Hydrocolloid Plasters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When do you use them and when not to use them?

I've got a deep,, little wound that's finally dried up and scabbed over but I need to protect it because it's where I'll knock it too easily. I've run out of large enough plasters and dressings apart from a few hydrocolloid plasters.

Since I've finally cleared up an infection I'm the wound with a course of antibiotics I don't know if a moist environment under such plasters is right now it's final stopped leaking blood or pus.

Anyone know whether they'd be a good idea?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
If its still leaking pus it hasn't healed yet. It needs to air.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Dry as a bone now. Which is why I wonder if these plasters are a good idea. I was brought up with the concept of a wound drying up being good. These plasters seem to work by keeping them moist.

I certainly think the scar reducing part of them is too late. The cut simply didn't close with steristrips so it's really only the protection of a plaster I need but not with these if they're not right to use.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I use them for protection purposes like you are considering, mainly because in positions that flex a lot they seem to stay on better than normal plasters

Sent from underground

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As far as I understand gel patches are to be used on unbroken skin against chaffing. Wound gels are apparently all antiseptic for the reason you mentioned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE