Partridge Stew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good morning fellow BCUK users

As a fellow bushman, i would like to share with you my personal recipe for partridge stew. For it is a dish that i have served many times when foes have joined for supper.

This recipe serves 6 average bushman depending on the length of time they have been foraging without a catch.

6 partridge beasts
3 large onions
2 red onions
3 large garlic cloves
580g new potatoes
1 Egg Yolk - beaten then fried using woodland gangnier (a tool crafted from the bark of a pine tree)
100g pine nuts
1/2 juice of a lemon
1tsp coriander
1tsp nutmeg
1tsp saffron
80g dried figs
50g dried apricots
250ml of chicken stock (unless a bushcrafted/homemade broth is available)
200ml white wine (I have usually used homemade examples but i find soave works well)

The dish is best cooked over a cauldron or over Dakota pit fire (works especially well), tangines can also be used for the 'contemporary urban' bushman.

First the bushman should make sure his cutlery are sharpened and his foul gutted and tenderized.

The bushman must use their blade to slice the 6 beasts into chunks before warming the bird in oil (i used home made coconut oil). After Adding the beaten egg yolk, the bushman's eyes should make sure the bird is browned through before he removes the chopped beast from the heat.

One browned most bush foragers discard the juice produced by the beast, my technique however is to use it to treat my bushguest's tastebuds with flavour. Instead, the bushman should add the wine, lemon juice, garlic, chopped onions, potatoes, apricots, figs and stock to the juices and simmer for 5 bush minutes before adding the rest of the herbs and seasoning.

Return the partidges to the pan and let them simmer on whatever cooking apparatus you are using for 15 minutes. And make sure the fowl is fully cooked upon removal.

Serve to bushfriends with a side of bread and olives.

Thankyou BNPB

I have also written a poem about my stew, its really good and should be preached before eating this stew.

Stew, stew,
your partridge stars to brew,
adding spices gives you flavour
when added right on queue.

My glorious woodland beast
for you have become my feast
my tastebuds tremble as you cook
and eating you gives me peace.

For thou natural gracelands
thy birds that have been slayed,
i do not hunt with my bow
but i love to chase its stave.

Thou beast is brothing,
Hunger sets in, my bushguests plotting.
who gets most,
but i have the biggest portion,
i am the heathland host.

Dusk draws near,
I hear nothing but cackles a quiver of fear
for i am the boyeur,
chef, entrepeneur.

Thankyou bushpals, i hope you enjoy my stewem just as much as the partridge stew itself.

BNPB - boatnose 'kitchen poet - fresh air fanatic ' panbow

remember, keep your friends close, but your bows closer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE