Petroleum jelly boxes !

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hello Everyone,
I was wandering if i could make a small box for some Vaseline using a spent Gun Cartridge and a Brass shell kindly provided by a12Jpm and WOOF for Firelighting with cotton, jute and tissue paper.

so i decided to have a go! Pictures are not too heavy.

The first small box is a spent Gun Cartridge winchester 12" and a Espana 12" taken me 45 minutes to make it. Melting of one Cartridge to fit in the other.

vaslineboxes001.jpg

vaslineboxes002.jpg

Brass shell .45 Auto Gun Cartridge !

The second boxes was a little bit tricky as i do not have a vice ! so i used a pair of pliers, a small hacksaw and a file. after cutting the second cap just below the rim to fit the hollow barrel using the file! taken me just under 1 hour. The Brass shell is so light that you dont know it there and easily fits in a shirt/ trousers pocket!

so here it is. easy when you know how to now.

vaslineboxes004.jpg

Any constructive comment would be appreciated.
Regards
hans
the interceptor boy.

galew

Tenderfoot
Don't know if anyone else has tried it, I us an old cigarette lighter the one that used napha, I removed the cotton and wick and use q-tips soaked in pet. jelly cut off the stems. I also removed part of the wind guard, ground it off using a grindstone. So I have my flint starter and everything together.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Don't know if anyone else has tried it, I us an old cigarette lighter the one that used napha, I removed the cotton and wick and use q-tips soaked in pet. jelly cut off the stems. I also removed part of the wind guard, ground it off using a grindstone. So I have my flint starter and everything together.

Interesting..... any chance of a pic?:rolleyes:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Regards
hans
the interceptor boy.

looks good mate! - I have made a few myself from 12 bore cartridges - theywork a treat don't they:D - I do like the all brass one though - any chance of a bigger pic of that one please? ;)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Hello Everyone,
I was wandering if i could make a small box for some Vaseline using a spent Gun Cartridge and a Brass shell kindly provided by a12Jpm and WOOF for Firelighting with cotton, jute and tissue paper.

so i decided to have a go! Pictures are not too heavy.

The first small box is a spent Gun Cartridge winchester 12" and a Espana 12" taken me 45 minutes to make it. Melting of one Cartridge to fit in the other.

Brass shell .45 Auto Gun Cartridge !

The second boxes was a little bit tricky as i do not have a vice ! so i used a pair of pliers, a small hacksaw and a file. after cutting the second cap just below the rim to fit the hollow barrel using the file! taken me just under 1 hour. The Brass shell is so light that you dont know it there and easily fits in a shirt/ trousers pocket!

so here it is. easy when you know how to now.

Regards
hans
the interceptor boy.

Love the all brass one also!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well done, glad you could make use of the .45 cases, i just necked one case slightly so it fits over another one, yours however looks far better, welldone !.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE