Perception, how do we look?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember going into a pub and being asked what i had been up to. Apparently I smelt of wood smoke. It was a very wet day and I was trying to keep midges out of my tarp, rather unsuccessfully until I found a tin of wilmas nordic summer. After putting what looked like boot polish over my bare skin I lost the midges. They preferred instant death from the flood coming out of the heavens!

The black colour didn't appear on the skin once applied but you smelt strongly of wood smoke. Apparently that marks you out as being up to something in the Lakes.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If you have seen it then it is not camouflage by definition
There is camo and then there is camo, if they don't identify you correctly then it has worked. They see an overgrown stump when in reality it is you in a ghillie suit.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I still don't feel comfortable at all when a public right of way crosses a farm yard or passes right next to a house, as is quite common here. The most extreme one I've experienced was when following a public footpath that went across a low concrete landing between two bungalows. The gap between the two houses was perhaps five metres and you could see in through the doors on either end. Very awkward!
There are farmers and there are farmers, clearly there are some who accept the idea of public paths crossing their land and others who do everything to deter the outsider and hide the footpaths.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is camo and then there is camo, if they don't identify you correctly then it has worked. They see an overgrown stump when in reality it is you in a ghillie suit.
I think there was a humour translation failure somewhere in there.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are farmers and there are farmers, clearly there are some who accept the idea of public paths crossing their land and others who do everything to deter the outsider and hide the footpaths.
There is a place I go once in a while where a right of way runs through a farm yard. I got talking with the old farmer and he described how unpleasant, unreasonable and plain rude members of the public could be. His version was that telling people not to mess with equipment, bother animals, or to ask them to wait a few moments while some large big of farm machinery was moved through the yard were regularly met with hostility and profanity.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I wonder how many people know the origins, traditionally one would be at risk only if in Beziers.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Or everywhere else there around.

The freemasons and protestants that are everywhere in the area didn't fall out of the sky.

Nowadays just covered as non religious.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I made an effort to gain a friendship with several landowners. They know my vehicle so I do not need to phone every night before a hunt. I would not hesitate to call if I felt it would be useful. Once, they came out, just after I let the air out of some Canada geese. He saw all three fall. I was dressed in my absolute finest ghillie snow camo, head to foot. I felt good, comfortable, happy with the success. We had a chat, I gave him 2 birds (about 20# each) for a bit of a feast.
Actually, he had started to keep falcons so my birds (steel shot) were a welcome addition to the feeding regimen.

I would not dream of going into a shop or pub dressed like that, so ridiculous.
I'll undress on the off-side of the truck in the parking lot, then put everything away.

My partner was developing a reputation as a very efficient bird hunter. I was pleased. Sloppy but good. Got out one night at the grocery store and a broken box of 12 ga loads rolled out onto the street. Oops!

You need to visit. It's about 25% shooting, 50% socializing and 25% meal prep
with a few of the birds. I just can't take this seriously.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Pupers

May 6, 2021
Dartmoor
I would never park across someone’s driveway and go and sit in their garden, so, sorry, I would never park in a gateway and just enter private land without permission of the land owner.

I don’t get why some people think they should have the right to trample or camp wherever they want to.

I rent a small piece of ground for Bushcrafting, camping and family BBQs etc, if I found anyone using it……..I would be tetchy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE