Swedish Army Cook Set Upgrade(s) + Phots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
I don’t know if this idea has been posted previously – there’s so much about Swedish Army cook sets on the site I couldn’t read them all so with no sign after 5 pages I just scanned the headings of the remaining posts.

‘Necessity, is the mother of invention’, so they say. It certainly prompted some R&D on my long serving Swedish Army Trangia/SVEA (SAT) set following a week of cold over-nighters a few months back.

Brought back into service after some disappointment with the Brit Army Hexe replacement even the SAT struggled to get up to heat quickly in the early hours even with internal fuel level set correctly and pre-heater trough in use (known issues with alcohol stoves in low temps!). The near freezing water drawn from a local source seemed to take ages to boil.

Discussion about ground heat-sink from the burner and insulation options followed. That resulted in acquisition/construction of an insulation mat made from a plumbers mat (B&Q £6) and a (stainless) preheat dish from a coffee container (Dunnelm £1.99) – a perfect fit in the bottom of the windshield. Bloom and boil times became notably reduced. Hot beverages and boil-in-bags were knocked up more speedily.

Those mods (and plenty of time to talk during the task in hand) prompted the question of what else might be done to improve the SAT, driven by the question(s) - ‘What-if?’

What-if – no alcohol?
Widely known (and practised?) the windshield can be used to burn heat any suitably combustible material, containing it and focusing the heat – a practice made perhaps more acceptable with the stainless dish in situ to act as a base/ash pan.

What-if – no Boil-in-bag(s)? – Specifically what-if only raw, uncooked food is available?
One of the shortcomings of alcohol stoves is the limited degree of simmer control. The ‘civvy’ version (Trangia) of the SVEA burner can be fitted with a purpose made simmer-ring and used to reasonable effect but it doesn’t fit the larger military version. Yes, the Tatonka simmer ring does fit over the SVEA burner but in some cases doesn’t adequately shut off the covered jets. A bloke on UToob suggests that this can cause ‘thermal run-away’ and result in a dangerous overheating and conflagration of the alcohol in the burner. (The least that it does is use more fuel than necessary).
Of course you could resort to the use of natural material(s) in the windshield, if available/permissible etc but note that to cook a meat stew through you will need about an hours worth of fuel.

A potential alternative solution which provides a long duration simmer option, uses mostly existing SAT components, still fits within the pots and limits the draw on fuel was created as follows:

A spare burner lid for a mil burner was sourced; A jeweller’s alcohol stove was sourced; (Ebabe £11) The adjustable wick section was unscrewed; The top section of the jeweller’s stove fuel tank was cut out; A hole was cut in the mil burner spare lid and the adjustable wick section inserted and locked into place using the cut out tank section. An extra long wick was installed in the adjuster.

Cooking: The burner unit is used in the normal way to bring water (with veg) to the boil and to seal (fry) the meat in the SAT top pan (note the extra upper holes and tent peg supports through the wind shield for the top pan use and the extra holes in the base for tent peg supports to improve stability during cooking). With all ingredients brought (and kept) to high heat the burner is doused with the normal cap and ensuring that the flame is totally extinguished the wick burner/adjuster is screwed onto the SAT burner, lit and adjusted as appropriate. (Bottom tent pegs facilitate easy removal of windshield for changeover; additional windshield holes/pegs aid best position for wick/simmer setting).

It takes a little while for the (covered) pot to come back up to simmer but it will then happily bubble away. From one SAT burner filling a small stew (see below) was cooked (60+ minutes) and there was still fuel left in the burner.

The mods are fairly cheap; they don’t affect the original use; they are compact; they can be used even when no natural fuel sources are available; use (should) leave no ground sign; the stove hardly needs be attended whilst in the simmer phase; the versatility of the SAT is extended. (After use the adjustable wick section is sealed in a plastic bag inside the pot during carriage).

Test meal ingredients: 250 millilitres of water; 300 grams meat (beef/lamb/rabbit etc); 3 small potatoes; carrot; 1 parsnip; ¼ turnip (Swede down south!); ½ small onion; 1 stock cube; ! tablespoon pearl barley; 1 teaspoon maize oil; 1 sachet of Marmite! Meat and veg were cubed and separate zip-lock bagged before departure. (The meat was rolled in flour).

IMHO this makes an already excellent field cook set even better. :)

If you click on a phot it should enlarge enough for you to read any captions.

SAT1..jpg SAT2..jpg SAT3..jpg SAT4..jpg SAT5..jpg SAT6..jpg SAT7..jpg SAT8..jpg SAT9..jpg SAT10..jpg SAT11..jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looks good and well thought out. And apparently it works in your climate.
At -20 it might be an issue, but then again natural fuel is not exactly scarce around here. ;)

Now that pouch..... what is it?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks each for the positive comments.

Ahaa RonW - minus 20+ been there, done that - Coleman Peak One Petrol!

I'm surprised that your Scandy Optimus/Primus/SVEA guys didn't come up with a mini pressure burner for the enmanskok back in the day ! :)

The pouch is one half of the Swiss M90 personal webbing kidney pouch set with the straps altered.

You can pick them up for about £3 - £5 per set on Ebay (UK). They make great semi-waterproof containers.

I find the material is great for the British climate/terrain - wet, cold, muddy. I've purchased a few of the large back packs made of the same stuff and created water bottle pouches, side pouches and even a complete low profile rucksack. I will post in due course.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I really like my SAT cooker and while I have tried a few other I always return to it. This is a well thought out idea which extends the use of the set and is some thing I will have a go at. Might just add a 2nd burner with wick "intact" to the parts rather than mess with a mod but its still your idea. Thanks

By the way would you want to swap an anter handled fire steel for som of that matting?

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks!

Thanks each for the positive comments

Ahaa RonW - minus 20+ been there, done that - Coleman Peak One Petrol!

I'm surprised that your Scandy Optimus/Primus/SVEA guys didn't come up with a mini pressure burner for the enmanskok back in the day ! :)

I have a suspicion that military budget/economics had a very large influence on that.

I am surprised about many things around here, like for instance no one came up with a decent, locally produced civilian 4x4?
Given all the gravelroads around here.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Nice mods Jaeger, and you've found a good pouch in that m90.
I do like the simplicity of the adjustable simmer mod. The silence is one of the main advantages of alcohol in my view.

If anyone is interested in modding for petrol/coleman, I've tried using a Radius 46 burner/tank assembly. Works very well, and fits into the pot for storage. Next step is to build some kind of bracket for it to secure it to the windshield.

1422562338-2015-01-29_19_opt-jpg.14777

modding and testing outlined here:
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/swedish-m40-b.29020/#post-296542
and here:
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/coffeebreak.29457/

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Hammock_man - Re the mat, I would have swapped but I haven't any left, just managed to get two out one £6 mat (B&Q) and one of my offspring has claimed the other!

RonW - I suspect that the stove development had something to do with the way in which an army perceives it will fight - offensive/on the move - defensive/relatively static. Mind you Optimus did produce some petrol pressure burners used by the Brit military - No7 stove I think (I used them as a junior soldier back in the '70s during exped training, not tactically).
Re Swedish 4x4 I take it that you don't count the ovloV XC estates? Perhaps a civvy Sugga or Tundra then!!

It sounds like pysen78 is going down the petrol route but he's right about the noise issue - the N07s really roared. (But watch out pysen78 they also overheated!

PS I did look at using a hurricane lamp which seemed to have a more robust wick adjuster (another option?) but then I came across the jewellers/dental burner.

PPS Note the small SS funnel in the kit - I have found that some (replacement) rubber gaskets for the SAT burners are not alcohol resistant and if the burner is left fueled up (mine was all the time recently as I've been it using it 2-3 times a week) the gasket begins to melt and clog the burner jets so I've started to decant any left-over fuel back into the bottle at the end of a day's use.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Great ideas there Jaeger; thanks for taking the time to post.

My Swedish Army cookset was my go-to choice for ages, but I've been neglecting it in recent times. This has inspired me to get it back into action!

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Pleasure Dark Horse Dave,

My SAT too had been on a bit of a sojourn until the situation mentioned in my BCB cooker/Fire Dragon fuel post occurred a few months back. Prior to that I had been on butane and/or pressurised petrol and kero (stove-wise not consuming!).

The availability of a decent variety of Boil-in-Bags (and at cheap prices) has prompted my continued use of the SAT and the prospect of throwing a bag of raw meat and veg at one of my offspring and coaching him how to cook up a reasonable stew on the SAT promises to be fun.

On the subject of those BIBs here is some info that those uninitiated may find of use - NOTE - the comments are based on MY taste so if in doubt - try it out! (yourself):

(Ex) Military Boil-in-the Bag meals:

Pork Sausage and Beans. Not bad - Just like the Heinz tins-of. (add curry powder/paste/sauce for an 'upgrade' :lmao:

Chicken Sausage and Beans. As above but IMHO with less flavour. (add above or Tabasco! Green is mild Red is HOT!).

Barbeque sausage and beans. As PSB but tangy-er.

Beans/Bacon/Potato. Not bad, bacon ought to be smoked for more flavour (add extra(s) as above).

Stewed Steak and Veg. Wholesome but a bit mushy and a slight taste that doesn't seem quite right.

Sausage Casserole. A bit 'ish' - Think beefy Heinz veg soup with pork sausages.

Paella. Quite wholesome & tasty (add curry powder etc to upgrade to a sort of Chicken Tikka!).

Jambalaya (US MRE). Only suitable as fish bait!:lmao:

BUT - potentially cheaper (and tastier still if you or your better half can cook) - Lakeland Boil-in-Bag bags - pack of 50 for £4.59 - cook-freeze-reheat in one bag as they state.

All the best. :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Lakeland "Boil in the bag" are what the SAT was made for. If you don't have a bag sealer Ali'm foil and a household iron will do the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE