Personal Firebox or similar...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Been looking to buy a small firebox but could do with some pointers if anyone has something good to recommend!?

I'm after something small enough to contain a fire for one person (so it can be used for heat/light as well as cooking) that stands off the ground, folding/packable would be ideal and light weight.

Bushbuddy, too small as is the Vango Hexagon...

Looked at the Yukon/Trinity fireboxes with look pretty much ideal, just wondered if there where any other company's doing similar to compare.

Cheers, al.

forestwalker

There are several basic fireboxes, all with their good and bad points.

I have a Tentipi (small size) box, and I can sum it up like this

+ not too many loose pieces to loose
+ you can put it up in a couple of sticks, good in deep snow
+ you can use 2-3 pots on top of it
- rusts
- warps

The Yukon looks like it has two major advantages over the tentipi (never seen it in real life):
+ stainless or titanium
+ double floor (less damage to grass, etc, less risk of a fire)
- loose pieces
- harder to use more than one pot (?)

There is a third one I've been looking at; the Black Spruce (http://www.blacksprucegear.ca/)
Based on the pictures I'd say this:
+ long and fairly narrow, just like the tentipi (multiple pots)
+ stainless
- heavy (over 2 kg)
- loose pieces (just like the Yukon)

With shipping I'd expect the BS one to cost about the same as a Ti Yukon. If I was rich or had the skills I'd have a BS proportioned Ti firebox. or "infringe" on the Tentipi patent and make a copy of the that one in Ti.

Both the Yukon and the Black Spruce is based on the same design (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm)

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No-Camping.jpg

A roasting tray from Ikea works quite well.

It comes with a grill so with a bag of charcoal it serves as a quick BBQ but stood on a few stones it's a nice size for a small fire.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Yukon's only drawbacks are the fiddly grill wires which always roll into the flames at the wrong moment. They need to be replaced with a suitable piece of mesh, but this is harder to pack away

NS

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have used a few and I think the small tentipi box is the most practical as you can get a tidy blaze going that dose not burn out in 20 seconds because theres not enough room for fuel, like the small ones, but it dose rust.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The Yukon's only drawbacks are the fiddly grill wires which always roll into the flames at the wrong moment. They need to be replaced with a suitable piece of mesh, but this is harder to pack away

You can pick up a wee grill for the yukon, same size as the plates so fits in the bag. I got it from one the pound shops, other option for a better grill is a grilliput

3255474626_6fbdc38cdc.jpg

honey stove plus extension????

cheers,

Alan

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Some excellent replies thanks chaps... The honey stove looks not quite right, even with the hive extension and is around the Yukon price range so i would rather go for the latter if i did.

Its strange that theres such a gap in the market for such things, i thought there may be dozens of designs!

Had an interesting PM, so might have something sorted :)

Thanks again for the input, excellent advice as usual.

al.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I know you've said it's not quite right, but I'll honestly say my honey stove has been my best acquisition this year- packs down to nothing, cools fast and is feather light- I'd recommend it to anyone! burns wood, Hexi has a base for Trangia, super all-in-one cooker :campfire:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE