Pentlands overnight x1 (pictures)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Joe and I went out to spend one night in the Pentlands, just south of Edinburgh... Setting off from FLotterstone (£1.60 from the city centre...)

pentlands1.jpg

We headed up into the hills,

pentlands3.jpg

Looking over to the CAstlelaw firing range

pentlands2.jpg

Nearly at the top of Scald Law

pentlands5.jpg

Setting up camp on the SE side of South Black Hill

pentlands7.jpg

pentlands9.jpg

pentlands10.jpg

Heating the evening meal, Lynx Can meths stove, (seen tutorial on here, worked great)

pentlands8.jpg

Next morning, after a good sleep,

pentlands11.jpg

pentlands12-1.jpg

Heading down the hills, good weather again....

pentlands13.jpg

We walked back up to Flotterstone Inn to get the bus home,

pentlands14.jpg

visited by a butterfly....

The general area:

pentlands15.jpg

We had a great time, met only a few other walkers and hill runners, plenty of water carried, warm at night and my cooking was ok.......:rolleyes:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Great pics John , looks like you had a great time and not bad weather .

Brings back memories of my old stomping ground from when was a kid . I spent so much time in the pentlands walking running and mountain biking and it was the first place that i went solo camping when i was about 14 or 15 .

It is so easy to forget that we have some great hills right on our doorstep . I might just take the kids up for a walk over the holidays !

Craig..........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant wee trip :D and the photos really show how calm it is up there, even if it is right on Edinburgh's doorstep :)

Thank you for sharing :cool:

atb,
M

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Good thread, just as well the weather was kind to you, it's a bit exposed where you were.

Not the best spot for a hammock either eh?

If you skirt the Castlelaw Range on it's Southern side you can pop in and see the iron age dwelling along the path.

There's some woods I kip in nearer the Dreghorn junction (TA Wood) but it gets a bit too busy at weekends as it's full of TA bods.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE