phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
£10 tescos goes in the pack while the expensive galaxy note stays at home, coz if anyones gonna fall.or sit on their phone its gonna be me! !

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If it just an overnighter I tend to take my smartphone in a dry bag. For longer trips I use a Nokia c1-01. Very long battery life, I found it lasted 13 days just sat idling. Plus its got a radio and a micro sd slot for music etc. I just got a micro SIM adapter so I don't have to use a different phone number.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
I only have the one phone. Doesn't really matter; I just leave it in the truck when I'm out in the woods. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are where you can get a phone signal, you ain't really in the outdoors.

Binoculars however are a whole different story!

For me it's a safety thing - I do a lot of long (ish) distance off road running alone. When I had a more sophisticated (and expensive) phone, I often didn't carry it because the extra step of putting it in a dry container was a nuisance. Having a phone that can just be dropped in a rucksack/bumbag even in the worst weather has meant that I pretty much always carry it if I'm going more than a few miles.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I only have the one phone. Doesn't really matter; I just leave it in the truck when I'm out in the woods. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are where you can get a phone signal, you ain't really in the outdoors.

Binoculars however are a whole different story!

But you live in the USA and are still well behind the UK in terms of mobile/cell coverage. http://maps.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-services/ These days the mobile phone is as much a safety/rescue tool as it is a means of phoning home. Leaving one behind is...foolish (I'm being polite there).

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I like to blend in with my enviroment to if im out and about it can only be the duck phone

mgtHurttQoXE5-QbLtzU8tQ.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But you live in the USA and are still well behind the UK in terms of mobile/cell coverage. http://maps.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-services/ These days the mobile phone is as much a safety/rescue tool as it is a means of phoning home. Leaving one behind is...foolish (I'm being polite there).

Yes we're behind you in cell coverage. And you're behind us in true wilderness. I kinda think we got the better end of that trade.

Safety/recue tool? maybe. But that defeats a major purpose of the adventure doesn't it; being totally on your own.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes we're behind you in cell coverage. And you're behind us in true wilderness. I kinda think we got the better end of that trade.

Safety/rescue tool? maybe. But that defeats a major purpose of the adventure doesn't it; being totally on your own.

Absolutely is a potential rescue tool can't see how you can say otherwise and a major objective of being outdoors is whilst enjoying yourself you maintain your safety so leaving your phone behind is...dumb.

Yes, America is bigger but don't see how thats relevant or a trade.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Absolutely is a potential rescue tool can't see how you can say otherwise and a major objective of being outdoors is whilst enjoying yourself you maintain your safety so leaving your phone behind is...dumb.

Yes, America is bigger but don't see how thats relevant or a trade.

The relevancy is the point of my original post; if you can get cell phone coverage, you're not really out in the woods. Why bother carrying a cell phone where it won't work anyway? And if it does work, it means you haven't ventured more than a few miles from civilization. Where's the adventure in that?

Safety tool? Yes. But that level of safety is counterproductive to the adventure. It's supposed to be a tool, not a leash.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The relevancy is the point of my original post; if you can get cell phone coverage, you're not really out in the woods. Why bother carrying a cell phone where it won't work anyway? And if it does work, it means you haven't ventured more than a few miles from civilization. Where's the adventure in that?

Safety tool? Yes. But that level of safety is counterproductive to the adventure. It's supposed to be a tool, not a leash.

*cough* satphone *cough*

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

How on earth is it a leash lol Don't forget its often not just a phone, its a media player, camera, video camera, GPS. Hey, you want to put yourself at risk carry on mate.

Looks like its getting better over there

http://www.uscellular.com/coverage-map/coverage-indicator.html

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How on earth is it a leash lol Don't forget its often not just a phone, its a media player, camera, video camera, GPS. Hey, you want to put yourself at risk carry on mate.

Looks like its getting better over there

http://www.uscellular.com/coverage-map/coverage-indicator.html

Coverage is even better than what that link shows; that's only for one particular cell phone company (there are dozens to choose from) but there is still (and won't be for the foreseeable future) any coverage in truly remote areas; areas where there are fewer than say a dozen potential customers living within a hundred mile squared (that's 10,000 square miles) There just wouldn't be any profit in it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How on earth is it a leash lol Don't forget its often not just a phone, its a media player, camera, video camera, GPS. Hey, you want to put yourself at risk carry on mate....

Actually mine doesn't have any of those apps except for a very, very poor still camera. Nor do I want them. And how am I any more at risk now than I was 15 years ago when I didn't even own one? do you really believe I'd be able to make a call anyway after being mauled by a bear?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Actually mine doesn't have any of those apps except for a very, very poor camera. Nor do I want them. And how am I any more at risk now than I was 15 years ago when I didn't even own one? do you really believe I'd be able to make a call anyway after being mauled by a bear?

The risk factor is no greater these days other than you are older/more frail but why snub a survival tool which could save your life?, you make no sense at times chap :)

Would you not have drawn a .44 magnum and shot the bear before a mauling? I know two stove collectors (yep stove collectors) who carry a .44 pistol as back up to their rifle(s) (actually one wears a Glock and a .357 to Church but he's a tad strange) when in bear country, and they take phones.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The risk factor is no greater these days other than you are older/more frail but why snub a survival tool which could save your life?, you make no sense at times chap :)

Would you not have drawn a .44 magnum and shot the bear before a mauling?....

Well I'm certainly older and a bit clumsier. LOL. And yes I'd try to shoot the bear first. But if I was successful there'd be no need to call would there.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....I know two stove collectors (yep stove collectors) who carry a .44 pistol as back up to their rifle(s) (actually one wears a Glock and a .357 to Church but he's a tad strange) when in bear country, and they take phones.

Believe it or not I know a preacher like that. He has that mindset anyway but not necessarily the same choice of weapons. But as I said, where I like to go, cell phones don't work. That's actually part (a small part) of what I mean by calling them a leash. Not only have people seemingly forgotten how to get along without them, they allow them (or rather allow a map of where the phones or internet will work) to dictate where they will or will not go.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE