Old recipe for using up a sudden glut of rhubarb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rhubarb Ice-Cream

Ingredients

2lbs rhubarb cut into chunks
2 large egg yolks
1/4 pint single cream
9oz sugar
2oz caster sugar
1/4 pint double cream

Method
Place rhubarb in a saucepan with sugar. Cover and stew gently until soft and pulpy.
Allow to cool. Beat the egg yolks and caster sugar together until pale and creamy.
Heat single cream untili it just begins to simmer, pour onto the egg mixture. Stir well
and pour into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Heat, stirring continuously
until the mixture thickens. Allow to cool. Whip the double cream until thick and fold into the
cold custard with the rhubarb. Turn the mixture into a freeze proof container, cover and
freeze. Stand in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with ginger sauce.

Ginger Sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons ginger syrup
4 tablespoons water
6 pieces of stem ginger, thinly sliced

Method
Put the sugar into a saucepan with the water and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil and and boil until thickened. Add lemon juice, ginger syrup and slivers of ginger and serve at once with the ice-cream. Do not freeze.

Toddy's notes….Rhubarb and ginger is a traditional, and favourite, jam recipe up here. This ice-cream one uses the syrup from the ginger jar as well as the stem ginger.
I think that this ice-cream must be incredibly calorific….but my sweet toothed husband and Son2 will enjoy it :)

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I pulled 8lb for the mother in law this week and it hasn't made a dent, so I can see this being used, thank Mary.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm fond of rhubarb :) and it's an early rich crop when the other fruits have yet to come in. It does rather come in quantity though.
I don't make wine these days, but it does make a very good sparkling drink like elderflower champagne, and it makes good syrup for use later in the year, but it's not very strongly tasting. It needs other things added to it to keep a bit of sharpness not just syrup sweetness, iimmc.

Any other recipes gratefully received. There's always crumble, cobbler, pie and jam :) but something a little different is a quiet pleasure :D

M

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I made some rhubarb wine once forgot about for a couple of years and when I found it again it was quite palatable but by jingo it was strong! Make some wine Mary with any future excess ☺

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Yum! I love rhubarb, the proper old fashioned stuff that makes your mouth pucker, not the namby-pamby stuff that they sell these days that has very little taste.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rhubarb and orange crumble is a popular dish around here. The orange seems to compliment rhubarb well.

Mmmm…that sounds like another good mix :D Rhubarb, orange, crunchy buttery crumble, maybe a drizzle of black chocolate orange sauce …. or even hot marmalade.

I've just had dinner, and I'm hungry :eek: :eek:

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Strawberry rhubarb compote is a favourite here. I am under strict instructions to triple last years output!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Rhubarb makes cracking wine that's what I tend to do with it! Blend or crush about a bin bag full into a 5 gallon bucket with 4 to 5 kgs of sugar, top it up to the 4.5 gallon mark with hot water, add a piece of grated root ginger about the length of your thumb, a carton of Orange juice and a cup of strong black tea. Sprinkle some yeast on top and leave it to ferment away until it's stopped bubbling. Lovely stuff!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Strawberry rhubarb compote is a favourite here. I am under strict instructions to triple last years output!

Rhubarb and strawberry makes very good jam :) and it's a nice filling in a pie too. Nicely eeks out the first flush of strawberries while the rhubarb is in haste to make big thick stems.

mick91, that recipe certainly sounds simple enough :) I'm just not much of a drinker, and I end up with too many bottles that are eventually poured out on the compost heap.

I'm not fond of ice-cream, but I do like sorbet, and rhubarb makes good sorbet :)

M

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thanks for that Mary, we've just pulled the rhubarb for the third time this year and I'm truly fed-up of crumble and custard, ice-cream should make a nice change :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE