Personal First Aid Kit - My Contents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
That reminds me of a funny story......I used to work as a roofer and we would often be doing flat roofs using built up felt and bitumen....We would have to melt down big blocks of bitumen, pour it into a metal bucket and carry it up the ladder onto the roof....We would have a bucket of water around as a just in case, but most bitumen burns came from splashes, just small bits of it landing on your hands...The boss said the best way to deal with that was to quickly spit onto yourself, so we did that.... Anyway, I took a part time job at a Little Chef and was working on the griddle one evening, in full view of the customers, when I splashed a bit of the hot oil onto my hand....Instant reaction was to start spitting.......Oops

I've had the same looks frying breakfast for friends while out. I usually camp alone and that's my way of checking the fat's hot enough! On the bright side, I got all the bacon.:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hmmmm....Don't forget to update the stuff in you fak's as things go out of date.......
I cut my leg a goodun today, so out with the fak, got out an antiseptic wipe.....Dry as a bone....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Twice in one week eh Jon...nice going matey :D :D

Yeah, and they say things come in three's.....:eek: Best I stay in all weekend...
I now have a small fak in my day sack now, you will be pleased to hear. Also got me some of those deep cut plasters too

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
What brand where they mate? do they come with the strips and the plastic backing yeah?

Cheers.

Boots advanced first aid Faster healing Skin closure kit for deeper cuts...Yes come with steri strips and look just like the one you gave me, but bigger and has padding....

leon-1

quick note on the eye dressing

by putting on two of them covering both eyes you do end up with a blind person but if you only put on on and there is something in the eye which may cause further damage with movement the eye will move about as they work in pairs (shine a light near one eye and the pupil will contract shortly followed by the other, if this doesn't happen something isn't right). The idea of covering both eyes is that the person wont try to look around and cause further damage until it's delt with by a pro. Of course when on duty we normally get them to hospital without too much trouble so you may have to decide that in a bushcraft setting the risk from them being without eye sight is more dangerous then the risk of damage to the eye.

I have had nasty eye injuries on a couple of occasions, the last time it was when someone let go of a branch rather than handing it to me, it swang back and hit me in the eye, under normal circumstances it wouldn't of been too nasty, however I was in Kenya and it was an acacia. I had 10mm of acacia thorn sticking out of my eyeball and a large amount of it embedded in it.

I was casevac'd to an area with guys from the RAMC, only once I reached the first line of aid did they cover both eyes, one of the reasons was depth of field, a person with binocular vision has full depth perception, someone with monocular vision cannot perceive depth in the same way. Things that seemed flat weren't and I found myself falling in holes that didn't appear to be there until after I fell in them.

If you take away full vision and effectively make them blind you do two things, firstly make them more careful (you feel with your hands and feet when you try to move), secondly you restrict their movement (people naturally feel uncomfortable if you take away their vision, they will naturally sit down and not move unless they really have to).
One of the side effects of covering both eyes was that the screaming headache that I was suffering from reduced to a dull throb.
There are a number of good reasons for covering up both eyes, not just damage limitation.

When the doctor removed the offending object from my eye he also put in Flourazine (sp?) which is both an antiseptic and an anasthetic. It also makes the scratches on the eyeball fluoresce, so he showed me my eye, it looked like the A-Z of London drawn with a fluorescent pen, with it being very bloodshot as well I could of got a part in a horror movie.

After that I wore an eye patch for a number of days (just till the eye healed sufficiently) and continued to fall in holes as a part of day to day life, but initially I wore it because the Flourazine being an anasthetic also kills the blink reflex of the eye for a period of time.

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
I pack my first aid kit slightly differently.

The kit mostly consists of sterile triangular bandages. There is some melolin as well, but, well, that's it.
The theory is that I can use a triangular bandage as a wound pad, or to strap a dressing on (see also 'gaffer tape'), but I can't use a standard roller for anything I would use a triangular for (sling, head/elbow etc). The melolin is there also as a sterile dressing for wounds/burns/etc. Needs to be held in place, but that it what i have the bandages for.

My first aid kit is small, incredibly basic, and an every day carry.

I also have a 'minor injuries' kit, which contains all of the stuff for non life-threatening injuries.
The main things that I have in there that I don't think have been mentioned so far are:
Antihysamine tablets - for treatment of stings/bites/etc and
Saline. I carry a larger bottle of saline in there for washing out eyes, also for cleaning wounds if needed.

ttfn

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I would recomend everyone to include a roll of climbing finger tape in their first aid kits, it has an endless list of first aid applications. I usualy have a roll in my pocket every day (though I do climb a lot), and another in my first aid kit, (don't carry the kit every day). If your looking to go really small and light on a first aid kit, one good roll of tape is all you need.
It will hold dressings better than any zinc oxide or micropore tape, cover up small cuts, hold larger cuts together like sutures, can be used in place of bandages, repairs to clothing and equipment, it can even be re-used once or twice.

There are loads of different brands but I've found the best is made by strappal also packaged up and branded by Metolius. Its easy to tear to shape and size, so you don't need to faff about with cutting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE