Paragraphs in Books That Make You Want To Be There.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've been reading a lot of Jack London over the last couple of years, but this paragraph from Smoke Bellew took me straight to the Klondike:

"Especially he loved his camp at the end of the day, and in it he saw a picture which he ever yearned to paint and which he knew he would never forget - a beaten place in the snow, where burned his fire; his bed, a couple of rabbit-skin robes spread on fresh chopped spruce-boughs; his shelter, a stretched strip of canvas that caught and threw back the heat of the fire; the blackened coffee pot and pail resting on a length of log; the moccasins propped on sticks to dry, the snow-shoes up-ended in the snow; and across the fire the wolf-dogs snuggling to it for the warmth, wistful and eager, furry and frost-rimed, with bushy tails curled protectingly over their feet; and all about, pressed backward but a space, the wall of encircling darkness.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm would have to be Richard (Dick) Pronneke in "One man's Wilderness". My copy is out on loan otherwise I'd quote some; but his turn of phrase about life up at his cabin is really magical for me. Have a deep longing to be there when-ever I read through.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
South of the North, yet North of the South. Peering out from the shadows of the past, into the promise of the future. Lies the city of a hundred hills, Atlanta. W.E.B Dubois. Souls of the black folk.
I always loved this line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE