pear type rucsac: where can I get one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Does anyone know if there are any manufacturers that produce the old style rucksac, (was very popular everywhere from the 1930s to about 1960) probably noone here knows what I am talking about but it had one main compartment with a series of large pockets around the outside, sort of looked like a pear when you had it on. My old one has now had it (made circa 1950) and I cant find a replacement. The great thing was that it was made from canvas, and didn't rise about the shoulder so you didn't get it caught on branches. Any help greatly appreciated.

Greg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
This is the closest I could find..... :?:

Pear.jpg

:rolmao:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've seen these come up on Ebay from time to time, I'll keep my eyes' open for you if you like. I just looked and couldn't see any right now but they do have the old style SAS/PARA Bergans which are basicall what you're looking for but in proofed heavey weight nylon (I've got a piccy but don't know how to attach it onto here)....it's on auction with just over 4 days left to run, with only one bid at £1.....yes £1 !!!!

Ebay item number is: 2286471653

Hope that's of use to you Mate...

Phil.

Maddave....Love it!!!! :eek:):

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
You can get Roe sacks in that shape no problem.
Have a look in the shooting mags, it's one of the traditional styles for them.

Cheers

Mark

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Adi007 said:
I know what you are talking about but I haven't seen one in years (or at lkeast a decent quality one). Weren't they called "patrol packs" or something like that?

If it's the same one these liik something like it but these are bigger at the top:
http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2040&d=

They look something like that, only problem is the old ones were canvas, the one I had was used by my dad in Korea, then Rhodesia, then me in the scouts. I dont want a nylon one as it just wont last. I'm now thinking of making my own. Maybe use an african trick and sew plastic fertilzer bags in as an inner lining and make it completely waterproof. Thanks to everyone who looked though.

Greg

Greg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Greg,
I know the type you mean, "A-frame" bergens, you could try Endicotts in Exeter (I'm sure I saw one there yesterday) or you could try one of the Swedish 35l day packs, not canvas but very good grade Cordura, which is an excellent pack for £10.
Neil

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks Tom Tom,

I'm well sorted now on posting pictures!!!

Greg,

As Neil 1 has pointed out what your after is an 'A" frame Rucksack. An original Bergen.

I have not seen one new for ages but you do occasionally see them in second hand shops. I saw one yesterday for sale in a second hand shop In Raglan with no frame ( here in NZ) which reminded me of your post hence I did a bit of looking around on the web.

The SAS / Para Bergen which was mentioned earlier on in this thread is the modern equivalent of the classic canvas Bergen. Goodl luck in finding one.

John

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
greg2935 said:
Does anyone know if there are any manufacturers that produce the old style rucksac, (was very popular everywhere from the 1930s to about 1960) probably noone here knows what I am talking about but it had one main compartment with a series of large pockets around the outside, sort of looked like a pear when you had it on. My old one has now had it (made circa 1950) and I cant find a replacement. The great thing was that it was made from canvas, and didn't rise about the shoulder so you didn't get it caught on branches. Any help greatly appreciated.

Greg

I just saw on thursday here in Gällivare Sweden a whole box of very old looking rucksacks, they told me that it is old army stuff. They look like the thing you describe.

cheers
Abbe

:chill:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE