Parangs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Since parangs and machetes are often mentioned in this forum though usually commercially manufactured ones, I thought I’d share with you the parangs that I use here in Borneo.

I made none of them and my contribution has been limited to cordage, zip ties and restraints for carrying the sheath which is why this thread is in Edged Tools not DIY.

Parangs1.jpg

The top one is a custom made heavy parang for heavy work and for dispatching boar; the idea being that the blade tip would enable a under body thrust to the chest or heart. The blade weight would also easily lop off a big boars head (not that I would ever get that close to one). The wood is sandalwood and has a very nice scent. Because of the weight I seldom bring it out for more than a short walk or when heavy duty chopping is needed. The steel is a Land Rover spring. It was made in the Temburong district of Brunei. It now has a couple of bad nicks in the edge the result of a recent spell of chopping while building a “home” for some BCUK people who may be coming out next year.

The second one (below the Opinel 8) is a Kayan pattern mandau but made by a Penan blacksmith in a Kenyah community (all these are interior tribes). The pattern is the traditional headhunters weapon though one expressly intended for that purpose would probably be a bit longer. The most distinctive feature is that the blade is convex on the right side and concave on the left. It is sharpened on one side only. It would be awkward for a left-hander to use but for a right-hander I think it would accentuate the right to left stroke and cut right-left.

It cuts and clears growth quite well but if you use it carelessly to blaze a tree on your right, it is likely to glance off and scare you as the blade comes towards your legs. If used on the left it will cut into the wood without taking out the bark and marking the blaze. I think, and am happy to be corrected, that the shape is meant to assist in cutting off heads cleanly much in the same way that an angled blow cuts across the woods grain more affectively than a strictly perpendicular one.

Another explanation is that it was traditionally used as a draw knife to work on the canoes. Perhaps any weapons experts here could let us know. I have seen a head severed very easily by the sister blade to this one even in the hands of a relatively inexperienced “head-hunter” (the victim was a pig!). If I had any “scalps” there would be a lock of the victim’s hair on the handle. This one just has some carvings done by another blacksmith who replaced the previous one. The sheath is a very lightweight wood like balsa and a smaller second knife is usually carried in an attached palm sheath but I do not carry it trusting the lighter work to a pocket folder. The little knife (3”) originally was supposed to be used to trim off excess tissue from the severed heads and to detach the lower jaw which was not collected by the hunters. That may be so but nowadays it is used for less gruesome things.

The third one is a Baram Iban parang. As an EDC it is superb and is my usual first choice for comfort and if away for a few days. It is the lightest of them all but cuts and chops almost as well as the first two. Because it is lighter it is less work for trail cutting or clearing than the others. What is seldom, if ever, mentioned in the Parang vs. Axe discussions is that most of the cutting needed here is to cut small branches, tall grasses, ferns, vines, creepers etc. not 6 inch diameter saplings (these you walk around). In a sense it is like swordplay and a light blade is easier to manipulate and change direction. However, I have seen a 30m tree felled by one of these type of parangs in 10-12 minutes in the hands of an expert.

Parangs2.jpg

The fourth one (the sheepsfoot next to the Mora) is a Malay parang from Sabah. This is the standard work knife used by farmers and other rural workers. They use it for everything – killing animals, chopping firewood, improvised structures and chasing away the daughter’s boyfriend. Very robust. I use it for batonning wood for the BBQ, digging mud out around tyres (if I forgot the changkol) and as well as cutting and clearing. It often stays in the 4x4. I carry it when I believe not much cutting is needed but just to be on the safe side or if I am in the company of people who are worried by bigger and more scarier looking knives such as when I am bringing some bird watchers on a nature walk. Non-local birdwatchers, I should say. It is no match or the others in the cutting and chopping stakes, however.

I would be happy to try and answer questions or hear from any parang enthusiasts here. These are very necessary tools over here that I have come to appreciate and admire.

Reactions: leon-1

leon-1

Thanks BOD, nice little collection you have got there. It's nice to hear of the different attributes, uses of these tools and how they compare when push comes to shove.:)

It was also good to hear someone mention the axe versus machete who looks at things from a practical view.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for that, Bod. I have long been an admirer of the parang. At one time (it still may be there), there was a video clip online somewhere of natives making one. It was fascinating. On the headhunter parang--what steel did they use? Also, are you at all familiar with their method of hardening and tempering? How well does that headhunter blade hold an edge? Is it pretty hard? What would the natives use to sharpen one of those? I understand what you said about using it to cut smaller brush, and walking around thicker saplings. That's exactly the way we did it in Brazil with our machetes. Thanks for posting that. Todd

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spine Thickness

This varies. 5-mm tapering to 3mm for the Malay parang; 5-6mm for the boar dispatcher tapering to 2-3mm; 5mm tapering to 2.5mmfor the mandau and -4mm tapering to about 2mm for the Iban parang.

Concave/Convex

The mandau is concave/convex along almost the entire length of the blade (becomes normal just before the tang enters the handle). It is concave / convex from just below the spine to the edge.

The two Iban scimitar shapes ones are what I think you call flat grind and just taper straight to the edge.

The Malay parang is slightly convex on both sides hence it robustness. How does that compare with the Army golok?

Steel Forging Sharpening

The steel is usually car springs though I think the lighter Iban parang is file steel. Cheap reliable steel. All quickly get to a sharp edge and hold it reasonably well through a days chopping of light stuff. Unless you had serious stuff to cut every day it should be okay for a few days.

Sharpening is traditionally done with a big flattish sandstone type of rock or in the field by finding one or splitting a rock in half with the spine as the picture shows my colleague doing. He is holding a mandau but a variant with a modified sheepsfoot tip. Just guessing but this may be due to the lack of a need to thrust the blade into a person since head hunting was outlawed. Otherwise it is similar to the mandau in my picture.

P7210042.jpg

Forging is a very simple looking affair but I suspect requiring a lot of skill. A simple bamboo bellows (or if a high tech affair some hand cranked cast off device modified from a scrap heap) Anvil is a rectangular block of steel anchored to a wooden base, a crude hammer or something nicked from a logging camp motor workshop and a simple trough make up the smithy’s kit. I see what they do but I am not that clued up on the forging process and probably miss stuff that the knife makers would pick up. Stuart has I believe a video of a mandau being made. I do not have digital pictures

Singteck

You an orang Sarawak originally?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE