PDA's in bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troyka

Forager
hi i realise this may be off topic? but u lot seem to have large 4x4s and so on so i thought it may slip through...

do you have a PDA (Windows CE, Palm Pilot, Handspring Visor, Psion) do you use it out in the feild?
if so what applications do you find useful?
i have just loaded an astro prog on mine for the next time im out of the city and can actually see some stars.. but i have to learn how to use it first..

Ian

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol....how can it be off topic buddy....you started the topic! :D

I sold my PDA a while ago when I left the IT world far behind and became a Stump Grinder and Tree Surgeon (best thing I ever did :) ).

You can get GPS attachments for PDA's so people might find it useful to use to mark certain spots where certain things grow, fungus, plants etc...

You can also store a whole load of plant ID pics and discriptions on it to use while you're out or for that matter whole bushcraft/survival books that come in PDF format. You can get the US Army Survival Manual online so could copy and paste that into a word doc and be able to take the thing out with you for referance while you're practicing stuff...

I don't miss my PDA at all and to be honest didn't use it all that much when I had it...hence I sold it but there's a few ideas that you might find useful with yours.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I have an Ipaq but to be honest never take it out with me for a couple of reasons
1 The outdoors tends to be wetter than my office and I do not want to risk trashing my entire diary, address book etc.
2 It also seems a but at odds taking a 21st century technology gadget with me when I'm attempting to do minimalist knife fire type stuff. a bit like fitting your tent out with central heating
3 I do all this stuff to forget work. Having my IPAQ with me there would be a temptation to just do one quick e-mail then two then it's Adios time off baby!
You can get PDA GPS software and make notes on plant recognition etc. but wouldn't it be easier to take a map and a compass and books on plant, tree, fungus recognition.
Less batteries, more environmentally friendly and as my old boss said low tech is low risk

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I use my Ipaq outdoors for ordnance survey GPS mapping using memory-map so to keep track of my hikes and store them all digitally.

I would however be very interested as to where I can get survival books / plant/tree guides online that will go on the pda.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a Mitac Mio168 PDA with integral GPS and it's a cool little thing, but moisture is always a worry. I have a complete workshop manual for my motorcycle on it, TomTom navigator GPS software, US survival manual and some 1st aid info as well as the usual stuff

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
maddave said:
I have a Mitac Mio168 PDA with integral GPS and it's a cool little thing, but moisture is always a worry. I have a complete workshop manual for my motorcycle on it, TomTom navigator GPS software, US survival manual and some 1st aid info as well as the usual stuff

I bought something similar to this: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/cat_id/EQUIACCEWSTO/product-Aquapac-GPS-Case-25340.htm

from a store in the peak district (The Peakstore) but wasn't anywhere near as expensive or bulky/heavey and also fits a pocket pc in without problems. (Where as a pocket pc won't fit in this one.)

Works wonders when the rain start pouring and you still wont to be able to use your pda outside.

I even tried a river submergal (using tissue paper not the pda) and it came out bone dry.

Think the one i brought was about £4. I will try and find the manufactuer name tonight.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have one but have never taken it out with me. It's a rough world for my delicate PDA, and it kind of spoils the mood anyway.

[edit] Great link bam :D.

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
I took my Palm to Turkey for 3 weeks with about 6 electronic books loaded on it for those nights when it's too dark to do much but you're not tired enough to sleep yet. With the back light on you can read away to your hearts contect. :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I no longer use my Handspring but it was quite handy for certain medical stuff.

Tidetool was fantastic for wildfowling and I found it very accurate. You could get tidetables including tidal height sunrise, sunset and moonstate. Then I lost my data and tried to reload it and found the Admiralty had objected to breach of copyright or something, so it no longer covered the UK.

Some astronomy programs are very good- one (maybe Planetarium) let you identify almost anything in the night sky.

I think there was another palm program that combined the functions of almanac, watch and calculator, enabling you to navigate at sea with a sextant. Of course, if you're going to use electronic wizardry, a GPS is easier.....

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have recently got a Garmin IQM5.

pt-iquem5-LG.jpg

It uses windows based operating system and has replaceable SD memory cards. It also has built in GPS with routing (shows upcoming turns). It also plays music and videos. I am still learning to use the many functions it has to offer. It is rather expensive though.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Wayne said:
hi all.

i have been after a pda for a while, however i have no idea about the various models.

Can someone explain the difference between the main contenders to a complete luddite?
I know very little but
I wanted a PDA cos I have my outlook diary at home, my outlook diary at work and my paper diary to lug around. This was like having three watches. instead of what's the time? it was when is that appointment?
I went for a PDA that runs a version of windows simply because my computer uses windows and although you can get software to synchronise Palm software based PDA's it seemed more straightforward to me having everything talking the same language.
I looked at lots of shops:-Currys, dixons etc. but ended up geting the cheapest one I could find which was Argos. I wasn't sure what I needed so why spend lots? I found I could spend lots more getting one that could take pictures but why? I have a camera.
Do I need one that does e-mail?
no cos my p.c. does that
I ended up with an IPAQ 1710 which was colour and did everything I needed but was fairly cheap. The only annoying thing was the calculator. Spend over £90.00 and the calculator doesn't work to BODMAS and it only gives answers to 2 D.P. which is boring.

If I can offer any advice it's this Don't let the sales staff persuade you to buy functions that you don't need

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I had a hankering for a pocket pc, and after some deliberation i elected to get an IPAQ. The one i went for was an IPAQ 4150, which was about 250 quid. I duly ordered one from amazon, so imagine my joy when i unwrapped the parcel and there was a IPAQ 5550 worth about 450 quid.. :D And they never mentioned it so i kept it :D :D ....

Nice bit of kit too....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE