woods. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are where you can get a phone signal, you ain't really in the outdoors.

Binoculars however are a whole different story!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE