Paramo Feura Windproof Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I've been after a smock for a while. The kind of thing with a big chest pocket on the front, hood, and a nice airy fit.
I have a buffalo special 6, but find it's too hot to do anything more than sit around in.

The kind of thing I'm after would be breathable enough to walk in (By that I mean, walk up steep hills, with a rucksack on, as opposed to walk a dog), but cover me enough so that I don't get that exposed windy coldness on my arms that you get when on top of a ridge.

The sort of thing I'm after would be the real life equivalent of this:
mountaineer.jpg

I've come across the Paramo Feura windproof smock, which seems to tick the box.

Does anyone have one who can tell me what they're like and if they'll be any good for what I want?

Alot of people recommend using nikwax on them to waterproof them which seems like a sensible idea. At 50 quid they seem like the thing I'm after at a fair price for once.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The only downside I've found with Paramo is the double layer make up, I find it too warm for most of the year but great for winter.

I prefer the flexibility of a lighter windshirt and layer up underneath depending on the weather. I like the Montane shirts, either the pull on Featherlite or the zipped Lite-Speed, both pack to the size of a tennis ball and offer great protection from the wind.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
That's what I expected the paramo smock to be like? Like the montane featherlite smock but made out of cotton or something. How much thicker and heavier is it than that?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Fuera is just a single layer of the outer fabric without the analogy lining. It's a great super-tough windproof layer, very breathable and light, and available in bushy colours as well as the usual blue, red etc. The well-shaped wired hood can be rolled down into itself for running, biking etc.
It is not remotely waterproof even when treated, but will hold off a shower. Over a fleece, it provides a good warm-when-wet combo. I carry one as a windproof layer when it is not necessary to don a full waterproof.

PS I had the action man mountaineer! His orange union jack smock triggered a life-time interest in smocks!

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
IMG_00000031.jpgl

This was cheap, good against wind (well it is a swedish snow smock) surplus from army store for about £7 quid! Breathable works a treat and you look like action man yourself. I nearly dyed the second one that same bright orange too! :)

There are some more images of this rather poorly dyed top around the threads but I can't remember where. I did a mini write up for it for someone asking about them.

Martin :hatscarf:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have one of the paramo's. Had it for about 3 years now, really good smock. Lightweight, packs small, windproof, i find it sheds water quite well too. You wouldn't be dissapointed. :)

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
The Fuera is just a single layer of the outer fabric without the analogy lining. It's a great super-tough windproof layer, very breathable and light, and available in bushy colours as well as the usual blue, red etc. The well-shaped wired hood can be rolled down into itself for running, biking etc.
It is not remotely waterproof even when treated, but will hold off a shower. Over a fleece, it provides a good warm-when-wet combo. I carry one as a windproof layer when it is not necessary to don a full waterproof.
!

i have one in black and agree with above wind proof yes light and packable yes shower proof well sort of if proofed also carry a montanne featherlite &lite-speed for the wet both roll to the size of a orange for me its a good combo

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Cheers for the help guys.

Nonsuch. I've been after a smock like this for ages. I got my buffalo about 7 years ago, but it failed to measure up to what I wanted, and I've been waiting to come across the sort of thing I want. The other day I was tidying my Parents garden shed, and came across some old action man clothes, there was a little smock which was pretty much what I've been looking for, and it reminded me to have a google for a real life version. The paramo feura was the one that kept coming up, and so I figured it'd be the best one.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I would imagine action man is wearing something in Ventile. maybe a bit too heavy for what you want. I use a buffalo wind shirt (like special 6 without the liner and kangaroo pocket)for mincing about in. Not at all waterproof but keeps off the wind. dries mega quickly, pretty functional but no hood as standard.

I got the old Fuera jacket that teams up with the taiga fleece. it's nice stuff and as said fuera(single layer) is windproof but not waterproof even after treatment. wouldn't use my paramo gear for dirty scraffting but great for a wander about.

Along with montanes, keela nuetronic

http://www.keela.co.uk/outerwear/multi-activity-jackets.html

braemar_handwarmers_b.jpg

Ventile (just for action man reference)
http://www.west-winds.co.uk/windtop.htm

http://www.snowsled.com/outdoor-clothing/ventile-clothing/

http://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Windshirt.html

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Cheers for the help guys.

Nonsuch. I've been after a smock like this for ages. I got my buffalo about 7 years ago, but it failed to measure up to what I wanted, and I've been waiting to come across the sort of thing I want. The other day I was tidying my Parents garden shed, and came across some old action man clothes, there was a little smock which was pretty much what I've been looking for, and it reminded me to have a google for a real life version. The paramo feura was the one that kept coming up, and so I figured it'd be the best one.

Yes AM was the inspiration for my formative years. After I went to see Where Eagles Dare when I was 11, I kitted my 12 inch chaps up in white snow suits like Richard Burton and Clint. Then many years later I found a company that made a life-size replica of the reversible splinter cammo / white smock worn in the film - Extreme Outdoor Clothing (no connection). Happiness!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for posting this Lostplanet !, i now find myself wanting a new smock. Any thoughts, opinions, owners reviews, on the west wind-snowsled & country innovation /.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
This thread got me thinking, had a "root" around in the wardrobe, & found a brand new paramo feura hidden underneath a coat, got this 4/5yrs ago, tried it on then put it away..

Rob

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Might be worth starting a new thread about ventile, lots of members use it or have done. If I could afford a ventile garment I would definitely try one. BCUK even produced a ventile coat a while back. I think it was only the manufacturing or material costs thats stopped it happening.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23673

have a search too plenty of discussion around the pros and cons.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I've had a Moss coloured Fuera for about two years now and wouldn't swap it for anything. I carry it everywhere except when it is pouring down. It has been the one thing that I have packed for every trip. It packs small, cuts wind, keeps me warm with just a t-shirt under it, better over a Swanndri Ranger or with a merino shirt and a Buff, dries very quickly when wet whilst keeping the chill off me and all this whatever the season.
The sleeves roll up on nice days and the cuffs tighten when it's chilly. The hood is good, great even, with a wool hat under it. It sheds snow easily, midgies hate it and I LOVE it. £50 well spent!

I discovered a long time ago on a trip to Knoydart that breathability can be better than fully waterproof and this smock was something that I jumped at when it came along. I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I run hotter than most folk I know so cold doesn't really bother me and I'm fine in this all year.

Seriously you should go and look at one and give it a try.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've had a Moss coloured Fuera for about two years now and wouldn't swap it for anything. I carry it everywhere except when it is pouring down. It has been the one thing that I have packed for every trip. It packs small, cuts wind, keeps me warm with just a t-shirt under it, better over a Swanndri Ranger or with a merino shirt and a Buff, dries very quickly when wet whilst keeping the chill off me and all this whatever the season.
The sleeves roll up on nice days and the cuffs tighten when it's chilly. The hood is good, great even, with a wool hat under it. It sheds snow easily, midgies hate it and I LOVE it. £50 well spent!

I discovered a long time ago on a trip to Knoydart that breathability can be better than fully waterproof and this smock was something that I jumped at when it came along. I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea but I run hotter than most folk I know so cold doesn't really bother me and I'm fine in this all year.

Seriously you should go and look at one and give it a try.

how are these sized are they fitted or with a bit of room in them? - I'm usualy a small 38" chest but would like to wear one either with a singleT or on aoccation a lightweight fleece under it...

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
My 2p : I would say they are on the generous side. I am a 46 chest and I am fine in a Large. I also have an X-Large and these are fine too, more room under for layers. Because of the way the cuffs and hood cinch up, fit is not so critical anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE