Personal First Aid Kit - My Contents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, being laid up, I have been giving some kit a needed overhaul. I decided to overhaul my small personal First Aid Kit. I have an even smaller version for short walks and a larger “group” sized one but this is my overnight / weekend size.

Since there have been some threads about first aid recently, I thought I would show what I carry. I’m not suggesting this is a perfect formula, its just what I have put together based on things that have happened over the years.

From a philosophy point of view, I guess this is intended to deal with small to medium incidents – no huge ambulance dressings or FFDs etc. I do sometimes carry an FFD in a pocket, but generally something can be improvised with a wad of cloth and a conforming bandage in any case.

Size wise I guess its about the size of a paperback book. Here it is

544240621_ec53f16b79.jpg

I like this design (available from St John’s Ambulance) as the all round zip allows it to open out giving easy and clear access to a number of separate compartments.

544240625_05d2ff8601.jpg

I tend to put things together by need. The left hand large pocket is for wounds, the open pockets for nicks and blisters and the right hand pocket for tools and miscellaneous stuff.

Here’s the wound pocket contents

544240635_50f2dee169.jpg

Two (#8) medium wound dressings. I find these make a very flexible combination – they seem to be used mostly for limbs and hands. One forms a pad and the other can be wrapped over the top. Good for hands, arms and legs.

One (#16) eye pad. I have seen several minor but painful eye injuries. Sparks, branches etc. all seem to seek them out.

One triangular bandage. I love these things. Good for sling, head wounds and have been used for bandanas to cover sunburned necks – padding for bergan strap rubbed areas etc.

One 7.5cm conforming bandages – good for minor sprains and strains on ankles and wrists but can also team up with the triangular to make a large dressing

Four 5cm melolin wound pads. Good for scrapes, grazes, smaller burs – anything sore that needs covering.

One disposable plastic finger stall. Its always fingers isn’t it? So these cost pennies but keep a cut finger clean and supported. I like them.

Roll of micropore tape. Plasters never stick and this is also useful for securing the pads over grazes etc.

A dozen safety pins good for bandages, torn clothes, digging out splinters etc. Useful things

Antispetic wipes. I buy good ones (Savlon) and keep plenty – so much easier than liquids and creams.

Gloves – a nitrile pair and a sealed vinyl pair. I have abandoned latex as BB is allergic. More for keeping me out of the wound than the wound out of me although both are good!

Next the quick access pouches

544240639_69e9bad146.jpg

On the left I keep a disposable resus shield. Never needed it yet ….touch wood!

On the right a small ziplock full of plasters in various types. My most used item so I keep a variety and all quality ones. I prefer fabric types as they seem to stick better.

In the pack there are.

Four long plasters for fingers

Four small plasters for nicks

Two gel plasters designed to cushion blisters

Two longer plasters that I can cut for knuckles, fingertips etc.

A large patch of synthetic moleskin for rubs and blisters.

A pack of mixed steri strips for deeper cuts

Lastly the odds and ends pocket

544240659_16692e301a.jpg

In here we have

Small clean pair of scissors – useful for cutting plasters etc to fit. Kept clean

Both sizes of tick hook – cost a couple of quid and a must have for bushcraft in my view

Two packets of dehydration salts. Diarrhoea can wipe you out fast. These are so useful for combating the worst effects. A useful addition if eating unusual or wild foods.
Bite spray. No repellent here because I pack that separately. Bushbaby can react to bites so it’s a must carry item.

Small can of Vaseline. Useful for windburn, chapped lips etc. A few cotton wool balls in case I need some tinder! I don’t like them in wounds as they leave strands behind so I use melolin pads for cleaning.

Tablets – Immodium plus – same reason as to salts. Strong and normal analgesics. A strip of antihistamines for bites and stings.

A sealed ampoule of saline and an eye bath. Useful for “midge in the eye”, “branch whipped face”, “flying sparkitis” etc. The saline can also be used for irrigating cuts.

Tweezers. For those “thorn and splinter moments”.

That’s it. Not too fancy and based around my needs. Its no paramedics grab bag but it is small enough to keep handy. Hopefully that’s interesting to someone.

Red

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thats really useful and very similar to the line I'm going.Like the Sja bag for the kit been looking at these but not got round to buying. Not got the tick twisters ....what make,what sizes and where from? Vets I guess.
Really useful thread.
Dave

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
am a x st john ambulance your F A kit is very good one thing missing RESOLVE for those moments the next morning after sitting around the camp fire the night before having nipped out for a few to many tinnys ASPRIN is also a good one to have to give to heart attack casulties they take up no space cheers SCRIVY

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks Red, good to see what others have, there is one or two things there I must get...
I use zinc oxide tape as opposed to micropore, its a great 2nd skin and sticks like...

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Tick hook is a must as is Witch Hazel ointment/gel, superb stuff. I used my Lidl fiver first aid pack's tick tweezer on sunday after canoeing I caught one. I also take one of the wee alcohol jelly hand wash stuf after seeing Warthog with it. Great for cleaning tick wounds and hands after camp ablutions.

Nick

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Any one fancy getting something going here with first aid wild style IE willow bark or meadow sweet ( for head aches ) plantain leaves spagnan moss (wound dressing )

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

The most important bit of kit! I plan to overhaul my tiny pocket one shortly which is great for short walks and is "cigarette pack" size. I used to keep only big ones but the danger is they get left behind. I keep a few plasters and so forth in my possibles pouch, but there is a place for a nice pocket kit.

Red

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
for personal use I use zink oxide tape, I wont use it on any else though (unless I know them and can be sure they aren't allergic).
Eye pads should be used in pairs really but in a small kit I'd just carry one.

With bushcarft stuff I'll add my burns kit

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just got round do ordering the zenith pack £3.99 from the SJA but £5.95 delivery.........not paying that tis a rip off.....back to looking for a nice fak bag!!!
Dave

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Great thread, British Red - many thanks. A further question: you don't carry anything for burns. What would you recommend for that or is there nothing worth carrying?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tiley - I've never had any serious burns that a good clean and a dressing couldn't handle. I guess you could use the vaseline for burns but I think thats contrary to current advice. There are plenty of burn creams on the market so its something that could certainly be added

Red

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
To begin, I'm not medically qualified so please check the validity of this post and if I'm wrong - tell me! As far as I'm aware any burn which is even remotely likely to require professional treatment is going to have to have any creams or gels removed prior to treatment and can infact seal the heat in (porous materials will have to be removed - leading to :censored: comments). I was told several years ago that the best thing to do (after taking the heat out of the wound) , as a quick fix, would be to cover the entire burn area in plastic - if you have to use cling-film make sure you leave an inch of the end folded back on itself so you can easily find it again! and seal it (REMEMBER: sealing the mouth/nose area can lead a more serious condition known as death), the reason being is that as plastic is non porous it not only stops nasties getting in it's also easier to remove as it will have kept the wound 'gooey'. The plastic can then be removed to allow cleaning/cooling and be reapplied if necessary. Professional treatment for serious burns will most likely include a broad-based anti-biotic to help the body fight the lil'nasties in the patients' system. To end - I'm not medically qualified so please check the validity of this post and if I'm wrong - tell me!

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Any burns minor or otherwise the best treatment is cooling with gentle running water for ideally a minimum of 15 minutes. This sounds a long time but at the local burns hospital if you compare the recovery of a child who has been burnt or scalded where cooling water has been applied the difference is amazing.
Two months later one who was treated with running water to remove the heat minor scarring only !
A child with the same area of burns who had not had it cooled just covered, which also holds the heat in SKIN GRAFTS FOR REST OF THEIR LIFE.
The nursing staff have advised us in the fire service that the best treatment is the running water, after cooling cover with clingfilm or if not available clean cotton dressing ie pillow case etc try to avoid anything that has a lot of loose fibres as these will need removing.
Do not cover untill it has been cooled as the covering will keep the heat in.
Under no circumstances should any creams or ointments of any sort be applied
Then seek medical attention,
The burn creams etc they would only use on a minor burn not bigger, than a 5p piece because generally this is the type of burn most adults suffer and are unlikely to need medical assistance.
On a child or infant any burn should be treated as serious and medical attention sought .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good info guys - thanks - the cold running water is certainly the advice I was given although when I have burned myself at home 15 minutes does seem a long, long time!

Red

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I thout it was at least 10minutes but 15wont do any harm (also if you tell people 15 they might keep cold water on for 10 rather then 5 or so if you tell them 10)

As far as the FAW goes burns which should be sent to hospital are
any superfical burn with a size which is 5 times the palm or the persons hand
any partial thickness burn the size of the hands palm
any full thickness burn
any burn to the hands feet face or genitalia
any burn which goes all the way round a limb
any chlid with a burn

when using cling film unwrap a load of it first so that you know you've got clean stuff being put onto the wound, this should be after at least 10minutes in cool water (running if possible) Do not use ice packs or similar.
On the matter of burns packs, I think the cream will help keep the wound cool and damp, any excess stuff in the packect can be poured over the pad to give extra help
If your dressing it with normal bandages do do it too tightly, try not to knot the bandage over the burn itself (unlike a cut where you do for the extra pressure). When I've covered burns with melolin pads I've used a pad a fair bit bigger then the burn and just used a bit of tape to hold it in place. This keeps it clean without putting undue pressure on the wound and by using a larger pad you can take it off with less risk of pulling at the wound or knocking it.
As a member of SJA my only comment on using other oils such things is that whilst on duty I wouldn't. I'm less by the book if it's me though

I must go and remind myself the dose of Asprin for a heart attack now, I know it's loads more then a normal dose

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Haven't got time to list all my major 1st aid kit stuff but the basic one I carry about on day trips is in a small OG pouch and consists of:

Assorted plasters, safety pins, small burn dressing, micropore, tweezers, alcohol cleaning pad, small all-purpose dressing, steristrips, cotton wool, field dressing and one of those stretchy bandages for sprains and stabilisation.

I also have a couple of puritabs and soluble aspirin.

You can't plan for everything but the items above will be fine for a typical local bushcraft trip (tweezers - ticks/splinters, field dressing/steristrips - deep cuts, plasters/small dressing - nicks and grazes, disprin/puritabs - headaches/pain relief, safety pins - dressing management and pinning clothes together for support for breaks and strains).

Everything except the stretchy bandage, micropore and field dressing fit in a small plastic case, and the whole lot goes in the pouch and into my Maxpedition tactical handbag.

Sometimes, in a benign environment, I just take the plastic box or remove the safety pins for air travel.

It's a flexible system and, I suppose, it's all modular and I add and subtract as necessary, depending on what I'm doing.

My main kit adds various drugs, hardware, useful items, trauma kit, sterile set, dental stuff etc, but is more of an expedition kit.

In Germany, by law we have to carry a 1st aid kit in the car, so I always have something available!!!

So, Red - how come you're laid up?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
for personal use I use zink oxide tape, I wont use it on any else though (unless I know them and can be sure they aren't allergic).
Eye pads should be used in pairs really but in a small kit I'd just carry one.

With bushcarft stuff I'll add my burns kit

Hmm surely a that would be a blindfold if used in pairs?

Other useful tips would could be: for bad burns don't try and pick anything out of the wound even if it's just cloth from your clothes, it may be stuck to something important. The same goes for any nasty puncture wounds you may be unlucky to get e.g. a large bit of wood sticking into your hand / arm / leg etc. Removing the offending item may well cause more damage internally. This is also true for knife wounds, if the knife is still in, don't remove it, let the professionals do that, even if it doesn't cause any more damage bleeding can increase.

Another danger out there is crush damage, especially if you're rock climbing etc It's fairly uncommon but good to know, that if a limb has been crushed and the rock is still on the limb depending on the time it's been there will determine if you should remove the rock. Last time I checked it was ten minutes, I am sure if this is incorrect someone will say so here. If you remove the rock after the time limit the toxins contained in the muscles will be released into the blood stream.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE